Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need Help to choose closed headphones for my wife.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Help to choose closed headphones for my wife.

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hi Guys,

 

I have been reading a lot on this forum and need some help. I am looking to buy headphones for under $500. It will be used without amp most of the time but will be nice if it works with amp as well. She listen to all type of music and like neutral sound with some bass, which complements everything (I hope I made sense here). I have few examples what she likes, she listened to B&W P5's, V-Moda M80 and liked them, she also like my MEElectronics A151.

 

Few things need to be considered:

- She will be using them in office so they need to be little quite outside (I think closed will help here ?)

- Using it for travel so need to be portable but average size are good.

- They should look good :)

 

I have choose few headphone and want to know if  I have better options in that price range.

 

Top Contenders 

- B & W P7

- NAD VISO HP50

 

 

- Kef M500

- Sennheiser Momentum 

- VModa M100

- Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (How do they look in person compared to others here ?)

- MrSpeakers Mad Dog (v3.2) (They look too big I guess but heard good things about them)

 

Recommended Here

- AKG K550 (back in list after reading other reviews - Out as isolation not quite as good and leaks sound.)

- NAD Electronics VISO HP50

 

I need to buy them in couple of days, so any help will be appreciated. Thanks for you help in advance.


Edited by ndhaliwal - 1/22/14 at 7:26am
post #2 of 22

I have read a lot of good things about the AKG K550. You may want to add them to your list.

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Out View Post
 

I have read a lot of good things about the AKG K550. You may want to add them to your list.

I thought you guys will help reduce the list lol. Added to the list thanks for your reply

post #4 of 22

One more to look at is the NAD Electronics VISO HP50. Sorry for making your list longer, please don't hate me ;)

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Out View Post
 

One more to look at is the NAD Electronics VISO HP50. Sorry for making your list longer, please don't hate me ;)

lol man you are making it more tough than it already is :) Those look nice in white color.

post #6 of 22

I love my Mad Dogs but they need a good head amp, IMO. I have the NAD -- it's a very clear, smooth sound and works amazingly well with iDevices and laptop. However, I'm not crazy about the fit on my narrow head. My ears fit in the cups but it doesn't clamp enough to make a good seal on my head. I would definitely try before you buy or be sure you can return.

 

Good luck!

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerwino View Post
 

I love my Mad Dogs but they need a good head amp, IMO. I have the NAD -- it's a very clear, smooth sound and works amazingly well with iDevices and laptop. However, I'm not crazy about the fit on my narrow head. My ears fit in the cups but it doesn't clamp enough to make a good seal on my head. I would definitely try before you buy or be sure you can return.

 

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately this is a gift and can not try out anything. What do you recommend from the list ?

post #8 of 22

The NAD's are a good in between size for both work and travel. They do look very nice in white. There are so many good closed headphone options in your price range that meet your criteria. :L3000:

post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Out View Post
 

The NAD's are a good in between size for both work and travel. They do look very nice in white. There are so many good closed headphone options in your price range that meet your criteria. :L3000:

Yeah I know problem is chosing one lol

post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhaliwal View Post
 

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately this is a gift and can not try out anything. What do you recommend from the list ?

Hey, I just meant be sure she can return whatever you get in case she has fit problems, which I think is a possibility with the Momentum or NAD (not that they are not great phones). If it was a gift for my wife, I would go with the B&W P7 since it is the most luxurious and impressive on your list (I've heard the P5 but not 7). Hope my limited experience helps.

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 

Read review of AKG 550 - Quote "There’s almost no isolation from outside sound — any sound around you will come right through the drivers to your ears. And the sound from the headphones leaks to the outside, which will bother anyone around you." so these are out as she will be using them in office.

post #12 of 22
Quote:
~~This is an extremely comfortable headphone, which isolates relatively well, but during measurements I found them finicky about position and clamping force in the extreme 

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

 

Sometimes reviews can be overblown. I trust Innerfidelity reviews, they are honest.

post #13 of 22
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Out View Post
 

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

 

Sometimes reviews can be overblown. I trust Innerfidelity reviews, they are honest.

 

 

Thanks for the links.

post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 

What is the best place to buy NAD's ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need Help to choose closed headphones for my wife.