or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Recommend a receiver and speaker set for under $500?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommend a receiver and speaker set for under $500?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I currently have this setup:

 

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/audio-video/audio-amplifiers/dta-1-class-t-digital-amplifier-15-wpc.html

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-120-ht-series-12-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-635

 

The amplifier is broken, and currently I'm just jamming wires into the back of it.

 

I'm looking to replace those speakers with something a little better, and to replace the amp with a receiver that can power speakers.

 

I have a record player (and preamp) and use aux input a lot.  Any information would be great!  Thanks in advance.

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
 

I currently have this setup:

 

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/audio-video/audio-amplifiers/dta-1-class-t-digital-amplifier-15-wpc.html

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-120-ht-series-12-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-635

 

The amplifier is broken, and currently I'm just jamming wires into the back of it.

 

I'm looking to replace those speakers with something a little better, and to replace the amp with a receiver that can power speakers.

 

I have a record player (and preamp) and use aux input a lot.  Any information would be great!  Thanks in advance.

You might consider getting a refurb A/V receiver off Accessories 4 less.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html?brand=&r=52d5bfe7

From what they currently have, I would say to go for a Denon receiver.

 

Speaker wise, Polk Audio speakers always seem to be on sale somewhere.

Maybe not the best speakers, but should be a good value when on sale, for the price you pay.

Pioneers speakers in the $100 range have been getting good feedback lately.

Check Techbargins website.

post #3 of 7

Can you SQUEEZE a few more dollars ?

 

speakers - $400 a pair...These were originally $1000 + each back in the day

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor70-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B00631YX62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389752714&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+monitor+70

 

Receiver - $279 and has the built in phono amp

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044779H2

 

Total of $679 and this combo will floor you

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

Speaker wise, Polk Audio speakers always seem to be on sale somewhere.

Maybe not the best speakers, but should be a good value when on sale, for the price you pay.

.

People never respect these but let me tell you..If I had to replace them, I WOULD find another pair because they are awesome...Have no clue why people don't give them the respect they deserve

 

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys!  Those Polk ones looks great, I'm going to search around for them.  And thanks for the refurb receiver suggestion!  I'm going to go that route as well.

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
 

Thanks guys!  Those Polk ones looks great, I'm going to search around for them.  And thanks for the refurb receiver suggestion!  I'm going to go that route as well.


You wont' be sorry on the Polks..they are good from 20-275 watts and because they have a 90db efficiency rating, they are easily driven. I have actually run them with a 10wpc console amp

 

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/monitor70

 

Just a note...they are HEAVY and they are DEEP - 47lbs each

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 

(Just saw this for some reason, sorry.)  That's good to know about the weight, thanks.  I hadn't even considered that.  Won't be able to nab them for a few weeks yet, so I'm glad I saw your comment!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Recommend a receiver and speaker set for under $500?