- 26 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Location: Philadelphia Pa
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- My Grado SR325e's lost their magic Last post on 2/14/15 at 5:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser 429s no highs when plugged into DAC Last post on 2/11/15 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- IEM recommendation Last post on 3/21/15 at 1:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- FS: Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 2/11/15 at 8:59am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I realize this is an old thread but I thought I'd put in my 2 bits.
I've been using the HD800 with X3 exclusively for the last 2 months cos' I can't quite bear to cough up the cash to buy something better. I'm running the X3 as a DAC/AMP from my PC which plays FLACs, mostly standard CD quality. I listen to mostly classical, soft rock and modern worship.
I usually put my PC at about 75% output, place the X3 on high gain and the volume is typically 25-35, with 30 being about the average figure so I think the X3 has sufficient power to drive this headphone.
I think the combination is just wonderful and I really enjoy the music, even better than with my JH Roxannes (considering the X3 was primarily designed to support portable music). I can hear more details, or at least hear them more easily with the HD800 compared with the Roxannes. Bass is also outstanding, full and detailed. I can hear the shimmering of the cymbals clearly which I really enjoy.
I guess a more expensive setup may sound better but for now I'm just enjoying the music and I think that's the most important bit :)
BTW: I've also listened to the Telarc recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 with the "digital canons" as brought up in the previous post. They are simply amazing with the HD800s and the details of that almost cacophonous bells section at the last bit is simply superlative.
dont have an ibass player but tried out my HD800 with a newly acquired hidizs. drives it to a respectable volume but i'd have to say u'd be missing out a whole lot of what the HD800 can do driven by a good synergistic source + amp (violetric v800 > dynahi in my case).
much better off with a set of portable cans. fwiw my grado ps500 sounds sweet with the hidizs
one more here to verify X3 has no problem driving 300 ohms, HD600 in my case. i generally run it at 75-90 out of 120. and btw, how are you folks getting 60 as your max number? i think i might like that as i feel the steps are too small with 120.
i can also confidently report that there is some improvement in separation, detail and overall goodness to be had by running the X3 LO thru a decent amp. i am using the Cayin C5 right now and will be doing a shootout this weekend with the FiiO E12 that i expect to arrive today. and when i plug the X3 into either my main home system or my smaller bedroom system i also notice the same difference between the HO and LO. so take advantage of that LO if at all possible.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 50 seconds ago
- › Why do people prefer Sony Hybrid tips? 53 seconds ago
- › Marantz HD-DAC1 1 minute ago
- › Damping Stax phones with Sorbothane: Lambdas, SRXIII Pro, SR003,... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i Tour & Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 8 minutes ago
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2