Has anyone tried to use a Sennheiser HD-800 with an X3? I already have the X3, a friend is offering me a great deal on the HD-800s. I'm guessing it wouldn't work very well... I pretty much only use headphones at work and I can't leave anything on the desk when I leave because it is shared with other shifts. What would be an effective portable DAC / Amp to use with HD-800s?
Related Forum Threads
- Biggest soundstage amp Last post on 4/28/14 at 8:15pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD800 (like new) Price with shipping inside EU Last post on Yesterday at 10:20 am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- WTB/WTT FiiO X3 Last post on 5/20/15 at 6:44pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- HD800: Valhalla2 or Lyr2 Last post on 4/16/15 at 12:47am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- McIntosh MHA-100 headphone amplifier review Last post on 5/2/15 at 8:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
I got a sansa clip+ for my pair of custom iems. Really small, really portable, big nice clip to clip on something while training. Almost perfect sound, some audible noise (really really low, like...
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure 4ECs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Brainwavz continues to step up their game. This time it's in the realm of Bluetooth! The BLU-100 is a budget-priced IEM that is very well-designed and offers very good sound for anyone that needs...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using the X3 with these headphones right now, at work. The biggest issue seems to be that a co-worker across the room can hear the music clearly and thinks I must be deaf to be listening so loud. Fortunately I work graveyard so there aren't many to disturb.
With Gain set to High, I have the volume turned up to 25 out of 60. So yes, the X3 has more than enough power to drive the headphones and they sound pretty darn good. They sound like headphones with the X3 though and with a good amp they sound better than headphones. The sound stage blooms to something that exists outside of your head with a good amp. But yeah, they also sound better than any other headphone I've had on the X3, hands down. So one of these days I need a better portable amp, but for now the X3 will do.
I know around here it sounds like blasphemy but in the beginning I used my HD-800 solely with the X3. What's more I used the X3 connected to my laptop as a dac. And you know what? It got loud enough without turning the volume to the max. how about that? On the other hand I must tell that I mostly listen to metal which tend to be overcompressed as far as dynamic range goes. When I tried some classic reference rock albums like Brothers in Arms (First Warner Edition) or the best of Queen (again, first, japanese edition) and some classical albums I had to turn up the volume to the max and even it wasn't loud enough.
But I'm just planning to buy a pair of JVC DX-700 or DX-2000 headphones and I intend to uses'em the very same way.
Right now I'm quite content with my X3 esp. now as I discovered I can expand its memory with a 128 gb memory card. My next step for a "proper" amp/dac will be the O2/Odac but not anytime soon. I had a chance to try it with my HD800 and that was indeed HIGH fidelity at its best! It sure sounded "sterile" and "clinical" but you pretty much heard everything the way the artist intented to AND the audio engineers engineered to.
No coloration whatever. That, unfortunately, meant I literally couldn't listen to some of my all time favourite metal albums b/c they were soo poorly recorded/mastered and/or higly compressed. But if the source was correct [my best recommendation: Queen - Greatest Hits II (TOCP-6913) jap, first ed. AND Tchaikovsky 1812 Cossack Dance from Mazeppa (Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra)] it was a sonic orgasm (or eargasm?)
This album has a dynamic range of a massive 17(!) and let me bring your attention to the warning sign at the upleft corner. This, combined with the HD800 plus O2/Odac gave me a sonic pleasure I have never heard before.
Long story short, I now want to try a typically coloured pair of headphones, preferably a closed one and I figured the JVC DX series will do the trick for me, especially b/c they are pretty easy to drive so my X3 will do the job.
Is the Fiio X5 capable of driving a hi-fi headphone better that the X3?
Edited by Polar1 - 7/27/14 at 2:51pm
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this means that the HD-800's or HD-650's will sound better on the X5 right?
Yeah, for me the HD800 with X3 worked flawlessly when listened to some compressed (dynamic range-wise) music. Like most of the metal and hard rock releases.
- Fiio X3 and Sennheiser HD-800
- › The Tera player thread - All your questions answered ! 1 minute ago
- › Here's what Beats by Dre president says about the headphones that... 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › iFi audio iPower - universal Ultra-Low Noise AC/DC adapter 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Opinions please on an unexpected purchase! 2 minutes ago
- › AMP for Sony XB 700? 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280,... by Trevayne10
- › Xiaomi Pistion III Youth Edition by julian67
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2