I liked the idea of an upgraded HE-400 signature more than an HE-500 signature tbh.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by nightmancometh, 1/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- Recommending Hifiman HE-400 or Philips X1 Last post on 4/17/14 at 1:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice - The choice between the HE-400 and the HD650 Last post on 4/3/14 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best "Starter" Headphones? - HiFiMan HE-400 / AKG K712 / Sennheiser HD650 / ... Last post on 4/13/14 at 11:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- For Sale: HD600 and HE400 Last post on 3/28/14 at 1:03pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones? Last post on 4/7/14 at 11:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 1971/30/14 at 8:39amQuote:
HE-400 sound with the treble smoothed out and maybe a slight upper mid bump would be fantastic. But anyway Hifiman said they're still tweaking the HE-400i's sound so we'll see.post #153 of 1971/30/14 at 8:54amQuote:
but male voices aren't its strength either so the middle mids too
Edited by grizzlybeast - 1/30/14 at 8:56ampost #154 of 1971/30/14 at 9:04ampost #155 of 1971/30/14 at 9:05ampost #156 of 1971/30/14 at 9:08ampost #157 of 1971/30/14 at 9:56am
I'm planning for these to be my next upgrade when i get the cash.
Pretty excited for the new headband and such, when i tried the HE-400, i just couldn't get them to be all that comfortable.post #158 of 1971/30/14 at 7:33pmQuote:
as long as they maintain the stellar bass of the he-400 while improving the treble, it sounds like a great idea to me!!! though it kinda sucks for budget users looking for a cheap amazing value:price $300 entry hi-fi pair of headphonespost #159 of 1971/31/14 at 6:46am
As someone who never owned an HE-500, the prospect of having a similar hp that is lighter, and less expensive is still very appealing to me. If it ends up being an improved HE-400, I wouldn't shed any tears of regret, either. As long as it's more comfortable it's all good. Comfort has always been an area where HFM missed the mark a bit IMO.post #160 of 1971/31/14 at 8:43amQuote:
As you described it - that is pretty much the HE-500 lol.
But I don't want "lush" and "smooth" sound. I want some aggression. You know like, HE-400 aggression. I assume that they'll follow the HE-500 signature (which has apparently been the benchmark for the company for awhile aside from the HE-6). But they'll need to give it good speed.
Since the HE-400 is being replaced, I assume this is possible. But I'm definitely hanging onto mine, since this sound is possibly going extinct. Its pretty dang close to my personal end-game and the 400i hitting $500 is really just psychologically too much money for me to part with unless I get some sort of windfall in the near future. The 560 will be dream cans but $1,000 is just crazy. I can get a really good 5.1 setup for either price.
With the price of the HE-400s dropping to the $300, I think the resale value of the HE-400s just dropped too. Oiy.
Edited by MrMateoHead - 1/31/14 at 8:44ampost #161 of 1971/31/14 at 9:11ampost #162 of 1971/31/14 at 10:40amFor me the decision will depend on many factors with the most important being air, imaging, bite (which might be just what the HE-6 lacked at times, with the general HFM shared midrange dip) and soundstage roundness (rather than calling it even depth and width), which should be improved with the angled pads.
Those are factors that can possibly make my perfect headphone out of either the 400i or 560.
To a certain degree my two favorite headphones come to mind, the K612 Pros (which has great soundstage, bite and amazing inaging but ultimately lacks the air I seek and the treble could be a hair less strident and smooth) and the. MA900 (with good amount of air, bite and soundstage. The imaging however is not as great as I'd like... And at times makes sounds a bit indistinct. Other drawbacks being the highs with little extension and the comfort is somewhat temperamental).
With the HE-6 still being my ultimate reference headphone, save for maybe a the less bite part (making me turn the volume way up... And so did others ) and the bass, which is great, but distorted with certain gaming elements (any bigger explosions most notably) and had a simewhat uneven punch (due to the roll-off too, I imagine). I still really loved the headphone, save for weight and rarely comfort due to it (headband pressure)
I like a detailed, natural sound with that orthodynamic character.
So I certainly hope either of these fit my bill ( I mean I HAVE TO choose one... So the one closest to my reference)
Certainly eagerly awaiting first in-depth impressions
Edited by conquerator2 - 1/31/14 at 10:53ampost #163 of 1971/31/14 at 12:17pm
^ when you say bite if you mean attack then we both maybe a little too hopeful.
the orthos usually lack in that area and though the bass can be textured, clean sounding, with good resolution, orthos loose out to dynamics in ....well dynamics. That is my only gripe about orthos. Drums and such though clear, lack the punch through the mix and the instruments though transparent don't flex.post #164 of 1971/31/14 at 12:17pmThread Starterpost #165 of 1971/31/14 at 12:19pmQuote:
someone mentioned that the he400i is more like the he400 than the he500 whatever that means.
- Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 32 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 37 seconds ago
- › Seattle Spring Meet @ BottleHeadquarters April 26,2014 38 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 41 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 43 seconds ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 1 minute ago
- › Any alternative for the Sony xb500\700? 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › FS: (PRICE DROP) Schiit Lyr w/ stock tubes and 1960's Tesla ECC88... 3 minutes ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob