or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Woo Audio W22 upraded package or WA-5LE stock package?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio W22 upraded package or WA-5LE stock package?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I'm in the market to buy an amp for Auduze LCD-X and I don't know which amp to get. Woo Audio W22 with all the upgrade tubes or WA5 LE with no upgrades, just straight out stock. Which one would be better? Let me know thanks.

post #2 of 13
Leesure would know he just got a Wa22 for his LCD-X
post #3 of 13
The WA5 would get my vote, if you have your heart set on Woo. The WA22 is relatively immune to tube rolling, so I would not shell out a lot for upgraded tubes (unless you are OCD and like collecting a lot of tubes in search of the Holy Grail.).

Personally, having owned the WA22 and then gladly moved on, I would go with an ECP L-2 if you can find one used or shell out $5K for the Apex Teton if you can afford it.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

The Apex Teton looks super good. Too bad the highest I can buy is only a Woo WA5-LE range. 

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegrados View Post
 

I'm in the market to buy an amp for Auduze LCD-X and I don't know which amp to get. Woo Audio W22 with all the upgrade tubes or WA5 LE with no upgrades, just straight out stock. Which one would be better? Let me know thanks.

I'd go with the WA5LE if you can. It's the better amp overall and you could upgrade the tubes down the road. 

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimus View Post

The WA5 would get my vote, if you have your heart set on Woo. The WA22 is relatively immune to tube rolling, so I would not shell out a lot for upgraded tubes (unless you are OCD and like collecting a lot of tubes in search of the Holy Grail.).

Personally, having owned the WA22 and then gladly moved on, I would go with an ECP L-2 if you can find one used or shell out $5K for the Apex Teton if you can afford it.

Most untrue statement based on my tube rolling experience so far with WA22.  To the OP, I'll go with WA5LE.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Most untrue statement based on my tube rolling experience so far with WA22.  To the OP, I'll go with WA5LE.

 

 

X2, WA22 is very responsive to tube rolling. Unless you are set on tube, I recommend GS-X MKII or beta22 to drive LCD.  I tried both LCD2.2 with both WA22 and WA5LE but it sounded the best out of my balanced beta22.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

I appreciate all the feedback. I will go with Woo WA5LE. I'll post when I get the WA5LE. Thanks :)

post #9 of 13

I just sold my WA5LE, get a better 300B tubes it makes a big difference compare to stock follow with rectifiers and last drive tubes.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post
 

 

 

X2, WA22 is very responsive to tube rolling. Unless you are set on tube, I recommend GS-X MKII or beta22 to drive LCD.  I tried both LCD2.2 with both WA22 and WA5LE but it sounded the best out of my balanced beta22.

+1 precisely what I meant in response to the poster who said WA22 is relatively immune to tube rolling.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Most untrue statement based on my tube rolling experience so far with WA22.

In comparison to what other amps, exactly? 

 

Yes, you can alter the sound of the WA22 if you roll different tubes in it.  But the changes are subtle in comparison to the effects of rolling tubes in the Eddie Current Super 7, the Singlepower Extreme or the Apex Teton, for example.  The Apex Teton sounds like an ultra-fast, linear solid state amp with a Tung Sol BGRP 6SN7, Chatham 5998, and Sylvania 5AR4.  Replace those tubes with an RCA 6SN7, Bendix 6080, and Mullard 5AR4, and the Teton suddenly sounds like a good SET amp with really nice mid-range bloom.  Do the same with the WA22 and the difference in sound quality is about as significant as changing interconnects from Cardas to Tara Labs, i.e. subtle, not night-and-day.  I put a high value on the ability to customize the sound of an amp to my taste through different tubes -- and in my book, the WA22 pales in comparison to other amps I have owned on that front.  If you don't like the stock WA22, you probably won't ever love it no matter what tubes you use in it.  At least that was my experience, was why I didn't like it very much and ultimately sold it.

 

But, if you are comparing the WA22 to a solid state amp, then I guess the WA22 is a tube rollers dream...only because the WA22 has tubes in it.

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

Since I can't afford a Apex Teton, is this amp good Apex High Fi Audio Peak? 

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegrados View Post

Since I can't afford a Apex Teton, is this amp good Apex High Fi Audio Peak? 

Yes, by all accounts it is a very good amp. Be prepared to buy a few 6SN7s (at least a NOS RCA) to optimize it to your tastes, since it is very responsive to tube rolling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Woo Audio W22 upraded package or WA-5LE stock package?