Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan HE1000 V2 and MrSpeakers Ether Flow... Last post on 4/18/17 at 9:23am in Currawong
- Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! Last post on 4/20/17 at 1:25pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on 5/21/15 at 10:20am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- WTB DAP (Fiio X1 / X3 / DX50 etc) Last post on 5/20/15 at 6:44pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEWS ARE CREATED BY SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM AND MORE DETAILED REVIEW CAN BE FOUND ON THE WEBSITE INTRODUCTION We reviewed the VE Monk Plus recently and fell in love with it. The...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEW ARE DONE @ SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM and more insightful review can be found on our site. INTRODUCTION If you are on a budget then you are in for some good luck because...
First if I would like to thank Meze for including me in their review program. I did NOT receive these for free, like all other reviewers in the program I have been given a 1 week window to...
Intro Meze Headphones is a company with a simple philosophy; Motivation, Values, People. With a passion for art and music, achieved through patience and dedication, Meze design...
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.
I know around here it sounds like blasphemy but in the beginning I used my HD-800 solely with the X3. What's more I used the X3 connected to my laptop as a dac. And you know what? It got loud enough without turning the volume to the max. how about that? On the other hand I must tell that I mostly listen to metal which tend to be overcompressed as far as dynamic range goes. When I tried some classic reference rock albums like Brothers in Arms (First Warner Edition) or the best of Queen (again, first, japanese edition) and some classical albums I had to turn up the volume to the max and even it wasn't loud enough.
But I'm just planning to buy a pair of JVC DX-700 or DX-2000 headphones and I intend to uses'em the very same way.
Right now I'm quite content with my X3 esp. now as I discovered I can expand its memory with a 128 gb memory card. My next step for a "proper" amp/dac will be the O2/Odac but not anytime soon. I had a chance to try it with my HD800 and that was indeed HIGH fidelity at its best! It sure sounded "sterile" and "clinical" but you pretty much heard everything the way the artist intented to AND the audio engineers engineered to.
No coloration whatever. That, unfortunately, meant I literally couldn't listen to some of my all time favourite metal albums b/c they were soo poorly recorded/mastered and/or higly compressed. But if the source was correct [my best recommendation: Queen - Greatest Hits II (TOCP-6913) jap, first ed. AND Tchaikovsky 1812 Cossack Dance from Mazeppa (Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)] it was a sonic orgasm (or eargasm?)
This album has a dynamic range of a massive 17(!) and let me bring your attention to the warning sign at the upleft corner. This, combined with the HD800 plus O2/Odac gave me a sonic pleasure I have never heard before.
Long story short, I now want to try a typically coloured pair of headphones, preferably a closed one and I figured the JVC DX series will do the trick for me, especially b/c they are pretty easy to drive so my X3 will do the job.
Is the Fiio X5 capable of driving a hi-fi headphone better that the X3?
Edited by Polar1 - 7/27/14 at 2:51pm
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this means that the HD-800's or HD-650's will sound better on the X5 right?
Yeah, for me the HD800 with X3 worked flawlessly when listened to some compressed (dynamic range-wise) music. Like most of the metal and hard rock releases.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
- › Music Game IX 4 seconds ago
- › Addicted to sound, Vali 1, vs asgard 1, vs vali 2 for HE400i's 26 seconds ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 2 minutes ago
- › Sealed B&W P9 & Sennheiser HD 630VB 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android |... 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?! 4 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 7 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear