Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- WTB DAP (Fiio X1 / X3 / DX50 etc) Last post on 5/20/15 at 6:44pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 7/13/15 at 4:16am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 8/23/15 at 2:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
Pros: Comfort, build quality, sub-bass quality, multiple sound tunings. Cons: Shouty upper mids Tonal Balance: Warm to balanced depending on ports. Style: Closed over-ear Listening...
The T40rp mark 2 is a very fine headphone. My first impression's of them where positive although your ears might take a while to get use to the very unique sound signature. They are very well...
You gonna get an amp now? ...or wait? o.k., you gonna wait? keep...
After years of not getting anything new, the Lyra was my first earphones that I would classify as high end. I got it before my CDM and one thing really lead to another. Made by Campfire...
Introduction: Peter Wong Audio is a Hong Kong based brand, and Peter, Ceo of th company, offers many different products such as mini to mini and IEM cables, several adapters, interconnects and...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.
I know around here it sounds like blasphemy but in the beginning I used my HD-800 solely with the X3. What's more I used the X3 connected to my laptop as a dac. And you know what? It got loud enough without turning the volume to the max. how about that? On the other hand I must tell that I mostly listen to metal which tend to be overcompressed as far as dynamic range goes. When I tried some classic reference rock albums like Brothers in Arms (First Warner Edition) or the best of Queen (again, first, japanese edition) and some classical albums I had to turn up the volume to the max and even it wasn't loud enough.
But I'm just planning to buy a pair of JVC DX-700 or DX-2000 headphones and I intend to uses'em the very same way.
Right now I'm quite content with my X3 esp. now as I discovered I can expand its memory with a 128 gb memory card. My next step for a "proper" amp/dac will be the O2/Odac but not anytime soon. I had a chance to try it with my HD800 and that was indeed HIGH fidelity at its best! It sure sounded "sterile" and "clinical" but you pretty much heard everything the way the artist intented to AND the audio engineers engineered to.
No coloration whatever. That, unfortunately, meant I literally couldn't listen to some of my all time favourite metal albums b/c they were soo poorly recorded/mastered and/or higly compressed. But if the source was correct [my best recommendation: Queen - Greatest Hits II (TOCP-6913) jap, first ed. AND Tchaikovsky 1812 Cossack Dance from Mazeppa (Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)] it was a sonic orgasm (or eargasm?)
This album has a dynamic range of a massive 17(!) and let me bring your attention to the warning sign at the upleft corner. This, combined with the HD800 plus O2/Odac gave me a sonic pleasure I have never heard before.
Long story short, I now want to try a typically coloured pair of headphones, preferably a closed one and I figured the JVC DX series will do the trick for me, especially b/c they are pretty easy to drive so my X3 will do the job.
Is the Fiio X5 capable of driving a hi-fi headphone better that the X3?
Edited by Polar1 - 7/27/14 at 2:51pm
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this means that the HD-800's or HD-650's will sound better on the X5 right?
Yeah, for me the HD800 with X3 worked flawlessly when listened to some compressed (dynamic range-wise) music. Like most of the metal and hard rock releases.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 6 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 11 seconds ago
- › HIFIMAN HE6 or STAX SR-507...which to choose, and why? 16 seconds ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 1 minute ago
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 2 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 4 minutes ago
- › Should I downscale my collection of music higher than 24bit/48khz... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 4 minutes ago
- › Bravo Ocean [PRICE DROP] 5 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro by keanex
- › FOSTEX T40RP mkII DJ Headphones by JVC steven
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by Hawaiibadboy
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by tassardar
- › PW Audio Legend II v2 Copper IEM Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Xiaomi Mi Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Hisoundfi
- › Project Horizon 3 by Army-Firedawg
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by grizzlybeast
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by nauhid
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2