Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 12/10/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Factory Tour Last post on 12/4/14 at 6:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Where is the sweet spot for quality headphones? Last post on 12/2/14 at 9:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 earpads washing experience ;) Last post on 11/30/14 at 9:08am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
These are great headphones I was turned onto from the forum. On this forum you have to assess who is enthusiastic about what. Generally, there is a difference between enthusiasm from novices...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.
I know around here it sounds like blasphemy but in the beginning I used my HD-800 solely with the X3. What's more I used the X3 connected to my laptop as a dac. And you know what? It got loud enough without turning the volume to the max. how about that? On the other hand I must tell that I mostly listen to metal which tend to be overcompressed as far as dynamic range goes. When I tried some classic reference rock albums like Brothers in Arms (First Warner Edition) or the best of Queen (again, first, japanese edition) and some classical albums I had to turn up the volume to the max and even it wasn't loud enough.
But I'm just planning to buy a pair of JVC DX-700 or DX-2000 headphones and I intend to uses'em the very same way.
Right now I'm quite content with my X3 esp. now as I discovered I can expand its memory with a 128 gb memory card. My next step for a "proper" amp/dac will be the O2/Odac but not anytime soon. I had a chance to try it with my HD800 and that was indeed HIGH fidelity at its best! It sure sounded "sterile" and "clinical" but you pretty much heard everything the way the artist intented to AND the audio engineers engineered to.
No coloration whatever. That, unfortunately, meant I literally couldn't listen to some of my all time favourite metal albums b/c they were soo poorly recorded/mastered and/or higly compressed. But if the source was correct [my best recommendation: Queen - Greatest Hits II (TOCP-6913) jap, first ed. AND Tchaikovsky 1812 Cossack Dance from Mazeppa (Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)] it was a sonic orgasm (or eargasm?)
This album has a dynamic range of a massive 17(!) and let me bring your attention to the warning sign at the upleft corner. This, combined with the HD800 plus O2/Odac gave me a sonic pleasure I have never heard before.
Long story short, I now want to try a typically coloured pair of headphones, preferably a closed one and I figured the JVC DX series will do the trick for me, especially b/c they are pretty easy to drive so my X3 will do the job.
Is the Fiio X5 capable of driving a hi-fi headphone better that the X3?
Edited by Polar1 - 7/27/14 at 2:51pm
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this means that the HD-800's or HD-650's will sound better on the X5 right?
Yeah, for me the HD800 with X3 worked flawlessly when listened to some compressed (dynamic range-wise) music. Like most of the metal and hard rock releases.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › X3 firmware 3.22-3.24beta--M3U playlists, 5-band EQ. #nooneleftbehind 15 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 44 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 56 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 59 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Redirecting to ad sites in chrome on android 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Dark Voice 339 2 minutes ago
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)