So I've been watching a lot of reviews and reading through a lot of other websites, guides and threads especially mad lust envy's/nameless's guides for headphones but I'm still a little confused as to what to buy. My basic needs or concerns are as follows:
- I have no amp, nor discrete soundcard and don't particularly want to need to buy or install one. I understand I may not get the best quality as a result of this
- I play games mostly for fun, occasionally FPS's but nothing serious. Immersion is important to me. I also want to be able to watch movies or listen to music (electro, chill, pop, rock, drum n bass)
- I am in Australia, land of the everything overpriced. Amazon does ship, but not all models etc.
- I am getting the headphones for my birthday, and the price range is about $200, maybe $300 max if i chip in. <$200 is better
Bearing in mind that I have no experience in headphones whatsoever (at best I have used a pair of sennheiser HD202 once) I rounded up some options:
- Skullcandy SLYR --> $80
- Corsair vengeance 1500 v2 --> $115 (I don't see these mentioned anywhere on this site)
Headphones which i could attach a mic (Zalman mic:$10 unless there is a better suggestion):
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50 --> $150
- Sennheiser momentum -->$300
- PSB m4U1 --> $300
Again these are only based on reviews I've looked at from various sites and peoples opinions. I have only been able to try on the sennheiser momentums briefly in a store, I could not find any of the others to try. The momentums seemed comfortable enough but its hard to tell without wearing them for hours.
Finally, the headphones must be closed and over ear. I need to not have sound escaping, noise cancelling is not an issue. I find on ear or in ear uncomfortable.
Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!