or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Fiio amp for Sound Quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Fiio amp for Sound Quality

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am participating in the Perfect Sound Dido D901 tour, and I don't have a suitable amp to drive them. I'm thinking that I should get a used Fiio here, and then sell it when I'm done. The goal is to have a way to connect my Concero DAC to the Dido (my speaker amp is not the greatest choice...). Bonus points if the Fiio can also drive Hifiman HE-400s adequately, so I can make a fair comparison review between the two headphones. To be clear -- I will just be using this unit for a week or so, then selling it. Please don't recommend better / more expensive amps.

I'm indifferent to DAC functionality, as long as the unit has a line in. Though it would be interesting to compare the Concero to a Fiio DAC. Amp quality takes priority either way.

So which of the Fiio units has the best sounding amp section? The Dido is extremely sensitive, so power isn't really an issue.

I am not necessarily opposed to a different model of cheap amp, but I've owned a CMOY in the past and I figured it would be good to get a chance to hear a Fiio since they are so popular here.
Edited by manbear - 1/14/14 at 10:05am
post #2 of 10

I own E17 and it does drive K240 mk ii and HE 400 well. However, it is a dac/amp and it has auxillary line in.

 

You could also try E12.

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinstein View Post
 

I own E17 and it does drive K240 mk ii and HE 400 well. However, it is a dac/amp and it has auxillary line in.

 

You could also try E12.

 

I would say the E17 is not adequate for the 400's, get the E12.

 

E17: 220mw @ 32ohm

E12: 880mw @ 32ohm

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
 

 

I would say the E17 is not adequate for the 400's, get the E12.

 

E17: 220mw @ 32ohm

E12: 880mw @ 32ohm


Hifiman HE-400 needs only 0,33 mW for 90dB SPL (innerfidelity measurements).

 

I think even 84mW @ 50 Ohm is plenty of power to drive HE-400.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

In the past, I've rigged up my speaker amp with resistors to get less than 220 mw into the HE-400. It sounded fine. So I think the E17 could work just as well. Assuming its power specs are accurate anyway. 

 

It seems like the consensus is either E17 or E12 then? The two most expensive ones. No E6? What about the E11? 


Edited by manbear - 1/14/14 at 2:25pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 

In the past, I've rigged up my speaker amp with resistors to get less than 220 mw into the HE-400. It sounded fine. So think the E17 could work just as well. Assuming its power specs are accurate anyway. 

 

It seems like the consensus is either E17 or E12 then? No E6? What about the E11? 

 

specs don't matter in this case since this is not a subjective thing, the E17 drives the HE400 fine, with plenty of leftover room on the volume adjust.  it can easily drive them much louder than i could listen to without serious damage

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
 

 

I would say the E17 is not adequate for the 400's, get the E12.

 

E17: 220mw @ 32ohm

E12: 880mw @ 32ohm

 

This experienced head fier (http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux) told me that E17 can drive HE 400. The volume control is divided into 60 units (0 to 60). I hardly crossed over 26.

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
It's obvious to me that 220 mw is plenty for the HE-400. I've heard it sound great with less. My primary goal is to power extremely sensitive headphones other than the HE-400, so it doesn't really matter either way.

I'm more interested in comments on the lesser Fiio models right now. To reiterate: I'm buying a Fiio to use for a week and then sell. How much worse are the E11, E6, and E07k? Which models have the best resale value?
Edited by manbear - 1/14/14 at 8:00pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post

It's obvious to me that 220 mw is plenty for the HE-400. I've heard it sound great with less. My primary goal is to power extremely sensitive headphones other than the HE-400, so it doesn't really matter either way.

I'm more interested in comments on the lesser Fiio models right now. To reiterate: I'm buying a Fiio to use for a week and then sell. How much worse are the E11, E6, and E07k? Which models have the best resale value?


You could get E07K, it is as powerful as E17 and uses the same DAC.

E17 has a more refined Amp, but I've heard many people saying that differences are hardly (or non) audibles.

 

I think E07K has the best price-performance ratio and that is why I own E07K

=D

 

Best Luck!

post #10 of 10

Since you don't need the DAC and will be selling soon, I would get the E11.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Fiio amp for Sound Quality