or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SACD and Headphones

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

How would I connect a SACD player to a Schiit Stack?  I own http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2574 and would love to listen to it in all of its glory.  Should I rip the SACD somehow and purchase a Loki for DSD playback through Foobar and the SACD plugin? 

 

OR

 

Am I being dumb trying to listen to a multi-channel SACD on headphones...would the standard stereo version you can play on a cd player be as good as it gets?  Should I just rip that to FLAC?

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

I kind of found my own answer:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/536052/sacd-player-headphone-amp

 

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/multi-channel-sacd-and-stereo-playback.46367/

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/514730/sacd-advantage-for-headphones

post #3 of 12
I'm curious to what you ended up finding. I'm very interested in the Modi/Magni combo, but I listen to music via (portable) CD player, instead of through my computer. Can one connect a Schiit DAC/headphone amp stack to a CD player easily? Is there a point of using an external DAC with a CD player?
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

Yes, just use a headphone jack from the protable to a Y connector RCA cable with male ends and connect that directly to the Magni.  You do not need the Modi for your portable cd player only if you are playing files from your PC/Laptop.  If you are going to stream DSD files from your laptop to the Schiit stack you will also need the Loki from Schiit.  Hope that helps.

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaphexed View Post
 

Yes, just use a headphone jack from the protable to a Y connector RCA cable with male ends and connect that directly to the Magni.  You do not need the Modi for your portable cd player only if you are playing files from your PC/Laptop.  If you are going to stream DSD files from your laptop to the Schiit stack you will also need the Loki from Schiit.  Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response!  Would this work?  http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-RCA-Y-Adapter-Inches/dp/B004EBX5GW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390339052&sr=1-2&keywords=y+connector+rca

 

Does one not need a DAC for any CD player?  Interesting....

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

I believe you need a 3.5mm jack to the rca male correct?  You are going from the headphone out on your portable player right?

I think this is what you would need:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1390339343&sr=8-5&keywords=3.5mm+audio+to+dual+rca

 

 

Your portable player would have a built in DAC just like an ipod.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward777 View Post

Thanks for the response!  Would this work?  http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-RCA-Y-Adapter-Inches/dp/B004EBX5GW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390339052&sr=1-2&keywords=y+connector+rca

Does one not need a DAC for any CD player?  Interesting....

A CD player without a DAC is called a transport. Not too popular these days, unlike ~15 years ago. HTH
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaphexed View Post
 

I believe you need a 3.5mm jack to the rca male correct?  You are going from the headphone out on your portable player right?

I think this is what you would need:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1390339343&sr=8-5&keywords=3.5mm+audio+to+dual+rca

 

 

Your portable player would have a built in DAC just like an ipod.

Thanks, that is helpful.

 

Also, thank you, Shaffer, for the info about the CD transport.  I guess the only reason to get another DAC would be to override the (presumably?) cheap DAC in my portable CD player for a better one.  Or is that something that isn't really necessary.

 

And, yes, I imagine I would be going from the headphone out on the portable player, and then I would connect my headphones straight into the headphone amp, I suppose.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward777 View Post

Thanks, that is helpful.

Also, thank you, Shaffer, for the info about the CD transport.  I guess the only reason to get another DAC would be to override the (presumably?) cheap DAC in my portable CD player for a better one. Yes.  Or is that something that isn't really necessary. Very much, depends. For example, it wouldn't make much sense to get a DAC for my Oppo105. OTOH, a DAC for a portable makes more sense. This being said, a DAC like the Modi may not be much of an improvement (I own one), so you may want to consider your budget, as well as your expectations. The latter being most important in terms of personal satisfaction.

And, yes, I imagine I would be going from the headphone out on the portable player, and then I would connect my headphones straight into the headphone amp, I suppose.

....reply in bold.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

You would not be able to attach a Modi to a standalone player portable or not.  The transport for the Modi is USB and meant for 'puters.

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaphexed View Post

You would not be able to attach a Modi to a standalone player portable or not.

One would need a SPDIF/USB converter. It can be had for as little as ~$25.
Quote:
 The transport for the Modi is USB and meant for 'puters.

You must mean the input.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

what he said ;p

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home