- 26 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Location: Philadelphia Pa
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- WTB DAP (Fiio X1 / X3 / DX50 etc) Last post on 5/20/15 at 6:44pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 7/13/15 at 4:16am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 8/23/15 at 2:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I realize this is an old thread but I thought I'd put in my 2 bits.
I've been using the HD800 with X3 exclusively for the last 2 months cos' I can't quite bear to cough up the cash to buy something better. I'm running the X3 as a DAC/AMP from my PC which plays FLACs, mostly standard CD quality. I listen to mostly classical, soft rock and modern worship.
I usually put my PC at about 75% output, place the X3 on high gain and the volume is typically 25-35, with 30 being about the average figure so I think the X3 has sufficient power to drive this headphone.
I think the combination is just wonderful and I really enjoy the music, even better than with my JH Roxannes (considering the X3 was primarily designed to support portable music). I can hear more details, or at least hear them more easily with the HD800 compared with the Roxannes. Bass is also outstanding, full and detailed. I can hear the shimmering of the cymbals clearly which I really enjoy.
I guess a more expensive setup may sound better but for now I'm just enjoying the music and I think that's the most important bit :)
BTW: I've also listened to the Telarc recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 with the "digital canons" as brought up in the previous post. They are simply amazing with the HD800s and the details of that almost cacophonous bells section at the last bit is simply superlative.
dont have an ibass player but tried out my HD800 with a newly acquired hidizs. drives it to a respectable volume but i'd have to say u'd be missing out a whole lot of what the HD800 can do driven by a good synergistic source + amp (violetric v800 > dynahi in my case).
much better off with a set of portable cans. fwiw my grado ps500 sounds sweet with the hidizs
one more here to verify X3 has no problem driving 300 ohms, HD600 in my case. i generally run it at 75-90 out of 120. and btw, how are you folks getting 60 as your max number? i think i might like that as i feel the steps are too small with 120.
i can also confidently report that there is some improvement in separation, detail and overall goodness to be had by running the X3 LO thru a decent amp. i am using the Cayin C5 right now and will be doing a shootout this weekend with the FiiO E12 that i expect to arrive today. and when i plug the X3 into either my main home system or my smaller bedroom system i also notice the same difference between the HO and LO. so take advantage of that LO if at all possible.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? 2 minutes ago
- › Objectivists board room 2 minutes ago
- › Need advice on portable player 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Review of the JVC HA-FXH30 by B9Scrambler 3 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 4 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 4 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2