- 26 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Location: Philadelphia Pa
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 2/14/15 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser 429s no highs when plugged into DAC Last post on 2/11/15 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- IEM recommendation Last post on Yesterday at 3:36 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- FS: Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 2/11/15 at 8:59am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
AK120II and Pono player combined review
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I realize this is an old thread but I thought I'd put in my 2 bits.
I've been using the HD800 with X3 exclusively for the last 2 months cos' I can't quite bear to cough up the cash to buy something better. I'm running the X3 as a DAC/AMP from my PC which plays FLACs, mostly standard CD quality. I listen to mostly classical, soft rock and modern worship.
I usually put my PC at about 75% output, place the X3 on high gain and the volume is typically 25-35, with 30 being about the average figure so I think the X3 has sufficient power to drive this headphone.
I think the combination is just wonderful and I really enjoy the music, even better than with my JH Roxannes (considering the X3 was primarily designed to support portable music). I can hear more details, or at least hear them more easily with the HD800 compared with the Roxannes. Bass is also outstanding, full and detailed. I can hear the shimmering of the cymbals clearly which I really enjoy.
I guess a more expensive setup may sound better but for now I'm just enjoying the music and I think that's the most important bit :)
BTW: I've also listened to the Telarc recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 with the "digital canons" as brought up in the previous post. They are simply amazing with the HD800s and the details of that almost cacophonous bells section at the last bit is simply superlative.
dont have an ibass player but tried out my HD800 with a newly acquired hidizs. drives it to a respectable volume but i'd have to say u'd be missing out a whole lot of what the HD800 can do driven by a good synergistic source + amp (violetric v800 > dynahi in my case).
much better off with a set of portable cans. fwiw my grado ps500 sounds sweet with the hidizs
one more here to verify X3 has no problem driving 300 ohms, HD600 in my case. i generally run it at 75-90 out of 120. and btw, how are you folks getting 60 as your max number? i think i might like that as i feel the steps are too small with 120.
i can also confidently report that there is some improvement in separation, detail and overall goodness to be had by running the X3 LO thru a decent amp. i am using the Cayin C5 right now and will be doing a shootout this weekend with the FiiO E12 that i expect to arrive today. and when i plug the X3 into either my main home system or my smaller bedroom system i also notice the same difference between the HO and LO. so take advantage of that LO if at all possible.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear... 16 seconds ago
- › Need help with a gaming headset 19 seconds ago
- › Alternatives to Mad Dog w/ Alpha Pads ~$400 45 seconds ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 48 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 51 seconds ago
- › Looking for a relatively bendable cable. 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 2 minutes ago
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3