Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a **LOUD** DAC/AMP for HD800s Last post on 7/27/14 at 11:49pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- TH900 for sale Last post on 7/26/14 at 10:18am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Sennheiser HD800 Offer - £849 Last post on 7/16/14 at 10:41pm in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Hifiman HE-560 vs LCD-3 vs HD800 vs K812 -- quick impressions Last post on Yesterday at 2:46 pm in Headphones (full-size)
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.
I know around here it sounds like blasphemy but in the beginning I used my HD-800 solely with the X3. What's more I used the X3 connected to my laptop as a dac. And you know what? It got loud enough without turning the volume to the max. how about that? On the other hand I must tell that I mostly listen to metal which tend to be overcompressed as far as dynamic range goes. When I tried some classic reference rock albums like Brothers in Arms (First Warner Edition) or the best of Queen (again, first, japanese edition) and some classical albums I had to turn up the volume to the max and even it wasn't loud enough.
But I'm just planning to buy a pair of JVC DX-700 or DX-2000 headphones and I intend to uses'em the very same way.
Right now I'm quite content with my X3 esp. now as I discovered I can expand its memory with a 128 gb memory card. My next step for a "proper" amp/dac will be the O2/Odac but not anytime soon. I had a chance to try it with my HD800 and that was indeed HIGH fidelity at its best! It sure sounded "sterile" and "clinical" but you pretty much heard everything the way the artist intented to AND the audio engineers engineered to.
No coloration whatever. That, unfortunately, meant I literally couldn't listen to some of my all time favourite metal albums b/c they were soo poorly recorded/mastered and/or higly compressed. But if the source was correct [my best recommendation: Queen - Greatest Hits II (TOCP-6913) jap, first ed. AND Tchaikovsky 1812 Cossack Dance from Mazeppa (Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)] it was a sonic orgasm (or eargasm?)
This album has a dynamic range of a massive 17(!) and let me bring your attention to the warning sign at the upleft corner. This, combined with the HD800 plus O2/Odac gave me a sonic pleasure I have never heard before.
Long story short, I now want to try a typically coloured pair of headphones, preferably a closed one and I figured the JVC DX series will do the trick for me, especially b/c they are pretty easy to drive so my X3 will do the job.
Is the Fiio X5 capable of driving a hi-fi headphone better that the X3?
Edited by Polar1 - 7/27/14 at 2:51pm
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this means that the HD-800's or HD-650's will sound better on the X5 right?
Yeah, for me the HD800 with X3 worked flawlessly when listened to some compressed (dynamic range-wise) music. Like most of the metal and hard rock releases.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 51 seconds ago
- › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Best in-ear headphones with less noise isolation 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)