or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yulong A28 - Page 7

post #91 of 252

i guess how it compares to Firestone Bobby especially on balanced mode

post #92 of 252

Any update on this guy vs the A18?

 

Grant Fidelity offers the DA8 + A18 combo for the same price as the DA8 + A28.

From what I could gather, the A18 is warm (almost tubey?) and less powerful (1.8W @ 32Ω), while the A28 is more neutral (still slightly warm, right?) and can do up to 2.5W.

 

I'm planning on using either one with future Hifiman HE-560 that is said to be closer to the HE-6 in sound signature, but pretty efficient.

What would be your recommendation on this one?

 

Neither one has a pre-amp output, which is sad because I would also like to have a separate pre-amp for my F5 amp (HE-6); unless the DA8 digital pre-amp is good enough?

 

Thanks 


Edited by Clemmaster - 2/20/14 at 1:56pm
post #93 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

Any update on this guy vs the A18?

 

Grant Fidelity offers the DA8 + A18 combo for the same price as the DA8 + A28.

From what I could gather, the A18 is warm (almost tubey?) and less powerful (1.8W @ 32Ω), while the A28 is more neutral (still slightly warm, right?) and can do up to 2.5W.

 

I'm planning on using either one with future Hifiman HE-560 that is said to be closer to the HE-6 in sound signature, but pretty efficient.

What would be your recommendation on this one?

 

Neither one has a pre-amp output, which is sad because I would also like to have a separate pre-amp for my F5 amp (HE-6); unless the DA8 digital pre-amp is good enough?

 

Thanks 

 

Ok I went all in and got the DA8 + D18 A18 + P18 combo.

 

Now the wait...


Edited by Clemmaster - 2/21/14 at 9:26am
post #94 of 252
I currently have an LCD-2.2 with a balanced cable.Right now it's amped with the A18 with the D18,would it be worth a try to order the A28 as an upgrade to the A18?I know in balanced mode the A28 would have more power and a little more energy in the upper frequencies.It wouldn't really cost to much $ for the move,just undecided if it's worth a try???
post #95 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPhonic View Post
 

i guess how it compares to Firestone Bobby especially on balanced mode

 

 

Working on that for my review. Seems like they are both really nice, it depends on what heaphones they get paired with. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

 

Ok I went all in and got the DA8 + D18 + P18 combo.

 

Now the wait...

 

You'll love it! Using that right now actually, with some sweet DSD128 tracks from Opus 3 records..... yummy. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

I currently have an LCD-2.2 with a balanced cable.Right now it's amped with the A18 with the D18,would it be worth a try to order the A28 as an upgrade to the A18?I know in balanced mode the A28 would have more power and a little more energy in the upper frequencies.It wouldn't really cost to much $ for the move,just undecided if it's worth a try???

 

 

It may be worth it. If you had said LCD-2 (original) I'd say yes, for sure.... you need that extra high frequency focus. LCD-2.2 is more even but still could use some help up there. With the A28 still not being the brightest amp in the world, and D18 being pretty smooth, you still won't have a setup that sounds like a K701 or anything.... but it will be a little more even handed and extended on the top end. Hard to say if this will be worth the hassle or not.

post #96 of 252
Thread Starter 
post #97 of 252
Thanks for posting that link. I'm really interested to hear more impressions of how the A28 compares to the DA8 integrated using the DA8 DAC as source with different headphones. I'm trying to decide if I want to stay at DA8 and Hifiman HE-400 combo or add a A28 with it. I know the A28 would likely scale higher with the more expensive and less sensitive orthos but getting the amp and higher price orthos is beyond my budget any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit View Post

http://www.soundbsessive.com/room/?p=1018
post #98 of 252
No new impressions? I figured there would be a flurry of impressions considering the price point and that it caters to the popular planar magnetic cans.
post #99 of 252

I've been a little busier than usual so I've not has as much time to listen to mine as I normally would. 

 

To repeat earlier impressions - I think this is the amp to get if you want balanced and want to drive lower impedance cans. 

post #100 of 252
I just ordered one. Will try it with the d7000, alpha dogs, and hf2 in a week or so. Looking forward to it.
post #101 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

I've been a little busier than usual so I've not has as much time to listen to mine as I normally would. 

 

To repeat earlier impressions - I think this is the amp to get if you want balanced and want to drive lower impedance cans. 


I think there are probably people that are eagerly awaiting your review to spark more conversation. No pressure :wink: 

post #102 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post

I just ordered one. Will try it with the d7000, alpha dogs, and hf2 in a week or so. Looking forward to it.

 

Followed you over from the D7000 thread :D 

post #103 of 252

Just received my A28.  Out of the box, connected to DA8 XLR output (Wireworld Equinox 6 XLR cable), driving Hifiman HE5-LE, pretty good, but not impressive, slight midrange bump, compared to Violectric V200 that sounds more natural (but smaller sound stage).  But this is A28 out of the box.  Will let it burn-in for a few days, and listen more, and do some comparison with other gears.

 

Is there any jumper in DA8 or A28 to bypass the AC coupling capacitor at the DA8 output or A28 input?  I haven't got time to open them.  I'm thinking to bypass one of it, to improve bass.

Thanks!

 

 

post #104 of 252
Thread Starter 

OT in this thread: Can you describe, in a few words, the differences you find in the Yulong vs. Mytek? Thanks

P.S. You can, if you want, write them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/673033/review-yulong-audio-sabre-da8-reference-dac/1215#post_10325875

post #105 of 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit View Post
 

OT in this thread: Can you describe, in a few words, the differences you find in the Yulong vs. Mytek? Thanks

P.S. You can, if you want, write them here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/673033/review-yulong-audio-sabre-da8-reference-dac/1215#post_10325875

 

I wrote about it sometime ago, here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622248/mytek-stereo-192-dsd-dac-preamp-amplifier-review-appreciation-thread/225#post_10128288

 

I will copy that link in the given thread link as per your request.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)