Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HE-560 versus HD800 (Anaxilus 2 modded) - impressions after a 2 hour A/B session Last post on 8/14/14 at 9:46am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Audeze Q-Audio 6.5 ft cable with 1/8 TRS termination and an HD800 adapter Last post on 8/12/14 at 10:26am in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
- First Flagship Headphone--Can't decide! Last post on 8/18/14 at 12:12am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- One shoot chance: buying IEM's and MP3 Player Last post on 8/18/14 at 2:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
PACKAGING : Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more...
First I’d like to thank Salsera and Brainwavz for sending me a review sample of the S5. Brainwavz are a brand that I am quite familiar with. They have many IEMs that are often praised on Head-Fi...
This is a Review of FiiO E11k portable headphone amplifier. http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000060416193&MenuID=105026001, available from FiiO's US distributor MICCA Store:...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.
I know around here it sounds like blasphemy but in the beginning I used my HD-800 solely with the X3. What's more I used the X3 connected to my laptop as a dac. And you know what? It got loud enough without turning the volume to the max. how about that? On the other hand I must tell that I mostly listen to metal which tend to be overcompressed as far as dynamic range goes. When I tried some classic reference rock albums like Brothers in Arms (First Warner Edition) or the best of Queen (again, first, japanese edition) and some classical albums I had to turn up the volume to the max and even it wasn't loud enough.
But I'm just planning to buy a pair of JVC DX-700 or DX-2000 headphones and I intend to uses'em the very same way.
Right now I'm quite content with my X3 esp. now as I discovered I can expand its memory with a 128 gb memory card. My next step for a "proper" amp/dac will be the O2/Odac but not anytime soon. I had a chance to try it with my HD800 and that was indeed HIGH fidelity at its best! It sure sounded "sterile" and "clinical" but you pretty much heard everything the way the artist intented to AND the audio engineers engineered to.
No coloration whatever. That, unfortunately, meant I literally couldn't listen to some of my all time favourite metal albums b/c they were soo poorly recorded/mastered and/or higly compressed. But if the source was correct [my best recommendation: Queen - Greatest Hits II (TOCP-6913) jap, first ed. AND Tchaikovsky 1812 Cossack Dance from Mazeppa (Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)] it was a sonic orgasm (or eargasm?)
This album has a dynamic range of a massive 17(!) and let me bring your attention to the warning sign at the upleft corner. This, combined with the HD800 plus O2/Odac gave me a sonic pleasure I have never heard before.
Long story short, I now want to try a typically coloured pair of headphones, preferably a closed one and I figured the JVC DX series will do the trick for me, especially b/c they are pretty easy to drive so my X3 will do the job.
Is the Fiio X5 capable of driving a hi-fi headphone better that the X3?
Edited by Polar1 - 7/27/14 at 2:51pm
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this means that the HD-800's or HD-650's will sound better on the X5 right?
Yeah, for me the HD800 with X3 worked flawlessly when listened to some compressed (dynamic range-wise) music. Like most of the metal and hard rock releases.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 3 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 4 minutes ago
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 7 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 10 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 10 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 11 minutes ago
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › ASUS Essence III by 00lunar
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by TheGame21x
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Klonatans
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)