Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Another streaming service: Beats Music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another streaming service: Beats Music

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Do we need it?

 

http://blog.beatsmusic.com/2014/01/11/beats-music-is-here/

post #2 of 13

I like the idea of the non-algorithmic playlists and recommendations they are touting by employing musicians. I also heard a rumor that they would be using location information to generate playlists so for example if you tag your location at a gym, every day that you go there you will get a playlist that is tailored to that activity in that location

I would consider switching from spotify but I have too much time vested in playlists and what not. 

post #3 of 13

Beats bought out MOG in 2012. This new service is based on MOG's 320kbs library, and MOG will be shut down 4/15.

I am a long time spotify user- I received a beta invite, and have paid for the premium since. I recently discovered MOG, and due to it's higher quality transcodes, started moving all my playlists to it. Even though Spotify has some 320kbs rips, they are often transcodes from their 160kbs 'regular' quality library, meaning the songs have similar quality to the 160kbs rips. 

 

While I hate the beats brand, hopefully beats music will keep in MOG's tradition and maintain a high quality library while providing an updated interface- something MOG desperately needed.

post #4 of 13
Not available in my country ..Canada. grrr
post #5 of 13

I just got onto MOG after being on Pandora for years. So, just now, I DL's the mobile only beats app. First I must say I hate using it because it's called "Beats". haha Otherwise it's similar to Spotify or MOG. Click a few genres you like and then some artists you like and you're listening to music. It doesn't show the bit rate per album like MOG does, but in the settings it says 320. It does sound as good as MOG. Right now, they are doing 7 days free. So I'll take advantage of that. Since my MOG account is dying soon, I guess maybe I'll try this out, but they seriously need to reconsider the name...

 

Kim Dotcom is launching a streaming music service. I'm interested to see what he offers. He generally does good work and would likely be inclined to distro audiophile grade rips. I would be happy to pay a bit more to get masters. Who cares about DL bandwidth these days? At work and at home I'm on wifi anyways. 

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman46 View Post

Not available in my country ..Canada. grrr

 

VPN... Appear to be anywhere in the world. Get a prepaid Visa card from the States and you are good to go.

 

I didn't know they are using MOG's library.  My family uses AT&T so this is extremely tempting.  Too bad I just moved to Google Music All Access and love it.  I may try the free 3 month trial.

post #7 of 13

Has anybody tried out the service?  I'm trying to decide what to do come April.......so disappointed MOG is going away.  I've been A/B-ing songs between Spotify and MOG today and MOG just sounds better to me.....but better enough to try Beats???  Oh well, it's been a while since I went by the CD store.

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jww187 View Post
 

Has anybody tried out the service?  I'm trying to decide what to do come April.......so disappointed MOG is going away.  I've been A/B-ing songs between Spotify and MOG today and MOG just sounds better to me.....but better enough to try Beats???  Oh well, it's been a while since I went by the CD store.

 

From what people have said here and the fact that Beats owns MOG I am pretty sure Beats is using the MOG library (same files).  Should be almost identical if not identical in sound quality.

post #9 of 13

Almost all of their stuff is 320.

 

http://support.beatsmusic.com/hc/en-us/articles/200459220-What-audio-quality-bitrate-does-Beats-support-

 

 

I've been on it since day 1. It's not bad thought my Theorm 720. You occasionally get tracks that seem off, but most everything is OK. Their playlist algo seems weird to me, you kind of have to DJ yourself instead of an endless stream like Pandora. 

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jww187 View Post
 

Has anybody tried out the service?  I'm trying to decide what to do come April.......so disappointed MOG is going away.  I've been A/B-ing songs between Spotify and MOG today and MOG just sounds better to me.....but better enough to try Beats???  Oh well, it's been a while since I went by the CD store.

 

See also the last page of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563809/spotify-vs-mog/45

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post
 

 

From what people have said here and the fact that Beats owns MOG I am pretty sure Beats is using the MOG library (same files).  Should be almost identical if not identical in sound quality.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justuspost View Post
 

Almost all of their stuff is 320.

 

http://support.beatsmusic.com/hc/en-us/articles/200459220-What-audio-quality-bitrate-does-Beats-support-

 

 

I've been on it since day 1. It's not bad thought my Theorm 720. You occasionally get tracks that seem off, but most everything is OK. Their playlist algo seems weird to me, you kind of have to DJ yourself instead of an endless stream like Pandora. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemen View Post
 

 

See also the last page of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563809/spotify-vs-mog/45

 

Thanks for the info.  Since it's the same catalog and 320 kbps I think I'll give it try.  I'm actually kinda interested in seeing how the sentence works.  I just hope they come up with a way to let me import my favorites and playlist as mentioned earlier in the thread.....many hours spent putting them together.

 

Interestingly, after I posted today, I realized both spotify and MOG were streaming at 160kbps....didn't have a great internet connection where I was at.  Still, MOG sounded better to me.....noticable more detail in the music. 

post #12 of 13

Beats Music just took over MOG as of today, May 31st. I was a subscriber to MOG and was just listening last night.


Edited by funch - 6/1/14 at 8:44am
post #13 of 13

Thank god the quality is above that of the average MP3. I was expecting, like, 60 kbps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Another streaming service: Beats Music