or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Need help choosing an AMP/Mixer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help choosing an AMP/Mixer

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Alright guys I have been trying to figure this out on my own and I'm getting nowhere. I have 2 computers and I want to output audio from both of them to my single pair of headphones (at the same time). I have an Asus DGX in one and an X-Fi Titanium HD in the other. For headphones I have a few pairs of Audio Technicas but mostly use my MMX300s (mostly games and msuic). All I know is I don't want a Y cable or anything else that will degrade the quality of my sound. I have a 500 dollar budget to accomplish this goal. I am really new to AMPs, DACs, Mixers and really appreciate any advice the Head-Fi community has to offer!

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnstabn View Post
 

Alright guys I have been trying to figure this out on my own and I'm getting nowhere. I have 2 computers and I want to output audio from both of them to my single pair of headphones (at the same time). I have an Asus DGX in one and an X-Fi Titanium HD in the other. For headphones I have a few pairs of Audio Technicas but mostly use my MMX300s (mostly games and msuic). All I know is I don't want a Y cable or anything else that will degrade the quality of my sound. I have a 500 dollar budget to accomplish this goal. I am really new to AMPs, DACs, Mixers and really appreciate any advice the Head-Fi community has to offer!

just run the optical out of the dgx to the optical in on the titanium HD then switch the listening mode on in the optical in found in the recording sound prefences

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkytime View Post
 

~~just run the optical out of the dgx to the optical in on the titanium HD then switch the listening mode on in the optical in found in the recording sound prefences

Thanks for the reply Honkytime. Do you think this configuration will yield high quality sound being routed from the DGX to the X-Fi? And would adding an amp to the mix negatively impact anything in this case?

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnstabn View Post
 

Thanks for the reply Honkytime. Do you think this configuration will yield high quality sound being routed from the DGX to the X-Fi? And would adding an amp to the mix negatively impact anything in this case?

Yes the sound quality should be fine. but as you are going to listen to two audio devices simultaneously there might be some confusion as the sounds will overlap on top of each other.

 

and adding an amp? this i don't understand if you mean running the amp off the titanium hd's outputs. no the amp shouldn't have any issues as the sound card will do all the processing.

the biggest issue that will be to disable the second computer audio you'll have to manually disable listening mode every time you don't want to listen to the other PC anymore. 

post #5 of 7

I tested this setup with my own Titanium HD today and couldn't tell the difference in sound between my PC and my media server PC

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 

Yep the output of the Titanium HD would then go into a desktop AMP. Sorry to keep bugging you with questions, but I have one more. I really like CMSS-3d Headphone and don't want any of my virtual positional audio to be impacted. Will adding an amp cause any negative impact? I am hoping it just adds clarity and volume.

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnstabn View Post
 

Yep the output of the Titanium HD would then go into a desktop AMP. Sorry to keep bugging you with questions, but I have one more. I really like CMSS-3d Headphone and don't want any of my virtual positional audio to be impacted. Will adding an amp cause any negative impact? I am hoping it just adds clarity and volume.

yes clarity and volume would be correct as my Ti HD outputs to my Schitt Magni atm. I did not notice and negatives thou i did not try it in game mode only audio creation

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Need help choosing an AMP/Mixer