Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- what's next?????my main phones are Sennheiser HD-800, secondary AKG-702 Last post on 3/4/14 at 12:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- FiiO X3 / X5 with the Mad Dogs. Last post on 3/3/14 at 5:46pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- fiio x3 vs ak 100 mk2 Last post on 3/3/14 at 12:25am in Portable Source Gear
- [Recommendations] Is there such a thing as hiss less portable amp? Last post on 3/3/14 at 6:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- TomsHardware: What Does It Take To Turn The PC Into A Hi-Fi Audio Platform? Last post on 3/2/14 at 2:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800post #1 of 41/17/14 at 3:45amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 41/17/14 at 7:43amThe stock Fiio X3 has a rather powerful amp. for a portable player. So it should be OK with the 300 ohm headphones but you won't be hearing the exquisite sound possible with these headphones. The HD800 is not really a portable headphone. Not really recommended for use in a working environment. People pair this headphone with their hi-fi or a laptop into a Dacmagic and desktop amplifier, a CD player and amplifier or something like a QLS QA660/860. To see the beauty of these the signal in needs to be very high grade which discounts many but not all portables.post #3 of 41/22/14 at 5:32amThread Starter
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.post #4 of 41/22/14 at 10:28amPresumably the X3s warm sound signature is faithfully reproduced with great accuracy. There is a modification that makes the player more neutral sounding but you would then lose the capability to drive these high resistance headphones. Perhaps semi-open headphones like Beyerdynamics might suit a work environment better, like a relatively cheap pair of 250ohm DT880s and then you could save your HD800s for leisure listening.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Westone Warranty 22 seconds ago
- › DT770, Shure SRH940 or ATH-A900x? 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › JVC SZ2000 Review. CNT pounding my brains! 2 minutes ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude