Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Question about soldering iron
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about soldering iron

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi, after reading the DIY forums for a while, I've kept hearing the Hakko 936 is a good soldering station, but I can't seem to find it on amazon.  Instead, I find the aoyue 936.  Is this just as good?  Is there a better soldering station out there that I should consider?

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhao19 View Post
 

Hi, after reading the DIY forums for a while, I've kept hearing the Hakko 936 is a good soldering station, but I can't seem to find it on amazon.  Instead, I find the aoyue 936.  Is this just as good?  Is there a better soldering station out there that I should consider?


The Hakko 936 got counterfeited so much that Hakko decided to quit making it.  The current model replacement for the Hakko 936 is the Hakko FX-888.

post #3 of 9

I've always been a Weller man. My original just died (after 18 years of rough service) - replaced it with a new Weller WES51 - found it on Amazon for right at $100 shipped. Have been VERY happy with it since.  Great fast heat, ESD protected.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Straw View Post
 

I've always been a Weller man. My original just died (after 18 years of rough service) - replaced it with a new Weller WES51 - found it on Amazon for right at $100 shipped. Have been VERY happy with it since.  Great fast heat, ESD protected.

 

 

I agree, I like the weller station I just bought. 

 

Also, it is nice to see another fredericksburg guy on the site :beerchug:

post #5 of 9

Can someone recommend a good soldering iron to do the iPod Classic diyMod?

post #6 of 9

Just saw the Hakko FX888D on slickdeals  at Fry's for $70, free shipping.  If anyone is interested.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/112720/frys---hakko-fx-888d-soldering-station

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipinoAko View Post
 

Can someone recommend a good soldering iron to do the iPod Classic diyMod?

 

 

This is what I use:

 

http://www.frys.com/product/1556283

 

 

Anyone not looking to spend a lot on an iron should consider it I think.  Granted I don't have a lot of experience with irons, so I can't say it's better than it's competition at that price, but I found it way better than the cheap irons in the Wal-Mart hardware section.  I let my roommate use it once and he remarked to me how much he liked it as well.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipinoAko View Post
 

Can someone recommend a good soldering iron to do the iPod Classic diyMod?

 

 

This is what I use:

 

http://www.frys.com/product/1556283

 

 

Anyone not looking to spend a lot on an iron should consider it I think.  Granted I don't have a lot of experience with irons, so I can't say it's better than it's competition at that price, but I found it way better than the cheap irons in the Wal-Mart hardware section.  I let my roommate use it once and he remarked to me how much he liked it as well.


Excellent choice!!!

 

IMHO, that's perhaps the finest quality soldering iron available for electronic circuit work.  A Hakko soldering station would be better, but for the price - it's simply one of the finest quality irons ever made.

post #9 of 9

I have this one:

 

http://www.circuitspecialists.com/bk2000-soldering-station.html

 

It is a very good soldering station for the money. Got me thru 5 full recaps of stereo amplifiers and receivers, two DIY amps and countless of small soldering jobs. Still going strong on an original tip and heating element.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Question about soldering iron