Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 amping (800 € budget) Last post on 9/27/14 at 4:23pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 - so far unimpressed Last post on Yesterday at 6:31 am in Headphones (full-size)
- suitable car amp to work with x3 + 2 8's Last post on 9/19/14 at 10:39pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on 9/28/14 at 3:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.
I know around here it sounds like blasphemy but in the beginning I used my HD-800 solely with the X3. What's more I used the X3 connected to my laptop as a dac. And you know what? It got loud enough without turning the volume to the max. how about that? On the other hand I must tell that I mostly listen to metal which tend to be overcompressed as far as dynamic range goes. When I tried some classic reference rock albums like Brothers in Arms (First Warner Edition) or the best of Queen (again, first, japanese edition) and some classical albums I had to turn up the volume to the max and even it wasn't loud enough.
But I'm just planning to buy a pair of JVC DX-700 or DX-2000 headphones and I intend to uses'em the very same way.
Right now I'm quite content with my X3 esp. now as I discovered I can expand its memory with a 128 gb memory card. My next step for a "proper" amp/dac will be the O2/Odac but not anytime soon. I had a chance to try it with my HD800 and that was indeed HIGH fidelity at its best! It sure sounded "sterile" and "clinical" but you pretty much heard everything the way the artist intented to AND the audio engineers engineered to.
No coloration whatever. That, unfortunately, meant I literally couldn't listen to some of my all time favourite metal albums b/c they were soo poorly recorded/mastered and/or higly compressed. But if the source was correct [my best recommendation: Queen - Greatest Hits II (TOCP-6913) jap, first ed. AND Tchaikovsky 1812 Cossack Dance from Mazeppa (Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)] it was a sonic orgasm (or eargasm?)
This album has a dynamic range of a massive 17(!) and let me bring your attention to the warning sign at the upleft corner. This, combined with the HD800 plus O2/Odac gave me a sonic pleasure I have never heard before.
Long story short, I now want to try a typically coloured pair of headphones, preferably a closed one and I figured the JVC DX series will do the trick for me, especially b/c they are pretty easy to drive so my X3 will do the job.
Is the Fiio X5 capable of driving a hi-fi headphone better that the X3?
Edited by Polar1 - 7/27/14 at 2:51pm
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this means that the HD-800's or HD-650's will sound better on the X5 right?
Yeah, for me the HD800 with X3 worked flawlessly when listened to some compressed (dynamic range-wise) music. Like most of the metal and hard rock releases.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Advice on DAC/AMP + Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 1 minute ago
- › Speaker placement for a corner desk 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 2 minutes ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 3 minutes ago
- › alessandro ms2i no clamping force? 3 minutes ago
- › DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 1, 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 4 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)