or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Trying to get an upgrade from my existing speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying to get an upgrade from my existing speakers

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I've been specifically looking for 2.0 system for my new desktop. I currently have Z87-A motherboard and been using Creative Inspire T12. With around $100 budget, is Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers with a Lepai LP-2020A+ amplifier the way to go? I happened to find a long thread while searching (http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers). I am looking for a general purpose speakers (gaming, movies, music, etc.).

I was looking at the amplifier and there appears to be 2 different versions on Amazon
1) http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=pd_sim_e_1
2) http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-LP-2020A-Lepai-Amplifier-Shipping/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=pd_sim_e_2
What are the differences?

I also looked at this speaker but not sure if it's worth the price (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/bluetooth-speakers-z600?crid=47).

Let me know if there are better alternatives. Thanks!
post #2 of 13

You can get a pair of M-Audio AV40s for like $120 on amazing. They are decent starter studio monitors. Probably the best option in that price range honestly.

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilder View Post

I've been specifically looking for 2.0 system for my new desktop. I currently have Z87-A motherboard and been using Creative Inspire T12. With around $100 budget, is Dayton Audio B652 bookshelf speakers with a Lepai LP-2020A+ amplifier the way to go? I happened to find a long thread while searching (http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers). I am looking for a general purpose speakers (gaming, movies, music, etc.).

I was looking at the amplifier and there appears to be 2 different versions on Amazon
1) http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=pd_sim_e_1
2) http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-LP-2020A-Lepai-Amplifier-Shipping/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=pd_sim_e_2
What are the differences?

I also looked at this speaker but not sure if it's worth the price (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/bluetooth-speakers-z600?crid=47).

Let me know if there are better alternatives. Thanks!

Yes. The Lepai/Dayton setup will compete in SQ with any <$200 multimedia computer speakers I have heard.

If you want better SQ and are willing to spend $150, combine the Lepai with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones speakers.

As far as the difference between the two models, I think it's just the power supply that plugs into the wall, but I might be wrong.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress View Post
 

You can get a pair of M-Audio AV40s for like $120 on amazing. They are decent starter studio monitors. Probably the best option in that price range honestly.

 

I heard good things about those speakers but seems like people prefer Lepai/Dayton setup. Thanks for sharing though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Yes. The Lepai/Dayton setup will compete in SQ with any <$200 multimedia computer speakers I have heard.

If you want better SQ and are willing to spend $150, combine the Lepai with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones speakers.

As far as the difference between the two models, I think it's just the power supply that plugs into the wall, but I might be wrong.

 

For amp, I've seen people debating over Dayton vs. Lepai amp. For extra $20, is Dayton amp worth it (DTA-1)? Also, out of curiosity, are Pioneer speakers worth the money and make noticeable difference in terms of SQ? At the moment, I am leaning towards the Lepai/Dayton setup (I will get the amp sold by Amazon). Thanks.

post #5 of 13

Why are you fiddling with an amp at such a low budget? Get some powered studio monitors. Look maybe on Ebay for some used pairs for a steal. Or go with the M-Audio AV40. You are still going to need a proper sound card to extract all the potential from the speakers. Motherboard Audio will not cut it. 

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilder View Post

I was looking at the amplifier and there appears to be 2 different versions on Amazon
1) http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=pd_sim_e_1
2) http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-LP-2020A-Lepai-Amplifier-Shipping/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=pd_sim_e_2
What are the differences?

 

Different sellers. One is sold by Amazon and the other is by "TYfamily." That's the only reason I can see why there are two entries.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerminator View Post
 

Why are you fiddling with an amp at such a low budget? Get some powered studio monitors.

 

Because there actually are deals with separates? Dayton B652+T-Amp can be under $60.


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 1/22/14 at 3:14am
post #7 of 13

if you're in american guitarcenter.com would be a good place to look for used monitors.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerminator View Post
 

Why are you fiddling with an amp at such a low budget? Get some powered studio monitors. Look maybe on Ebay for some used pairs for a steal. Or go with the M-Audio AV40. You are still going to need a proper sound card to extract all the potential from the speakers. Motherboard Audio will not cut it. 

 

Not looking to buy used items so that's not an option. I wanted to spend around $100 (or preferably under $100) so that's why I was looking at that combo. Does dedicated sound card make noticeable differences? I've never had a dedicated sound card on my computers so I don't know. Is M-Audio AV40 a highly reviewed product <$200? romeozdistress already mentioned it so I am guessing it is quite popular.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

Different sellers. One is sold by Amazon and the other is by "TYfamily." That's the only reason I can see why there are two entries.

 

 

Because there actually are deals with separates? Dayton B652+T-Amp can be under $60.

 

The case looks different so that's why I asked.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress View Post
 

if you're in american guitarcenter.com would be a good place to look for used monitors.

 

Not looking for used monitors but thanks for the suggestion.

post #9 of 13

maybe it would be better to just save your money because chances are you arent going to be very happy with $100 setup for very long. if you must. these are only $80 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-M1-Active-320-USB-Studio-Monitor-Pair-104810825-i1384420.gc and then these are $99 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-Elevate-3-Studio-Monitors-107618431-i2368768.gc and another option m audios for $99 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Numark-NPM5-Active-5--Studio-Monitors-106219009-i1482791.gc. i think the m audio av40s are going for $120. the 5 inch driver in the numarks would probably make them the best choice.


Edited by romeozdistress - 1/22/14 at 6:28pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilder View Post
 

The case looks different so that's why I asked.

 

From the looks of it it's the photos and not the case that are different. One photographed switched on so the blue ring around the volume knob is lit, also different lighting. I can make my Cantate look more grey or more silver depending on how I control the light, even if they come out at the same exposure level.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerminator View Post
 

Why are you fiddling with an amp at such a low budget? Get some powered studio monitors. Look maybe on Ebay for some used pairs for a steal. Or go with the M-Audio AV40. You are still going to need a proper sound card to extract all the potential from the speakers. Motherboard Audio will not cut it. 


I used to drive a pair of Revel Ultima Gem 2s off of my laptop minijack output and a T-amp for a bedroom setup, LOL.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

From the looks of it it's the photos and not the case that are different. One photographed switched on so the blue ring around the volume knob is lit, also different lighting. I can make my Cantate look more grey or more silver depending on how I control the light, even if they come out at the same exposure level.

I'm pretty sure it's the power supply that has been changed. The old model tended to come with a Vonage phone charger wall wart for the PSU or whatever they could find to ship with it. Lot of people complained how cheesy that was. For the new model, looks like they have sourced a more generic PSU.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I'm pretty sure it's the power supply that has been changed. The old model tended to come with a Vonage phone charger wall wart for the PSU or whatever they could find to ship with it. Lot of people complained how cheesy that was. For the new model, looks like they have sourced a more generic PSU.

 

My bad - I didn't see one of them actually said "upgraded" and went straight to the short list specs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Trying to get an upgrade from my existing speakers