Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- If someone buy me the headphone (any price), but not the amp and CD player, which one of the... Last post on Today at 1:51 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- my new HD800's - buy expensive balanced XLR female cable to try $15K preamp or buy dedicated... Last post on 4/15/14 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HELP! Suggestions for Sennheiser HD800 - HDVD800 or WA22? Last post on 4/15/14 at 8:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Fiio x3 vs Fiio x5 or other help please? Last post on 4/15/14 at 9:50am in Portable Source Gear
- Trying out Headphones Last post on 4/11/14 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
I am mainly using the Meridian Explorer on the road, from laptop. Setup is painless on Mac and Linux. Note that on Linux, it is worth checking the gain settings in alsamixer (only once is...
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800post #1 of 41/17/14 at 3:45amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 41/17/14 at 7:43amThe stock Fiio X3 has a rather powerful amp. for a portable player. So it should be OK with the 300 ohm headphones but you won't be hearing the exquisite sound possible with these headphones. The HD800 is not really a portable headphone. Not really recommended for use in a working environment. People pair this headphone with their hi-fi or a laptop into a Dacmagic and desktop amplifier, a CD player and amplifier or something like a QLS QA660/860. To see the beauty of these the signal in needs to be very high grade which discounts many but not all portables.post #3 of 41/22/14 at 5:32amThread Starter
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.post #4 of 41/22/14 at 10:28amPresumably the X3s warm sound signature is faithfully reproduced with great accuracy. There is a modification that makes the player more neutral sounding but you would then lose the capability to drive these high resistance headphones. Perhaps semi-open headphones like Beyerdynamics might suit a work environment better, like a relatively cheap pair of 250ohm DT880s and then you could save your HD800s for leisure listening.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › ALO Audio International 20 seconds ago
- › "Good" PC speakers for 100-150$ budget 58 seconds ago
- › Westone 4R SUPER LOW PRICE 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives) 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-03-25) 3 minutes ago
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 3 minutes ago
- › ALO AUDIO NATIONAL 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › Intopic Jazz i57 IEM by Pastapipo
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude