or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › HD 598 vs HD 600 (which has more detail)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD 598 vs HD 600 (which has more detail) - Page 4

post #46 of 91
Thread Starter 

What are you looking for in your headphones (What type of sound)?

post #47 of 91

I'd say a fairly neutral sound, and keeping to the original recording is desirable. If straying from that, perhaps slightly towards a bass emphasis.

post #48 of 91

The old Pioneer SX-880 receiver I have actually has a very nice headphone out sound, so it will be interesting to see how the Asgard2 compares.

post #49 of 91

The Mr. Speaker Maddogs also sound intriguing from the reviews I've read. It just seems like there are so many great possibilities. I just wish there was somewhere you could go and audition them against each other with music of your choice.

post #50 of 91

Having tried both of the headphones in question, I can say with conviction that the HD600 is the way to go, especially if you're into energetic music. The HD600 sounds (to my ears) more clear, more powerful, more detailed, maybe not quite as immediate, but it sounds more life-like. To my ears the HD598 sounds fake, like the energy is being taken away from the original recording. They sound in a weird way more flat than actual flat, which sounds weird but if you get a chance to try them both I promise you'll see what I'm saying. The HD600 are my personal favorite headphones Sennheiser has made for the price (except maybe the HD800, which I've tried many times, but never had the pleasure of owning). For rock music the HD600 are in my mind literally the perfect headphone. I don't know if this has been covered, but if you're getting either of the headphones you mentioned, you're going to need an amp at least, and probably also a DAC. If you're on a budget, the Schiit Audio Magni/Modi combo is killer, as is the Little Dot MKII. 

post #51 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyDan View Post
 

Having tried both of the headphones in question, I can say with conviction that the HD600 is the way to go, especially if you're into energetic music. The HD600 sounds (to my ears) more clear, more powerful, more detailed, maybe not quite as immediate, but it sounds more life-like. To my ears the HD598 sounds fake, like the energy is being taken away from the original recording. They sound in a weird way more flat than actual flat, which sounds weird but if you get a chance to try them both I promise you'll see what I'm saying. The HD600 are my personal favorite headphones Sennheiser has made for the price (except maybe the HD800, which I've tried many times, but never had the pleasure of owning). For rock music the HD600 are in my mind literally the perfect headphone. I don't know if this has been covered, but if you're getting either of the headphones you mentioned, you're going to need an amp at least, and probably also a DAC. If you're on a budget, the Schiit Audio Magni/Modi combo is killer, as is the Little Dot MKII. 

Already got that covered. ;) 
I have the Asgard 2/Modi Stack :)

post #52 of 91

It sounds like I need to find a place where I can listen to the HD600. I have the Schiit Modi/Asgard2 combo coming this week. I plan on trying it out with the Modi/Asgard2 combo, and the Modi/Pioneer SX-880 combo to see what to keep. The headphone out on this vintage Pioneer SX-880 receiver is actually quite nice. With a good DAC between it and the computer, it sounds very nice.

post #53 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime86 View Post


The HD600 is alright but it's overpriced. I'd go with the 598 it's half the price has the same amount of detail, if not more and it's on the dame level quality wise.

 

I think you may be the only person on the planet that considers the HD600 overpriced.  

 

I think the vast majority of folks with any experience with the HD600 consider it one of THE all-time greatest audio bargains.

 

Here's an excerpt from DavidMahlers excellent 58 flagship headphone review (5 headphones rated an A+ score...the HD600 was one of them)

 

"Dollar for dollar, the HD600 is among the best sounding headphones I have ever heard. Therefore, I feel it deserves a place in every serious headphone collection."

post #54 of 91
Thread Starter 

Does anyone else consider the HD 600's warmer than the 598's?

post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
 

Does anyone else consider the HD 600's warmer than the 598's?

I'm not sure I would call them "warm" because that implies that they are a colored headphone. I think the HD600 is one of the most neutral headphones ever made. Anything less "warm," in my opinion, should be considered to be more on the "cold" or "sterile" side. If that's what you want, go for it. I have a friend with the HD598 and he ended his headphone hobby after that because he loves them so much. They're all he uses anymore. He considers them so detailed that every night he smokes up and "loses himself in the detail" before he goes to bed. To me they sound boring and cold. To each his own. 

post #56 of 91
Thread Starter 

Yeah I want something full, because the HD 598's are alittle to bright and sterile for my taste's. They also have a lot of grain in some of my music such as the Master of Puppets album, and System of a Down's Toxicity/Steal This Album!.

post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
 

Yeah I want something full, because the HD 598's are alittle to bright and sterile for my taste's. They also have a lot of grain in some of my music such as the Master of Puppets album, and System of a Down's Toxicity/Steal This Album!.

I get the feeling that you're just saying things for entertainment.

post #58 of 91
Thread Starter 

^ What do you mean?

post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
 

^ What do you mean?

Busted.

post #60 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Busted.

No... I'm just asking as many people as I can for there impressions of the headphones, and if its all what I'm looking for, I will get them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › HD 598 vs HD 600 (which has more detail)