or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc. - Page 13

Poll Results: Which one is to your fancy ?

 
  • 13% (33)
    HD6 DJ
  • 12% (29)
    HD7 DJ
  • 59% (143)
    HD8 DJ
  • 14% (35)
    None of them
240 Total Votes  
post #181 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
 

If the HD 6 Mix can play in the same ballpark as the SRH1540, MDR-7520, or Focal Spirit Pro, then yes, they will be a no-brainer for me as I am a bit of a Senn fan. I have only read about the 7520 and Spirit Pro, but I have heard the 1540 and it is excellent.  I wouldn't call the 1540 bass heavy, but I would call it warm and emphasized bass.  I need something for home studio work, like an HD 6 Mix, but I still want something with extra kick in the bass, just not too much, when I need a closed headphone that is just for fun around the house (I have HD-700, which I would also describe as a fun rather than neutral signature, but in a different way..and I am tired of my family telling me to turn it down when I want to really cut loose, so hence my interest in this thread).  I like most of the Denon models I have heard, and I really liked the M-100.. so again, if either the HD 7 or HD 8 are along those lines without getting super bass heavy then they will fill a currently empty role in my headphone stable.  I like the metal components and style of the HD 8 slightly better than HD 7, but if the HD 7 was even slightly less bass heavy than the HD 8 I would go for the 7.  Looking forward to more comments, reviews, etc..


The 6 is supposed to be more neutral of the 3 and if the bass on the 7 is any indication, the 6 should have ample bass as well.

 

The build quality of the 7 is amazing - when I opened the case I thought they sent an 8 - very robust design even tho it's 30g lighter or something like that.  I think durability will not be a concern.  They are tanks.

post #182 of 1099

Damn you guys, I'm getting very interested in these but I don't know, HD7 or HD8... don't tempt me to get both. xD

post #183 of 1099
The 8 makes me wonder what the 7 can bring, basswise speaking. I am pretty content with what I have in the 8. Just a tank. A sexy sounding velour tank of a headphone.
post #184 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 

Damn you guys, I'm getting very interested in these but I don't know, HD7 or HD8... don't tempt me to get both. xD

You're telling me.

 

I have to order my HD8s from the UK, and for whatever reason, they have the HD6 and HD7 in stock, but not the HD8.

 

So tempting....

post #185 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugguy View Post

The 8 makes me wonder what the 7 can bring, basswise speaking. I am pretty content with what I have in the 8. Just a tank. A sexy sounding velour tank of a headphone.


Oregonian found the bass pretty deep on HD7, how is it with 8? Unlike most others, I'm not after extremely deep bass but balanced subbass vs midbass presence. For me "strong bass" isn't enough, I want also that punchy characteristics like for example the HD25-II I demoed in a shop do extremely well despite its not overly huge bass boost and besides it was more midbass skewed, lacking slightly bit quantity wise in the subbass but I was very impressed for its punchiness with drums for example, probably one of the most punchy vs the lowest bass quantity ratio available in those HD25 which is a good thing for DJs (beatmatching, as the beats will pound and therefore stand out better, it's a bit like an "always-on" sidechain on the kick drum feature that many EDM producers use to get a better "pumping"/dynamic beat).


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/5/14 at 7:23am
post #186 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 


Oregonian found the bass pretty deep on HD7, how is it with 8? Unlike most others, I'm not after extremely deep bass but balanced subbass vs midbass presence. For me "strong bass" isn't enough, I want also that punchy characteristics like for example the HD25-II I demoed in a shop do extremely well despite its not overly huge bass boost and besides it was more midbass skewed, lacking slightly bit quantity wise in the subbass but I was very impressed for its punchiness with drums for example, probably one of the most punchy vs the lowest bass quantity ratio available in those HD25 which is a good thing for DJs (beatmatching, as the beats will pound and therefore stand out better, it's a bit like an "always-on" sidechain on the kick drum feature that many EDM producers use to get a better "pumping"/dynamic beat).

You will like the HD8, if not love them RPGWiZaRD. Also from observation of your likes, posts in other various posts, preferences in headphones, this is a must have. It's worth the money. They have many similar positive characteristics of the HD25, while improving on build quality, comfort, and sound. They really do a good job at isolating without clamping so hard. The bass is presented in a way that does not intrude on other frequencies. I think these will please most bassheads...I do like to mix on the bassline, however, I also mix with high-hats, higher frequencies if the next song I'm cueing calls for it. They are more aggressive sounding than laid-back, obviously...this being a DJ headphone. That is what people need to remember...this is first a DJ headphone. It isn't catered toward the average ear, even though anyone can use it for any purpose, as with any headphone. 

post #187 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugguy View Post
 

You will like the HD8, if not love them RPGWiZaRD. Also from observation of your likes, posts in other various posts, preferences in headphones, this is a must have. It's worth the money. They have many similar positive characteristics of the HD25, while improving on build quality, comfort, and sound. They really do a good job at isolating without clamping so hard. The bass is presented in a way that does not intrude on other frequencies. I think these will please most bassheads...I do like to mix on the bassline, however, I also mix with high-hats, higher frequencies if the next song I'm cueing calls for it. They are more aggressive sounding than laid-back, obviously...this being a DJ headphone. That is what people need to remember...this is first a DJ headphone. It isn't catered toward the average ear, even though anyone can use it for any purpose, as with any headphone. 


Do you find the mids & highs well balanced though? That's where I think the differences in HD7 and 8 might be (based on a product presentation somewhere on youtube I think it was). The HD8 was said to be livelier up top with a boosted bass and the HD7 was just said to be focusing on a boosted bass response and the HD6 to be more flat throughout.

What I'm trying to figure out which of the HD7 or 8 has more closer to "^--" shape response, if the HD8 is more V-shape than ^-- shape or if HD7 is closer to that (or if the highs are more veiled than neutral). I love Q40's balance and find it pretty much a "^--" shape (I prefer around 8-10dB peak bass boost that ideally should be centered around 80Hz) why I'm still using it after 2 years+ as I couldn't find an option closer to it, it has measured ~8dB peak bass boost centered around 80Hz and mids and highs pretty much similar level with around 5dB varieties at most except the 9kHz spike present in nearly all headphones. Would love to have an airier sound and better soundstaging though which is pretty much the only factors where I personally feel there's a lot of headrooms to do better, in these Q40, I'm looking for a similar but better sound.

Some basshead headphones and their imperfections for my taste:

M100: too big of a drop from neutral level in the lower mids and slightly too varying in the highs. Not perfect but nearly perfect bass.
Denon Dxxxx series: Slightly too analytical/cold, with slightly bit too withdrawn midrange, I prefer a more "in-your-face" sound which a forward enough midrange brings. Also the bass is too subbass skewed and a bit too linear as opposed to "peak" shaped, bringing more rumble than "punch" for my needs. Also the isolation is far less than ideal.
WS99: Very nicely fitting sound signature for my taste but unfortunately a bit too weak bass
Ultrasone PRO900: Way too much V-shape, the mids far too withdrawn and the highs too boosted but the bass is pretty much perfect.
 


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/5/14 at 8:27am
post #188 of 1099

In what you are actually describing, you may actually like the HD7 vs the HD8. HD8 does have a lively top end. It isn't by much, but it is an advantage as a DJ, when mixing, etc...I haven't tried the HD7 so I cannot brief you on a comparison...but, heard it has the same drivers as the HD8, just in a plastic casing. The HD8 is definitely steps above the Pro900, M100 for me as I have owned them in the past. It's actually the first headphone that has met my expectations. 

post #189 of 1099
How much metal is there on the HD8? Just the rotating hinges, or are the gimbals, cups, and headband metal?
post #190 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by campj View Post

How much metal is there on the HD8? Just the rotating hinges, or are the gimbals, cups, and headband metal?

Pretty much everything except the headband. It is a heavy duty plastic, solid. The adjustable piece of the headband is metal however. (To increase the size of the headphone) Very well built. Just spun a set with these on. Very, very comfy with the velours on, synthetic leathers are also very comfy. I just like the velours a little bit more now. These are hands down the best dj headphone I have ever owned, used. Very, very happy. 

post #191 of 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
 


Do you find the mids & highs well balanced though? That's where I think the differences in HD7 and 8 might be (based on a product presentation somewhere on youtube I think it was). The HD8 was said to be livelier up top with a boosted bass and the HD7 was just said to be focusing on a boosted bass response and the HD6 to be more flat throughout.

What I'm trying to figure out which of the HD7 or 8 has more closer to "^--" shape response, if the HD8 is more V-shape than ^-- shape or if HD7 is closer to that (or if the highs are more veiled than neutral). I love Q40's balance and find it pretty much a "^--" shape (I prefer around 8-10dB peak bass boost that ideally should be centered around 80Hz) why I'm still using it after 2 years+ as I couldn't find an option closer to it, it has measured ~8dB peak bass boost centered around 80Hz and mids and highs pretty much similar level with around 5dB varieties at most except the 9kHz spike present in nearly all headphones. Would love to have an airier sound and better soundstaging though which is pretty much the only factors where I personally feel there's a lot of headrooms to do better, in these Q40, I'm looking for a similar but better sound.

Some basshead headphones and their imperfections for my taste:

M100: too big of a drop from neutral level in the lower mids and slightly too varying in the highs. Not perfect but nearly perfect bass.
Denon Dxxxx series: Slightly too analytical/cold, with slightly bit too withdrawn midrange, I prefer a more "in-your-face" sound which a forward enough midrange brings. Also the bass is too subbass skewed and a bit too linear as opposed to "peak" shaped, bringing more rumble than "punch" for my needs. Also the isolation is far less than ideal.
WS99: Very nicely fitting sound signature for my taste but unfortunately a bit too weak bass
Ultrasone PRO900: Way too much V-shape, the mids far too withdrawn and the highs too boosted but the bass is pretty much perfect.
 


I'll have a lot of time Friday to figure out what the 7 most closely resembles and post up my findings.  Already checking on it this morning the bass seemed more controlled.  And the good thing is I've had or currently have all four headphones you list above to compare to. 

post #192 of 1099
Sennheiser consistently puts out a variety of high quality products, and I'm really not surprised that these are making good impressions so far. I'm confident that they will be the closed headphones I have been searching for. Thanks for all the info everyone has taken the time to add to this thread.
post #193 of 1099
Couple of days in and they continue to impress, took them away for a long train journey today and isolated well from ambient sound and managed about 30-40 mins a time without overheating my ears...I can only keep the Momentum's on for 15-20 mins by me before I start getting fidgety.

post #194 of 1099
How are u guys running the 7,and 8, which source and amp?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #195 of 1099
AK120 and Sennheiser HDVD 800 / MacBook Pro - both with lossless files minimum 16/44 and up to 24/192.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.