or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › the best mid-end in-ear headphones for the mids to highs (focuses on the vocalist's voice and musical instruments)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

the best mid-end in-ear headphones for the mids to highs (focuses on the vocalist's voice and musical instruments)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hello 

i need your help in recommending an in-ear headphone, details:

 

1- The vocalists voice, my fav band is Evanescence, and Amy's voice is what i want hear in all the details possible (she have a broadly ranged vocals).

2- I listen to classical music too, so i want to catch all the tones.

3- Bass isn't really important, a moderate bass will be enough.

4- I never use apple products, i use android phones (currently the galaxy S3).

5- I will use it with an ASUS Xonar U3 USB "sound card", on a laptop.

6- Inline volume control is optional ( either a real hardware volume control, or a phone controls that are android compatible), it would be nice if it has it, but not a must though.

 

 

I've seen the Sennheiser CX985, but from what i found it have everything i need, except the fact that it is a V shaped headphone and it does not perform very good on the mids.

 

so what do you suggest? 

 

much appreciated.


Edited by Silence89 - 1/19/14 at 3:06am
post #2 of 14

Cx985 is not a good choice at all. IE80 or IE800 are the gears you should buy is you like Sennheiser. 

 

In term of vocal, Se535, GR10 and RE600 are the tops. 

post #3 of 14

I was pretty pleasantly surprised as the quality of output of my CX275 earbuds. I didn't get them for classical or jazz, I got them for phone calls at work (I work from home and conference call a lot) because they have a mic and all that and isolate well.

 

They have VERY nice mid treble response, very clean. The bass is decent, and not overpowering like the Sennheiser IE4 and IE8 I've tried in the past.

 

I used to own a pair of CX475s and they were definitely cleaner and more detailed than the cx275, but felt "hotter" i.e. more V Shaped to me.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys, i appreciate it. I was expecting something within the $150-200 range. i do not really need much accessories, the quality on the mids/vocals is the top priority. it would be really great if you can help me with this, or ask someone else to do, or direct me to a similar thread maybe. thanks in advance.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence89 View Post

Thanks guys, i appreciate it. I was expecting something within the $150-200 range. i do not really need much accessories, the quality on the mids/vocals is the top priority. it would be really great if you can help me with this, or ask someone else to do, or direct me to a similar thread maybe. thanks in advance.

Doppios or im02s are awesome for mids/vocals.

 

im02s

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOACS-27941

 

 

doppios 

 

 

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ZERO-AUDIO-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A4%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AA%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%83%9B%E3%83%B3-%E3%83%89%E3%83%83%E3%83%94%E3%82%AA-ZH-BX700-CD/dp/B00GPB59EA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390202636&sr=8-1&keywords=carbo+doppio

 

you need tenso to forward the shipping to you. It's an additional $20, so it is $170 in total.

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

Doppios or im02s are awesome for mids/vocals.

 

 

 

thanks, have you used any of them? it is hard to get reviews on the Doppios, but the AT IM02 seems promising. i just need to hear a personal experience on them.
 

boy, there are a lot of brands, and this is the first time i buy an aftermarket earphones.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence89 View Post
 

 

thanks, have you used any of them? it is hard to get reviews on the Doppios, but the AT IM02 seems promising. i just need to hear a personal experience on them.
 

boy, there are a lot of brands, and this is the first time i buy an aftermarket earphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-zero-audio-doppios-pg1197-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/17940 - doppio impressions

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-zero-audio-doppios-pg1197-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/19680 - my im-02 impressions. I'm still burning them in, but the mids are clear, transparent, and I forgot to mention this in that thread, but it's great for female vocals, absolutely outsanding, the doppios do the same magic.


Edited by vlenbo - 1/20/14 at 12:19am
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

my im-02 impressions. I'm still burning them in, but the mids are clear, transparent, and I forgot to mention this in that thread, but it's great for female vocals, absolutely outsanding, the doppios do the same magic.

 

now we are talking :)

thanks, from what i've been reading, the vocals on the IM-02 are great. I am a bit torn between the AT IM-02 and Shure SE315, what do you suggest?

and BTW, the IM02 is $206 on Amazon, is this the normal price in the US? coz i have to buy stuff from US markets.

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence89 View Post
 

 

now we are talking :)

thanks, from what i've been reading, the vocals on the IM-02 are great. I am a bit torn between the AT IM-02 and Shure SE315, what do you suggest?

and BTW, the IM02 is $206 on Amazon, is this the normal price in the US? coz i have to buy stuff from US markets.

Ehhhh....it's actually $226 with shipping, but it is better than the shures probably, as someone said that the im02 is better than the shure se415, westone 4r, and something else..

 

Best to wait for prices to go down, or until the doppios come into the USA.

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

Ehhhh....it's actually $226 with shipping, but it is better than the shures probably, as someone said that the im02 is better than the shure se415, westone 4r, and something else..

 

Best to wait for prices to go down, or until the doppios come into the USA.

 

ya by now am pretty much settled on the IM-02. and yes adding the shipping from Japan will make it around $226, which is a bit much since ppl got it around $180 before. It is not in the Amazon stock now and i will wait for them.

 

thanks a lot vlenbo for your help.

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence89 View Post
 

 

ya by now am pretty much settled on the IM-02. and yes adding the shipping from Japan will make it around $226, which is a bit much since ppl got it around $180 before. It is not in the Amazon stock now and i will wait for them.

 

thanks a lot vlenbo for your help.

No problem silence89. 

post #12 of 14

Not to hijack, but to hitchhike...If I listen to Norah Jones, Holly Cole, Etta James, Sarah McLachlan, The Eagles, David Grisman, Earl Klugh - i.e. vocals & instrumentals that are similar to the OP's Evanescence example, but then I add acoustic instruments & piano solos along with some classical and orchestral music, should I also be looking at the candidates mentioned in this thread?

 

Thanks.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
 

Not to hijack, but to hitchhike...If I listen to Norah Jones, Holly Cole, Etta James, Sarah McLachlan, The Eagles, David Grisman, Earl Klugh - i.e. vocals & instrumentals that are similar to the OP's Evanescence example, but then I add acoustic instruments & piano solos along with some classical and orchestral music, should I also be looking at the candidates mentioned in this thread?

 

Thanks.

yes, very much so.

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 

I got it, unpacked it yesterday.
Am not sure that I am qualified to write a review on them since this is my first earphones to buy, and I do not have the proper equipment to test with.

so I will talk about my personal experience with it.

 

I got it for the mids and vocals, and it delivered! now i cannot even look at the stock phones i used before. the vocals are clear as if the singer is sitting inside my ear. As the music goes on, the singer's voice seems to be brought up and isolated from the music and i could move the music to the background and focus on the vocalist. I mean the music is there, yes but when Amy Lee kicks in... man!

 

Lots of thanks everybody for helping me out here.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › the best mid-end in-ear headphones for the mids to highs (focuses on the vocalist's voice and musical instruments)