Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions - Page 9

post #121 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPGsanti View Post

Sorry new around here.

I ordered me a pair the other day. Was debating between the classics or the SE215s, but I went with the classics since everyone speaks highly of them. Head-Fi has not failed me yet, and has got me anxiously waiting for that delivery, which should be today or tomorrow. Feels like Xmas.

Remember to burn them in!

post #122 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusing View Post

Remember to burn them in!

Thank you. I will definitely keep this in mind. I have read the burn in time is about 100hrs for the previous GR07s. Is this true for the classics as well? Does not matter to me considering anything at this point will be a step up from my Bose IEMs, but just curious about that.
post #123 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPGsanti View Post


Thank you. I will definitely keep this in mind. I have read the burn in time is about 100hrs for the previous GR07s. Is this true for the classics as well? Does not matter to me considering anything at this point will be a step up from my Bose IEMs, but just curious about that.

 

As I got mine recently, I'm still burning them in. People say 80-150 hours, usually - I'd stick with 150 to be safe. This seems to apply to all GR07 models.

 

From what I understand, burn-in has far more of an impact on these headphones than others because of the drivers. At first, when you get the headphones, they will sound little better than basic Klipsch S4i's; however, as you burn them in, they will start to sound far better.

 

I just keep them connected to my computer, playing my favorite songs at medium-high 24/7 - you can still use them, just remember to connect them back to your computer / music device to continue burn-in after. 

 

I'm about 40 hours in and I didn't know it was possible for headphones to sound this good! 

post #124 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusing View Post
 

Remember to burn them in!

 

Burn-in is a myth. I didn't notice any difference with my GR07 after 100 hours. It's one of those stubborn pseudo-sciences that has roamed Head-Fi for years. 

post #125 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post
 

 

Burn-in is a myth. I didn't notice any difference with my GR07 after 100 hours. It's one of those stubborn pseudo-sciences that has roamed Head-Fi for years. 

Please, show us your evidence.

 

For now, I'll trust VSonic on this issue, along with the vast majority of others who also hear a difference after burn-in.

post #126 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusing View Post
 

Please, show us your evidence.

 

For now, I'll trust VSonic on this issue, along with the vast majority of others who also hear a difference after burn-in.

 

Evidence apart from my experiences over the years, owning multiple dozens of IEMs, headphones and related audio equipment? Sure. IF you look around, there have been numerous studies regarding this subject. I won't try to convert you though, esoterics have been part of audiophilia for years. I just feel there needs to be an opposition every time someone says "Don't sell them if you don't like them, just burn them in for 300 hours and you will magically like them!" If you don't like them in the first place, you won't like them after 300 hours. And tragically, that will be when you can't exchange them anymore, how convenient for the manufacturer or distributor. ;) "This is my product, please burn them in for 1000 hours. The exchange warranty on my product is 999 hours btw." 

 

Here's some fun reading material: 

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

http://www.tested.com/tech/accessories/459117-science-and-myth-burning-headphones/

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

 

More to be found. :) The general consensus is that the burn-in is mental. You yourself adjust to the sound of your new equipment, not the other way around. But let's put this boring subject to rest before we invoke the wrath of the subjective/objective dillema. ;)


Edited by Negakinu - 3/16/14 at 3:47pm
post #127 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post
 

 

Evidence apart from my experiences over the years, owning multiple dozens of IEMs, headphones and related audio equipment? Sure. IF you look around, there have been numerous studies regarding this subject. I won't try to convert you though, esoterics have been part of audiophilia for years. I just feel there needs to be an opposition every time someone says "Don't sell them if you don't like them, just burn them in for 300 hours and you will magically like them!" 

 

Here's some fun reading material: 

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

http://www.tested.com/tech/accessories/459117-science-and-myth-burning-headphones/

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

 

More to be found. :) The general consensus is that the burn-in is mental. You yourself adjust to the sound of your new equipment, not the other way around. But let's put this boring subject to rest before we invoke the wrath of the subjective/objective dillema. ;)

Hmm. You make good points here, and nice sources.

 

But I thought that the general consensus was that the unique biocellulose drivers in the GR07 require burn-in, and that is why VSonic recommends we burn them in to have an optimal listening experience? Or is it all placebo?

 

I've already started the burn-in process. I mean, it can't hurt, can it? All I've seen reported are positive gains, or at the worst, no gain, placebo or not, so I might as well go ahead and burn them in when I'm not using them for the next week.

 

PS. Sorry if I came off as rash in the previous post.


Edited by tusing - 3/16/14 at 3:44pm
post #128 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusing View Post
 

Hmm. You make good points here, and nice sources.

 

But I thought that the general consensus was that the ujnique biocellulose drivers in the GR07 require burn-in, and that is why VSonic recommends we burn them in to have an optimal listening experience? Or is it all placebo?

 

I've already started the burn-in process. I mean, it can't hurt, can it? All I've seen reported are positive gains, or at the worst, no gain, placebo or not, so I might as well go ahead and burn them in when I'm not using them for the next week.

 

PS. Sorry if I came off as rash in the previous post.

 

No worries. My opinion is just that; an opinion. :) It doesn't matter really if burn-in is real or not. If burn-in increases your listening pleasure, placebo or not, than for all means, burn everything in 'til your heart's content. :) 

 

For the record, burn-in in general does exist. For example in large woofers found in speakers. Due to the size and rigidity of woofers, their characteristics can change a bit over time. Headphone woofers and drivers are just too small to be affected by this though but again, it doesn't really matter as long as you enjoy your gear. :) If you hear actual improvement, good for you! :)

post #129 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post

Burn-in is a myth. I didn't notice any difference with my GR07 after 100 hours. It's one of those stubborn pseudo-sciences that has roamed Head-Fi for years. 

But was there any difference after say 200-300hrs burn-in?
post #130 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusing View Post

 

As I got mine recently, I'm still burning them in. People say 80-150 hours, usually - I'd stick with 150 to be safe. This seems to apply to all GR07 models.

 

Well straight out the box these IEMs are amazing. The bass is very full, and not heavy that it over takes the mids & highs.  The overall sound is clean and crisp, with great isolation as well.  I am about 8hrs in of burn-in, and I have no complaints thus far.  Just need to get used to having the inserts being in my ears again.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post
 

 

Evidence apart from my experiences over the years, owning multiple dozens of IEMs, headphones and related audio equipment? Sure. IF you look around, there have been numerous studies regarding this subject. I won't try to convert you though, esoterics have been part of audiophilia for years. I just feel there needs to be an opposition every time someone says "Don't sell them if you don't like them, just burn them in for 300 hours and you will magically like them!" If you don't like them in the first place, you won't like them after 300 hours. And tragically, that will be when you can't exchange them anymore, how convenient for the manufacturer or distributor. ;) "This is my product, please burn them in for 1000 hours. The exchange warranty on my product is 999 hours btw." 

 

Here's some fun reading material: 

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

http://www.tested.com/tech/accessories/459117-science-and-myth-burning-headphones/

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

 

More to be found. :) The general consensus is that the burn-in is mental. You yourself adjust to the sound of your new equipment, not the other way around. But let's put this boring subject to rest before we invoke the wrath of the subjective/objective dillema. ;)

I do agree with the whole growing accustomed to the sound aspect. As working with electronic equipment for over ten years I know a burn-in effect does occur, but causing a major difference in performance I could not say if true or false. In the end I think it is a bit of both placebo and burn-in.

post #131 of 165

My GR07 Classic just arrived. In terms of my overall impressions, I haven't tried them long enough to say anything valuable about sound yet but the comfort is definitely a huge step up compared to the GR99. I haven't tried swapping the earbuds yet.

 

My biggest concern is that I still experience a background hiss/static with these. It's a lot more significant than the GR99 when there's nothing playing for whatever reason. I'm capable of running other headphones/IEMs without background hiss (of course it's probably reduced to a very low minimum), but I just don't understand how I could possibly have hiss in the first place with these. Does anyone else have background static of any sort with the GR07 Classic? I haven't seen a mention anywhere at all, but it's so significant that I can't imagine why nobody would say anything.

post #132 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems View Post
 

My GR07 Classic just arrived. In terms of my overall impressions, I haven't tried them long enough to say anything valuable about sound yet but the comfort is definitely a huge step up compared to the GR99. I haven't tried swapping the earbuds yet.

 

My biggest concern is that I still experience a background hiss/static with these. It's a lot more significant than the GR99 when there's nothing playing for whatever reason. I'm capable of running other headphones/IEMs without background hiss (of course it's probably reduced to a very low minimum), but I just don't understand how I could possibly have hiss in the first place with these. Does anyone else have background static of any sort with the GR07 Classic? I haven't seen a mention anywhere at all, but it's so significant that I can't imagine why nobody would say anything.


Higher resolving phones are usually more sensitive and revealing so the hiss is "revealed". That is why people upgrade source to one that are higher noise floor and have a quieter, blacker background and also usually ditch lower bit rate files that have artifacts.

post #133 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems View Post
 

My GR07 Classic just arrived. In terms of my overall impressions, I haven't tried them long enough to say anything valuable about sound yet but the comfort is definitely a huge step up compared to the GR99. I haven't tried swapping the earbuds yet.

 

My biggest concern is that I still experience a background hiss/static with these. It's a lot more significant than the GR99 when there's nothing playing for whatever reason. I'm capable of running other headphones/IEMs without background hiss (of course it's probably reduced to a very low minimum), but I just don't understand how I could possibly have hiss in the first place with these. Does anyone else have background static of any sort with the GR07 Classic? I haven't seen a mention anywhere at all, but it's so significant that I can't imagine why nobody would say anything.

Don't blame the GR07, blame the source.

 

If you don't want to change the souce, you can try an IEM that is unable to reproduce high frequencies, or an IEM that has less sensitivity (maybe 100dB is low enough). 

post #134 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
 


Higher resolving phones are usually more sensitive and revealing so the hiss is "revealed". That is why people upgrade source to one that are higher noise floor and have a quieter, blacker background and also usually ditch lower bit rate files that have artifacts.

My biggest problem is that this happens passively whether or not music is playing. It can't possibly be my music files if it's simply a thing that happens when plugging it into the DAC, computer, Gameboy, etc. 

 

Edit: The biggest difference between that is I don't get static with my current set-up passively on many headphones I previously had static on in the past. At the moment, the only IEMs I shortly tested on my set-up that have no set-up are the NuForce NE-700X, some Westone IEM that fits with memory foam tips, and even a lower quality Koss IEM that has a mic. I haven't exactly tried that many IEMs though, but I'm a little sad that I have this static in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives View Post
 

Don't blame the GR07, blame the source.

 

If you don't want to change the souce, you can try an IEM that is unable to reproduce high frequencies, or an IEM that has less sensitivity (maybe 100dB is low enough). 

 

 

What sources are you two using? I imagine you both don't have this hiss. At the moment I'm using a Fiio E17, but I'm also very familiar with how different sources can affect that. For example, when I used a Sennheiser HD280, I could hear this same passive background hiss without using anything but when I plugged it into an Audinst HUD-MX-1, the static was not audible at all and the same thing happened with the E-17. I just want to know if I really do upgrade, how much more of an upgrade do I have to make for the static to "disappear"?


Edited by Gems - 3/17/14 at 2:17pm
post #135 of 165
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems View Post

My biggest problem is that this happens passively whether or not music is playing. It can't possibly be my music files if it's simply a thing that happens when plugging it into the DAC, computer, Gameboy, etc. 

 

Edit: The biggest difference between that is I don't get static with my current set-up passively on many headphones I previously had static on in the past. At the moment, the only IEMs I shortly tested on my set-up that have no set-up are the NuForce NE-700X, some Westone IEM that fits with memory foam tips, and even a lower quality Koss IEM that has a mic. I haven't exactly tried that many IEMs though, but I'm a little sad that I have this static in the first place.

 

 

What sources are you two using? I imagine you both don't have this hiss. At the moment I'm using a Fiio E17, but I'm also very familiar with how different sources can affect that. For example, when I used a Sennheiser HD280, I could hear this same passive background hiss without using anything but when I plugged it into an Audinst HUD-MX-1, the static was not audible at all and the same thing happened with the E-17. I just want to know if I really do upgrade, how much more of an upgrade do I have to make for the static to "disappear"?

 



Does the static disappear when you hold your laptop with your hands? If so, then you have a grounding problem. This sounds more like a soft hum though, not exactely like static.

I use a ODAC/Objective2 rig and experience no hiss with the GR07, using JRiver Media Center/WASAPI and 320kbps files. My Sansa Zip/Headstage Arrow portable rig gave me a hiss-free experience as well. It's quite possible that some people are more sensitive to hiss though. It's hard for other people to comment on your hiss problem without hearing it themselves.
Edited by Negakinu - 3/17/14 at 5:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions