Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › New Releases 2014 - No Records Released Before 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Releases 2014 - No Records Released Before 2014 - Page 2

post #16 of 141

 

 

Slow Phaser by Nicole Atkins

 

Another artist where I struggle to figure out a sub-genre. Let's call it indie pop-folk-rock with some western and disco flavors...indie honky-tonk?--whatever.  Fresh and original material, beautiful smoky, velvet vocals--simply and cleanly produced.


Edited by Barry S - 2/13/14 at 2:01pm
post #17 of 141

Contact - ATB (Trance)

 

*

post #18 of 141

 

 

Sun Kil Moon - Benji

 

I honestly and personally feel that this is one of the lyrically wise, brutally honest albums that I have heard in years/decades! 

 

I find it the emotional level of what I consider a masterpiece 'Berlin" by Lou Reed, except that "Benji" is not a fictionalized album but true stories from northern Ohio by Mark Kozelek and from a long time(less) ago. If you're older than 35-40.. then you will get it... Otherwise move on.. Sorry, not quite true... there's a lot to learn from this album no matter how old we are...

 

I will listen to this album all throughout 2014 and beyond that..Songwriting at its highest level/near mind blowing and with a unique personal touch... I'm enticed/shattered by the stories, so real... hits me right in the weak point and I almost feel that it is my life... or like I'm right there and experienced it all.. Reminds me of my past, friends and family that all to me what I'm today and what I respect and appreciate.. I now truly miss my Grandmother, recognize the value of my family and friends... and feel for those who lost much more.

 

This is a huge credit to any album... from me at least.. I bend over and bow respectively for this album because it also made me reflect on my own life and what happens around us beyond our own little bubble.. making me think about what is truly important and what is not...

 

Five stars out of five.. and yes, I'm judging this album from a more emotional aspect than technical/musical aspect..But the Songs Remain The Same..and  I realize after all the death, tragedies and emotional that this albums expose me to, it is all about moving forward and grasp the real moment of here and now, create a new past..


Edited by Jupiterknight - 2/13/14 at 10:46pm
post #19 of 141
post #20 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight View Post
 

 

 

Sun Kil Moon - Benji

 

I honestly and personally feel that this is one of the lyrically wise, brutally honest albums that I have heard in years/decades! 

 

I find it the emotional level of what I consider a masterpiece 'Berlin" by Lou Reed, except that "Benji" is not a fictionalized album but true stories from northern Ohio by Mark Kozelek and from a long time(less) ago. If you're older than 35-40.. then you will get it... Otherwise move on.. Sorry, not quite true... there's a lot to learn from this album no matter how old we are...

 

I will listen to this album all throughout 2014 and beyond that..Songwriting at its highest level/near mind blowing and with a unique personal touch... I'm enticed/shattered by the stories, so real... hits me right in the weak point and I almost feel that it is my life... or like I'm right there and experienced it all.. Reminds me of my past, friends and family that all to me what I'm today and what I respect and appreciate.. I now truly miss my Grandmother, recognize the value of my family and friends... and feel for those who lost much more.

 

This is a huge credit to any album... from me at least.. I bend over and bow respectively for this album because it also made me reflect on my own life and what happens around us beyond our own little bubble.. making me think about what is truly important and what is not...

 

Five stars out of five.. and yes, I'm judging this album from a more emotional aspect than technical/musical aspect..But the Songs Remain The Same..and  I realize after all the death, tragedies and emotional that this albums expose me to, it is all about moving forward and grasp the real moment of here and now, create a new past..

 

Have heard that this is an utterly fantastic album, maybe Kozalek's best, which is saying something. I'll probably blind-buy it today if I get a chance to visit my record store while I'm out and about.

post #21 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

Have heard that this is an utterly fantastic album, maybe Kozalek's best, which is saying something. I'll probably blind-buy it today if I get a chance to visit my record store while I'm out and about.

I also have it on my to buy list

post #22 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

Have heard that this is an utterly fantastic album, maybe Kozalek's best, which is saying something. I'll probably blind-buy it today if I get a chance to visit my record store while I'm out and about.

I definitely feel that it fits alongside with "Songs For A Blue Guitar" my favorite Red House Painters album, albeit "Benji" is way more direct and  personal/storytelling album from Kozalek.


Edited by Jupiterknight - 2/14/14 at 9:12pm
post #23 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiterknight View Post
 

I definitely feel that it fits alongside with "Songs For A Blue Guitar" my favorite Red House Painters album, albeit "Benji" is way more direct and  personal/storytelling album from Kozalek.

 

Picked it up, started listening to it on my drive home. Reminds me a bit of Springsteen's Nebraska, except way more personal and even more hard-hitting. Only five tracks in and it's dredged up events and people that I haven't thought about it in years. To be honest, I sort of which that it hadn't. Really evocative and powerful. Looking forward to spending some more time with it later, when no one else is around.

post #24 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

Picked it up, started listening to it on my drive home. Reminds me a bit of Springsteen's Nebraska, except way more personal and even more hard-hitting. Only five tracks in and it's dredged up events and people that I haven't thought about it in years. To be honest, I sort of which that it hadn't. Really evocative and powerful. Looking forward to spending some more time with it later, when no one else is around.

That was my experience as well when listening to this album  Kozalek's personal experience and life story telling brought up my own memories that made me related to his songs very easily and I have to admit that my eyes became a bit misty and this usually doesn't happen that because I'm a real man..:wink_face:  As you said, powerful lyrics and presentation.. No matter where we are or from, it will hit you right in the gut.. 

 

"I watched the film the song remains the same" that particular song is a roller coaster and a masterpiece.. IMO Well, all songs touches me in very different way and this is a unique accomplishment from any artist and a treat although it brings up memories that I for long have pushed aside.. In the end the last song "Ben's my friend" finish this album of in a very upbeat sound and feel... It is all good.. and we keep moving forward but our past and memories is so important because it has more or less made us who we are today..

 

 

All songs are true real live stories from Kozaleks' life for instance "Jim Wise"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ohio-man-seek-clemency-wife-mercy-killing-article-1.1546152

 

"Carissa"  http://www.cantonrep.com/x1884769787/Woman-dies-in-fire-outside-her-home


Edited by Jupiterknight - 2/14/14 at 10:40pm
post #25 of 141

 

Bohren are one of a very small handful of bands that can make music that is as sinister as it is relaxing. Yeah, it's true that their sound has not really evolved at all--pick up any Bohren album and it'll sound pretty much exactly the same as any of their others. But there's no denying that they've mastered dark jazz as a genre--as a pure expression of dark ambient music as filtered through jazz, Bohren's music simply cannot be beat.

 

Also, if you haven't listened to the new Sun Kil Moon and you're big on country/folk/indie-rock singer/songwriter stuff, you are doing yourself a *grave* disservice. Some people aren't too excited about it given how much of a departure it is from SKM's earlier material (insofar as the lyrics are concerned), but I think it's a real emotional wringer--by allowing himself to specifically detail moments in his life and his relationships with other (real) people Mark Kozalek is proving the point (well illustrated by James Joyce and Roger Ebert, among others), that the more specific and personal your storytelling the more universal it becomes. When you try to create something that's 'for everyone' you're actually creating something that's for no one. Kozalek has long been a master of making sad music for sad people--well, now he's a ******* wizard at it, precisely because this is music for everyone. If you can't find something to relate to here, then chances are you're actually a lizard. Go see your doctor about that.

post #26 of 141

The new Black Dirt Oak Wawayanda Patent is a kind of weird but very interesting blend of experimental and atmospheric appalachian folk music, desert stoner rock, and a little bit of Middle Eastern gypsy sound. Kinda cool, and kinda stuck on repeat for the last few days or so. Nice and kind of relaxed sounding with DR11, if that means much to you. Definitely against the trend.

 

post #27 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

Bohren are one of a very small handful of bands that can make music that is as sinister as it is relaxing. Yeah, it's true that their sound has not really evolved at all--pick up any Bohren album and it'll sound pretty much exactly the same as any of their others. But there's no denying that they've mastered dark jazz as a genre--as a pure expression of dark ambient music as filtered through jazz, Bohren's music simply cannot be beat.

 

Also, if you haven't listened to the new Sun Kil Moon and you're big on country/folk/indie-rock singer/songwriter stuff, you are doing yourself a *grave* disservice. Some people aren't too excited about it given how much of a departure it is from SKM's earlier material (insofar as the lyrics are concerned), but I think it's a real emotional wringer--by allowing himself to specifically detail moments in his life and his relationships with other (real) people Mark Kozalek is proving the point (well illustrated by James Joyce and Roger Ebert, among others), that the more specific and personal your storytelling the more universal it becomes. When you try to create something that's 'for everyone' you're actually creating something that's for no one. Kozalek has long been a master of making sad music for sad people--well, now he's a ******* wizard at it, precisely because this is music for everyone. If you can't find something to relate to here, then chances are you're actually a lizard. Go see your doctor about that.

Got it the day it came out, listened to it several times already and it is currently in my car player

post #28 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata View Post
 

 

Bohren are one of a very small handful of bands that can make music that is as sinister as it is relaxing. Yeah, it's true that their sound has not really evolved at all--pick up any Bohren album and it'll sound pretty much exactly the same as any of their others. But there's no denying that they've mastered dark jazz as a genre--as a pure expression of dark ambient music as filtered through jazz, Bohren's music simply cannot be beat.

 

Also, if you haven't listened to the new Sun Kil Moon and you're big on country/folk/indie-rock singer/songwriter stuff, you are doing yourself a *grave* disservice. Some people aren't too excited about it given how much of a departure it is from SKM's earlier material (insofar as the lyrics are concerned), but I think it's a real emotional wringer--by allowing himself to specifically detail moments in his life and his relationships with other (real) people Mark Kozalek is proving the point (well illustrated by James Joyce and Roger Ebert, among others), that the more specific and personal your storytelling the more universal it becomes. When you try to create something that's 'for everyone' you're actually creating something that's for no one. Kozalek has long been a master of making sad music for sad people--well, now he's a ******* wizard at it, precisely because this is music for everyone. If you can't find something to relate to here, then chances are you're actually a lizard. Go see your doctor about that.

 

You completely nailed it.. all my thoughts and you manage to put them into words... :beerchug: Even the James Joyce reference.. the "shorter" novel "A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man" is one of my favorite reads.. "Ulysses" a very long read but when I finally got through it.. Then, I actually read it again and several times later on which places me out there.. 

I guess...:confused_face_2: 


Edited by Jupiterknight - 2/21/14 at 9:10pm
post #29 of 141
Thread Starter 

 

Beck - Morning Phase (2014)

 

I'm not going to try to review this one, because I've barely heard any of it. I'm just going to say it's available.

 

It seems to be somewhat in the vein of "Sea Change," but I have no idea if it's anywhere close to that classic, and really, I'd be surprised if it was. I just picked it up, so I'm going to give it a listen and go from there.

post #30 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post
 

 

Beck - Morning Phase (2014)

 

I'm not going to try to review this one, because I've barely heard any of it. I'm just going to say it's available.

 

It seems to be somewhat in the vein of "Sea Change," but I have no idea if it's anywhere close to that classic, and really, I'd be surprised if it was. I just picked it up, so I'm going to give it a listen and go from there.

 

I've been listening to this all day and although I was underwhelmed at first--this is a well-made, polished album that sneaks up on you. Beck isn't breaking any ground with this release, but I dare you to find a better crafted alt-rock recording. Every track sounds crisp, solid, and well-produced. The songs are intimate more than anthemic, and Beck's soaring ethereal vocals consistently elevate the material. Sea Change II? Maybe, but that's not a bad thing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › New Releases 2014 - No Records Released Before 2014