or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones for Classical music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones for Classical music - Page 2

post #16 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Z View Post
 

I have the Sennheiser 580 with the 600 grills and some old Beyer 990. The 990 will definitely give you more detail.

 

I also just got a used AKG K501, which is very good for classical music. A little leaner then the HD580 and loads more detail.

 

AKG K501 is fantastic for classical, but it's hard to find one for sell. 

post #17 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkrzazzang View Post
 

Thanks for sharing guys. What is the actual difference between 600 and 650?

 

Again, this is my listening consideration..

 

 

-Very rich sound (especially bass, but still overall)

 

- No dry sound (live acoustic)

 

-Between Bright and dark sound (but a little more towards dark).

 

Also, I came across HD800, which is $1500, but is it worth the money? And would it work with STX sound card?


I own the HD 800s and they are fantastic headphones, one of the best money can buy for classical music, but they are quite picky when it comes to amplification, and they are very revealing, so you might want to use something with a DAC rather than your computer's sound card (to get better quality sound). Do you own any external DACs or amps? In my opinion, I would probably get the HD 600. The HD 650 is darker and more colored. Depending on how serious you are and how much you're willing the spend, I would probably try to listen to an HD 800 set up at a head-fi meet or something and then decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy.

post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 


I own the HD 800s and they are fantastic headphones, one of the best money can buy for classical music, but they are quite picky when it comes to amplification, and they are very revealing, so you might want to use something with a DAC rather than your computer's sound card (to get better quality sound). Do you own any external DACs or amps? In my opinion, I would probably get the HD 600. The HD 650 is darker and more colored. Depending on how serious you are and how much you're willing the spend, I would probably try to listen to an HD 800 set up at a head-fi meet or something and then decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy.

 

+1

post #19 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 


I own the HD 800s and they are fantastic headphones, one of the best money can buy for classical music, but they are quite picky when it comes to amplification, and they are very revealing, so you might want to use something with a DAC rather than your computer's sound card (to get better quality sound). Do you own any external DACs or amps? In my opinion, I would probably get the HD 600. The HD 650 is darker and more colored. Depending on how serious you are and how much you're willing the spend, I would probably try to listen to an HD 800 set up at a head-fi meet or something and then decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy.

I'm a classical musician. And I don't own any DACs or amps. But I did buy Xonar Essence STX separately, which costed me almost $200...

post #20 of 103

You really should try a stax. None of the above mentioned headphones come close to a stax as far as speed, transparency and natural timbre concerned. 

post #21 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrasdesoria View Post

You really should try a stax. None of the above mentioned headphones come close to a stax as far as speed, transparency and natural timbre concerned. 

+1

Otherwise try the akg k712.
I would not recommend any beyerdynamic for classical music.
post #22 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafo View Post

I would not recommend any beyerdynamic for classical music.

And why is that, have you ever listned to one :/

 

I live with a Violenist and I find the timbre on the DT 880 to be spot on

 

and if your are a Musician OP... try the DT 880, it's a very natrual headphone and I personally enjoy it for classical. 

 

Tbh though I listen to a lot of Duets, small band classical pieces such as  Sonata for Cello & Piano No. 2 in G minor, Op. 5, No. 2 - III. Rondo (Allegro) with Anne Gastinel and Francios Fredic Guy. 

 

I've got some Tchaikovsky Symphonies as well, 


Edited by Mshenay - 1/20/14 at 2:19pm
post #23 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafo View Post


+1

Otherwise try the akg k712.
I would not recommend any beyerdynamic for classical music.

 

Why? only because the company name? :D;) 

post #24 of 103
You guys are completely blowing his $500 limit with those HD800s. biggrin.gif
post #25 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkrzazzang View Post
 

I'm a classical musician. And I don't own any DACs or amps. But I did buy Xonar Essence STX separately, which costed me almost $200...

 

Well, I don't really know too much about soundcards, but if you are looking to get a headphone in the $500 dollar range, I would highly recommend an external DAC and amp (or DAC/amp combo) - but it's not necessarily required. If you can, I would buy headphones from a place that has a good return policy (like Amazon), try several, along with getting an inexpensive DAC/amp, and then return them if you don't like them (if you can't go to a meet).

 

I agree with Andrasdesoria that STAX headphones are ideal for classical music, but you must have an amplifier in order to power them, and a special one at that (one that will power electrostatic headphones). You can get the STAX SR-207 headphones for less than $400 new, which is their base model, and one of their cheaper amps such as the STAX SRM-252S, which will cost about as much as the headphones. You should definitely be able to tell the difference in sound quality on a set up like that running through your sound card versus an external DAC (of the same price as your sound card).

post #26 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

And why is that, have you ever listned to one :/

I live with a Violenist and I find the timbre on the DT 880 to be spot on

and if your are a Musician OP... try the DT 880, it's a very natrual headphone and I personally enjoy it for classical. 

Tbh though I listen to a lot of Duets, small band classical pieces such as  Sonata for Cello & Piano No. 2 in G minor, Op. 5, No. 2 - III. Rondo (Allegro) with Anne Gastinel and Francios Fredic Guy. 

I've got some Tchaikovsky Symphonies as well, 

I have owned the 990 and the 770 and heard the 880 in a shop some time ago. I find the treble to be particularly emphasized above level in all models. Good for monitoring though and of course one could get used to that sound over time, but I don't see why our friend need to do that when there are other alternatives.

Also consider what he preferres:

" For my listening taste:

- Very rich sound ( especially bass)
- NO dry sound (live acoustic)
- Between Bright and Dark sounding, but a bit more towards dark."

I think you will have a hard time finding anyone who would think the 880 fits that description.

Anyway it's just my opinion based on my experience and we all hear things differently.

I need to edit my statement about "any beyerdynamic", it should say "any of the beyerdynamic in question". I have also owned the t1 and that particular model would be great for the purpose, and any other purpose for that matter. The t1 is a fine headphone, but the price is quite high.
Edited by Dafo - 1/20/14 at 3:10pm
post #27 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafo View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

And why is that, have you ever listned to one :/

I live with a Violenist and I find the timbre on the DT 880 to be spot on

and if your are a Musician OP... try the DT 880, it's a very natrual headphone and I personally enjoy it for classical. 

Tbh though I listen to a lot of Duets, small band classical pieces such as  Sonata for Cello & Piano No. 2 in G minor, Op. 5, No. 2 - III. Rondo (Allegro) with Anne Gastinel and Francios Fredic Guy. 

I've got some Tchaikovsky Symphonies as well,

I have owned the 990 and the 770 and heard the 880 in a shop some time ago. I find the treble to be particularly emphasized above level in all models. Good for monitoring though and of course one could get used to that sound over time, but I don't see why our friend need to do that when there are other alternatives.

Also consider what he preferres:

" For my listening taste:

- Very rich sound ( especially bass)
- NO dry sound (live acoustic)
- Between Bright and Dark sounding, but a bit more towards dark."

I think you will have a hard time finding anyone who would think the 880 fits that description.

 

 

What you say is true but it's virtually  the 880's only problem and relatively easily fixed. It's a marvellous headphone with great neutrality, perfect for classical once the sting is taken out of treble, which can be achieved with nothing more elaborate than a simple tone control or EQ. It would be nice if every headphone was perfectly flat and we didn't have to fiddle to get it right, but certainly in the affordable area, and the 880 is nothing if not that, we have to make slight compromises. Too many people pass up the 880 after a quick listen, turned of by that treble edge and not hearing the potential beyond. I'm frequently astonished by what the 880 is capable of. Having owned the LCD-2 and HE-500 I have some idea of what a high end phone sounds like, and the 880 well driven and with the treble rounded off slightly is right up there; you could easily believe with a decent recording that you're listening to a $1000+ phone. This is not hyperbole.

post #28 of 103
I believe you, the 880 has a fine reputation, but so does the akg k's ;-)
There is nothing wrong with doing a bit of equalizing either, so if that is possible go for it then :-)
post #29 of 103

Yep, AKG K702 and Q701 are fine too, they're also easier to drive. 


Edited by pdrm360 - 1/20/14 at 3:44pm
post #30 of 103

I would HIGHLY recommend the Beyer DT880s for classical. They have a very nice bright and analytically sound that lends itself well to classical, especially through the Schiit Audio Valhalla, but any good amp will do. Some people say the Sennheiser HD598, but I personally think they sound boring and lifeless. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones for Classical music