or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion - Page 216

post #3226 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

Does any HE-400i owner have a spare set of "more open" grills we could make a deal for?

was happy to do the easy open grill mod on my HE-560 when a member had a spare set of "pre-cut" circles that fit in perfectly, to replace the stock grills.

 

my HE-400i arrive this week, and was hoping for the same slight soundstage/air improvement by replacing the 400i grills also.

 

PMs or info appreciated,

:beerchug:

 

If you have like an hour - you can do them yourself.  I just took tinsnips ($10) and this http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Metal-Mesh-Document-Holder-Black/product_618060_2-CA_1_20001 ($10) 

 

I just cut around the pre-existing grills until it fit and it looks like this now. http://imgur.com/a/97TvX#8GxI5Vt

post #3227 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2klepto View Post
 

 

If you have like an hour - you can do them yourself.  I just took tinsnips ($10) and this http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Metal-Mesh-Document-Holder-Black/product_618060_2-CA_1_20001 ($10) 

 

I just cut around the pre-existing grills until it fit and it looks like this now. http://imgur.com/a/97TvX#8GxI5Vt

 

much appreciated, I'll look up that material.

 

is there much risk of the sharp edges of the metal-mesh-circle actually scratching the cups during insertion?

post #3228 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2klepto View Post
 

 

If you have like an hour - you can do them yourself.  I just took tinsnips ($10) and this http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Metal-Mesh-Document-Holder-Black/product_618060_2-CA_1_20001 ($10) 

 

I just cut around the pre-existing grills until it fit and it looks like this now. http://imgur.com/a/97TvX#8GxI5Vt

 

I just ordered an HE-400i this morning. And by the happiest of coincidences, I have two of those exact document holders on my desk now, and I not using them as regularly as I thought I would. I think one of them is going to be sacrificed to the headphone gods !

post #3229 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post

I just ordered an HE-400i this morning. And by the happiest of coincidences, I have two of those exact document holders on my desk now, and I not using them as regularly as I thought I would. I think one of them is going to be sacrificed to the headphone gods !

lol the headphone gods will be pleased with ur offering
post #3230 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

 

much appreciated, I'll look up that material.

 

is there much risk of the sharp edges of the metal-mesh-circle actually scratching the cups during insertion?

 

Not really - once you remove the ring, theres a bit of a recessed inner ring where the grill will sit on.  It has to be thin enough so the ring tabs can still get into the slots (or else itll bulge).  Also you need to make sure the grill is cut where the tab sits, so the actual ring might not be perfectly circle.

 

Kind of like a big cookie with 4 bite marks on the corners ha

 

post #3231 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 


I don't know your budget but have you considered the Audeze LCD2. Has what a lot of people have said are the sweetest midrange they have ever heard and is not the least bit harsh either.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrake50 View Post

I think he said that he wanted to stay around the HE 400i price range, or about $500.

From my listening with the 400i over the last several months, and the description of you ear problem, I do think the 400i would be a good choice. I find it to be pretty neutral sounding and consider it a very smooth sound.
I have both the HD 600 and HD650 (as well as a modded HD580). I think the closest of those to the 400i is the HD 600. But even though I have had the Senns for years, and still listen to them occasionally, since I got them, I have used the 400i much more. They are simply faster and, to me, more natural sounding than any of the Senns. Bass has better definition, though the lack of a mid-bass hump may sound like there is less quantity. Some have complained about a slight peak in the treble, but honestly, I simply do not hear it. I have had zero problems with sibilance.

Just a few things to throw out from my perspective...

 

yeah i know, the lcd 2.2F was on my radar as well. But it's correct that my price range is $500 US retail...

the hd650 here is $640, and considering adorama and amazon deals, i can't help feeling a little rip-off by the price. OTOH, the he-400i is the same at $640 which makes more sense to buy.

 

ive been reading a lot about the two, and the fact that people post speed and decay as he400i strength i think that i would prefer it more to the hd650 since i prefer sound signature that's a little bit north of neutral.

 

However, if you read my posts a page or so back, i've said that i have an inner ear condition that made my ear physically hurt when listening to bright headphones like grado or shure or akg. That's the only reason i'm considering hd650. I think hd600 will suits me better to be honest but, they're not available locally.

 

I think at the moment i'm leaning towards he400i for resale value more. If I ended up getting the he400i and it turns out to be too bright for my ear i can recoup my losses by selling it on head-fi pretty quick.

While there's no way anybody would buy hd650 from me with the price i got it new...

post #3232 of 10288
I will be joining the HE400i 'club' soon, made a deal to land three cans next week, one of which is the HE400i. I did own a HE400i briefly a while back, but returned it to the seller due to what I'd thought were scratches on one cup found out later they were dried glue or something like that. Funny thing is, I'd be getting that very same can at a lower cost offered by the same seller. It's not gonna be my first planar mag can though, already have an LCD2 and an Alpha Dog.
Edited by mikey1964 - 1/26/15 at 3:17pm
post #3233 of 10288

The HD650 and HE400i are both great! I like the HD650's treble better although the HE400i is more extended but isn't harsh. Mid range of the HE400i is more intimate on some tracks and less so on others. The HD650 has a sweeter more liquid and lush mid range while the HE400i has a slightly more grainier mid range in comparison. I'd still describe it as a liquid sound but not HD650 liquid. The HE400i trumps the HD650 in bass! It's not even close when it comes to extension etc. 

 

Vocals just sound so rich and creamy with the HD650 it's hard to pick against it! In direct comparisons the HE400i is a bit brighter and shouty but is only noticeable when compared.

post #3234 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanr1987 View Post

The HD650 and HE400i are both great! I like the HD650's treble better although the HE400i is more extended but isn't harsh. Mid range of the HE400i is more intimate on some tracks and less so on others. The HD650 has a sweeter more liquid and lush mid range while the HE400i has a slightly more grainier mid range in comparison. I'd still describe it as a liquid sound but not HD650 liquid. The HE400i trumps the HD650 in bass! It's not even close when it comes to extension etc. 

Vocals just sound so rich and creamy with the HD650 it's hard to pick against it! In direct comparisons the HE400i is a bit brighter and shouty but is only noticeable when compared.
Fair enough. I have been thinking of getting the HD700 for that reason. I will never part with my 400i though. Have you auditioned the HD700?
post #3235 of 10288

Depending on your source, the HD700 can sound shouty.  Loved it with a tube amp (Schiit Lyr with Amperex tubes) but finally settled on the HD800.  The HD700 is an acquired taste.. nice, tight deep bass, extended highs with a treble peak, great air and imaging.  I had the HE500 at the time and much preferred the HD700 as it was more fun. Picture of the setup is in my default album.  I'd really give it a good audition before you buy.  You'll either love it or hate it. YMMV.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the HD800 and HE400i.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdy View Post


Fair enough. I have been thinking of getting the HD700 for that reason. I will never part with my 400i though. Have you auditioned the HD700?
post #3236 of 10288
Thanks for the input! Im hoping that there will be a mini meet soon in my area as there is a wide array of headphones. My next purchase is some CIEMs I have been wanting some for awhile.
post #3237 of 10288

The grill mod takes the 400i to a whole new level! I've been listening to the 400i grill mod for the past three weeks now and WOW. It's a big upgrade, no negative effects on the bass at all only positives upgrades on the sound stage, imaging and airiness. It sounds like there is more detail too :) 


Edited by Bri-Fi - 1/28/15 at 12:29am
post #3238 of 10288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslinker View Post
 

Any headphones under 500$ that you have heard, or even heard of that come close to these headphones for my uses? as well as i know nothing about amps, dacs, those kinds of things, so hopefully experienced head-fi ers can help with that later on!

 

Philips Fidelio X2.

post #3239 of 10288

Probably a stupid question but is the grill mod irreversible?

post #3240 of 10288

Reversible ....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion