Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc. - Page 5

Poll Results: Which one is to your fancy ?

 
  • 13% (23)
    HD6 DJ
  • 9% (17)
    HD7 DJ
  • 59% (103)
    HD8 DJ
  • 17% (30)
    None of them
173 Total Votes  
post #61 of 903

in!

post #62 of 903

Wonder how much of a difference in sound between 7 & 8. The 8 sounds like it would have emphasized bass & highs while HD 7 is emphasized bass but even mids/highs? I'm always on the quest of finding the best "^--" sound out there.

post #63 of 903

Is anyone else here because of bottle of 18 Laphroaig in the cover photo?  

 

 

:ph34r:

 

 

 

 

:beerchug:

post #64 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post

how about soundstage and instrument seperation.

Not expecting it to be big as a dj hp just really curious. 

While the HD8 DJ isn't going to win the awards in the audiophile crowd when stacked up against audiophile-geared headphones in a given area (HD800 is another area), it sounds quite respectable in general and even very good when judged next to other DJ headphones. IMO, YMMV, etc.

I'm not sure the soundstage stands out to me per se, but the depth and weight of the bass. I thought the sound was what I want to call "big." I do not get a "boxed in" feeling from them. I do not find the sound fatiguing. In fact, despite having more audiophile-oriented headphones at my disposal, I've been quite happy recently, enjoying the sound from the HD8 DJ, especially on the go.

As for instrument separation, I feel that these headphones do quite well. I think this is an aim that Sennheiser had when designing the sound signature; the DJ needs to be able to hear the peaks very well so when the tracks drift, it stands out. I feel the HD8 DJ delivers here. They have a dynamic sound with well-defined edges and nice separation of the instruments.

Tunes with big, deep bass sound amazing. I'm thinking of the new I Am Legion EP. Holy dang it sounds massive. Good, forward vocals, expansive backdrop.

Sure I could get ahead a few notches with my LCD-2, but for the purposes of DJing, this sound is just what you want.
Edited by thread - 1/23/14 at 4:53pm
post #65 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post

Hey guys... Massive thanks to Rosmadi Mahmood for this opportunity. He has allowed me to try out the HD8 DJ. What follows are my thoughts, originally posted on my blog.

KILLER write-up!!

 

 

This will always be extremely personal, like loudspeakers are the most personal in a Hifi system (IMO)

 

I really enjoyed the HD8.

As a DJ, I would be excited to upgrade from my trusty HD 25-1 IIs for it! The mids were crisp, and the low end slammed with velocity and authority.

Nothing seemed mucked up necessarily. My ONLY spot, and this is me, is in the lower mids (which Ivan at Sennheiser thought wasn't an off-put

comment, as I expressed it to him at CES).

 

The HD8 was full-bodied sonically, and very comfortable! I'd even enjoy it for recreational listening.

 

For me, I actually preferred the HD7! And like I said,  told the good peeps that when I demo'd both. I thought the HD7 had a far sweeter lower midrange than the 8, and that's crucial for me when DJing (but I should point out I only spin vinyl, the old school way - actually mixing & beat-matching -hence why I don't DJ professionally anymore, LOL).

 

When I say "sweeter" I mean the lower mids were not affected by the extreme lows or the midrange. I could distinguish different sounds at that frequency range faster and easier with the HD7 - so they were closer to my HD 25-1 IIs in terms of their sonic signature, but I felt more of everything (Ivan at Sennheiser giving me the demo also complimented that observation - he was VERY cool and professional) - it was as if I was hearing the next evolution of the HD 25-1 IIs - more bottom, mids and highs, but clarity was intact throughout.

 

The HD8 had, for me, a weightier bottom end overall, and I know a great deal of DJs prefer this - but the HD7 sounded like it would do justice to more genres than the 8 while DJing. The HD8's clarity was also top notch, but I thought the heavier low end stood out more, creeping ever so slightly into the lower midrange. I'm sure people will prefer that as it was more club-like. Me, I'm going for the HD7 - as it gave me precisely what I was seeking: An upgrade to my HD 25-1 IIs!!

 

I hope to review them in full ASAP!

So I can dig in a ill deeper.

 

and YES, and BIG ups to Rosmadi Mahmood!!

You're rockin it.

 

Psyched to find this thread fellas!

Down w/ post-CES flu turned pneumonia.

FUN...

 

music and headphones...

 

gettin me through it...

 

 

post #66 of 903
Cheers, Mike! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts as well.
post #67 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

KILLER write-up!!


This will always be extremely personal, like loudspeakers are the most personal in a Hifi system (IMO)

I really enjoyed the HD8.
As a DJ, I would be excited to upgrade from my trusty HD 25-1 IIs for it! The mids were crisp, and the low end slammed with velocity and authority.
Nothing seemed mucked up necessarily. My ONLY spot, and this is me, is in the lower mids (which Ivan at Sennheiser thought wasn't an off-put
comment, as I expressed it to him at CES).

The HD8 was full-bodied sonically, and very comfortable! I'd even enjoy it for recreational listening.

For me, I actually preferred the HD7! And like I said,  told the good peeps that when I demo'd both. I thought the HD7 had a far sweeter lower midrange than the 8, and that's crucial for me when DJing (but I should point out I only spin vinyl, the old school way - actually mixing & beat-matching -hence why I don't DJ professionally anymore, LOL).

When I say "sweeter" I mean the lower mids were not affected by the extreme lows or the midrange. I could distinguish different sounds at that frequency range faster and easier with the HD7 - so they were closer to my HD 25-1 IIs in terms of their sonic signature, but I felt more of everything (Ivan at Sennheiser giving me the demo also complimented that observation - he was VERY cool and professional) - it was as if I was hearing the next evolution of the HD 25-1 IIs - more bottom, mids and highs, but clarity was intact throughout.

The HD8 had, for me, a weightier bottom end overall, and I know a great deal of DJs prefer this - but the HD7 sounded like it would do justice to more genres than the 8 while DJing. The HD8's clarity was also top notch, but I thought the heavier low end stood out more, creeping ever so slightly into the lower midrange. I'm sure people will prefer that as it was more club-like. Me, I'm going for the HD7 - as it gave me precisely what I was seeking: An upgrade to my HD 25-1 IIs!!

I hope to review them in full ASAP!
So I can dig in a ill deeper.

and YES, and BIG ups to Rosmadi Mahmood!!
You're rockin it.


So for a basshead, which is it? 7 or 8?
Edited by Oregonian - 1/23/14 at 5:57pm
post #68 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post


While the HD8 DJ isn't going to win the awards in the audiophile crowd when stacked up against audiophile-geared headphones in a given area (HD800 is another area), it sounds quite respectable in general and even very good when judged next to other DJ headphones. IMO, YMMV, etc.

I'm not sure the soundstage stands out to me per se, but the depth and weight of the bass. I thought the sound was what I want to call "big." I do not get a "boxed in" feeling from them. I do not find the sound fatiguing. In fact, despite having more audiophile-oriented headphones at my disposal, I've been quite happy recently, enjoying the sound from the HD8 DJ, especially on the go.

As for instrument separation, I feel that these headphones do quite well. I think this is an aim that Sennheiser had when designing the sound signature; the DJ needs to be able to hear the peaks very well so when the tracks drift, it stands out. I feel the HD8 DJ delivers here. They have a dynamic sound with well-defined edges and nice separation of the instruments.

Tunes with big, deep bass sound amazing. I'm thinking of the new I Am Legion EP. Holy dang it sounds massive. Good, forward vocals, expansive backdrop.

Sure I could get ahead a few notches with my LCD-2, but for the purposes of DJing, this sound is just what you want.

That is what I was really asking about... The momentum doesn't sound cramped but its soundstage is on the small side so as long as it has good instrument separation. I am sure they will be at your nearest best buy for a listen eventually.

post #69 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

KILLER write-up!!

 

This will always be extremely personal, like loudspeakers are the most personal in a Hifi system (IMO)

 

I really enjoyed the HD8.

As a DJ, I would be excited to upgrade from my trusty HD 25-1 IIs for it! The mids were crisp, and the low end slammed with velocity and authority.

Nothing seemed mucked up necessarily. My ONLY spot, and this is me, is in the lower mids (which Ivan at Sennheiser thought wasn't an off-put

comment, as I expressed it to him at CES).

 

The HD8 was full-bodied sonically, and very comfortable! I'd even enjoy it for recreational listening.

 

For me, I actually preferred the HD7! And like I said,  told the good peeps that when I demo'd both. I thought the HD7 had a far sweeter lower midrange than the 8, and that's crucial for me when DJing (but I should point out I only spin vinyl, the old school way - actually mixing & beat-matching -hence why I don't DJ professionally anymore, LOL).

 

When I say "sweeter" I mean the lower mids were not affected by the extreme lows or the midrange. I could distinguish different sounds at that frequency range faster and easier with the HD7 - so they were closer to my HD 25-1 IIs in terms of their sonic signature, but I felt more of everything (Ivan at Sennheiser giving me the demo also complimented that observation - he was VERY cool and professional) - it was as if I was hearing the next evolution of the HD 25-1 IIs - more bottom, mids and highs, but clarity was intact throughout.

 

The HD8 had, for me, a weightier bottom end overall, and I know a great deal of DJs prefer this - but the HD7 sounded like it would do justice to more genres than the 8 while DJing. The HD8's clarity was also top notch, but I thought the heavier low end stood out more, creeping ever so slightly into the lower midrange. I'm sure people will prefer that as it was more club-like. Me, I'm going for the HD7 - as it gave me precisely what I was seeking: An upgrade to my HD 25-1 IIs!!

 

I hope to review them in full ASAP!

So I can dig in a ill deeper.

 

and YES, and BIG ups to Rosmadi Mahmood!!

You're rockin it.

 

Psyched to find this thread fellas!

Down w/ post-CES flu turned pneumonia.

FUN...

 

music and headphones...

 

gettin me through it...

 

Get well soon! It's good to know you're using music and headphones to recharge and energize :)

Anyway, I just spoke to Ivan and we're sure you'll get to review the headphones soon. Really looking forward to your thoughts on them!

post #70 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosmadi Mahmood View Post

Get well soon! It's good to know you're using music and headphones to recharge and energize smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, I just spoke to Ivan and we're sure you'll get to review the headphones soon. Really looking forward to your thoughts on them!

How soon will these be in stores or available from vendors?

Ready to buy.......want you to sell me a pair. Now.
post #71 of 903

I really appreciate the way Sennheiser has made clear the differences between models and their respective frequency weightings + target users.

 

Makes it so much simpler than waiting for a round of reviews to decide which model is the right one for me!

post #72 of 903

Hmm... Really curious on how do these headphones stand up against the Senns Amperior, HD26 and HD25, HD25 Aluminium. Perhaps comparison with the Shure SRH1540, Focal Spirit Pro/Classic would be useful too!

 

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any available in my country yet. Sigh.

post #73 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


How soon will these be in stores or available from vendors?

Ready to buy.......want you to sell me a pair. Now.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post
 

Hmm... Really curious on how do these headphones stand up against the Senns Amperior, HD26 and HD25, HD25 Aluminium. Perhaps comparison with the Shure SRH1540, Focal Spirit Pro/Classic would be useful too!

 

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any available in my country yet. Sigh.

 

They are being shipped right now. You should start seeing them in selected stores from early February. :wink_face: 

post #74 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Supremacy View Post

If not for the sound I'd be willing to get them for pure aesthetics! Look at those blue accents....
cool.gif
I was thinking of replacing the cable with one of those blue Logitech UE ones with the mic/remote. I think it would look sweet.
post #75 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post
 

Hmm... Really curious on how do these headphones stand up against the Senns Amperior, HD26 and HD25, HD25 Aluminium.

 

The HD-26 does not seem to do well or get much interest going by it's thread post count. Noticed that it's earcups are quite a bit deeper compared to the other models. Meh..

The HD6 DJ might be a nice replacement for my Amperior. Introduced as the more neutral, analytical perhaps has my interest. Over the ear is important but could turn out too huge looking for my taste.

 

All three headphones look equal in size. Can anyone confirm that they actually are?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.