I liked the idea of an upgraded HE-400 signature more than an HE-500 signature tbh.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by nightmancometh, 1/9/14
Related Forum Threads
- Recommending Hifiman HE-400 or Philips X1 Last post on Today at 9:12 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice - The choice between the HE-400 and the HD650 Last post on 4/3/14 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best "Starter" Headphones? - HiFiMan HE-400 / AKG K712 / Sennheiser HD650 / ... Last post on 4/13/14 at 11:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- For Sale: HD600 and HE400 Last post on 3/28/14 at 1:03pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Are the V-Modas overrated by people who don't have enough experience with headphones? Last post on 4/7/14 at 11:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 2001/30/14 at 8:39amQuote:
HE-400 sound with the treble smoothed out and maybe a slight upper mid bump would be fantastic. But anyway Hifiman said they're still tweaking the HE-400i's sound so we'll see.post #153 of 2001/30/14 at 8:54amQuote:
but male voices aren't its strength either so the middle mids too
Edited by grizzlybeast - 1/30/14 at 8:56ampost #154 of 2001/30/14 at 9:04ampost #155 of 2001/30/14 at 9:05ampost #156 of 2001/30/14 at 9:08ampost #157 of 2001/30/14 at 9:56am
I'm planning for these to be my next upgrade when i get the cash.
Pretty excited for the new headband and such, when i tried the HE-400, i just couldn't get them to be all that comfortable.post #158 of 2001/30/14 at 7:33pmQuote:
as long as they maintain the stellar bass of the he-400 while improving the treble, it sounds like a great idea to me!!! though it kinda sucks for budget users looking for a cheap amazing value:price $300 entry hi-fi pair of headphonespost #159 of 2001/31/14 at 6:46am
As someone who never owned an HE-500, the prospect of having a similar hp that is lighter, and less expensive is still very appealing to me. If it ends up being an improved HE-400, I wouldn't shed any tears of regret, either. As long as it's more comfortable it's all good. Comfort has always been an area where HFM missed the mark a bit IMO.post #160 of 2001/31/14 at 8:43amQuote:
As you described it - that is pretty much the HE-500 lol.
But I don't want "lush" and "smooth" sound. I want some aggression. You know like, HE-400 aggression. I assume that they'll follow the HE-500 signature (which has apparently been the benchmark for the company for awhile aside from the HE-6). But they'll need to give it good speed.
Since the HE-400 is being replaced, I assume this is possible. But I'm definitely hanging onto mine, since this sound is possibly going extinct. Its pretty dang close to my personal end-game and the 400i hitting $500 is really just psychologically too much money for me to part with unless I get some sort of windfall in the near future. The 560 will be dream cans but $1,000 is just crazy. I can get a really good 5.1 setup for either price.
With the price of the HE-400s dropping to the $300, I think the resale value of the HE-400s just dropped too. Oiy.
Edited by MrMateoHead - 1/31/14 at 8:44ampost #161 of 2001/31/14 at 9:11ampost #162 of 2001/31/14 at 10:40amFor me the decision will depend on many factors with the most important being air, imaging, bite (which might be just what the HE-6 lacked at times, with the general HFM shared midrange dip) and soundstage roundness (rather than calling it even depth and width), which should be improved with the angled pads.
Those are factors that can possibly make my perfect headphone out of either the 400i or 560.
To a certain degree my two favorite headphones come to mind, the K612 Pros (which has great soundstage, bite and amazing inaging but ultimately lacks the air I seek and the treble could be a hair less strident and smooth) and the. MA900 (with good amount of air, bite and soundstage. The imaging however is not as great as I'd like... And at times makes sounds a bit indistinct. Other drawbacks being the highs with little extension and the comfort is somewhat temperamental).
With the HE-6 still being my ultimate reference headphone, save for maybe a the less bite part (making me turn the volume way up... And so did others ) and the bass, which is great, but distorted with certain gaming elements (any bigger explosions most notably) and had a simewhat uneven punch (due to the roll-off too, I imagine). I still really loved the headphone, save for weight and rarely comfort due to it (headband pressure)
I like a detailed, natural sound with that orthodynamic character.
So I certainly hope either of these fit my bill ( I mean I HAVE TO choose one... So the one closest to my reference)
Certainly eagerly awaiting first in-depth impressions
Edited by conquerator2 - 1/31/14 at 10:53ampost #163 of 2001/31/14 at 12:17pm
^ when you say bite if you mean attack then we both maybe a little too hopeful.
the orthos usually lack in that area and though the bass can be textured, clean sounding, with good resolution, orthos loose out to dynamics in ....well dynamics. That is my only gripe about orthos. Drums and such though clear, lack the punch through the mix and the instruments though transparent don't flex.post #164 of 2001/31/14 at 12:17pmThread Starterpost #165 of 2001/31/14 at 12:19pmQuote:
someone mentioned that the he400i is more like the he400 than the he500 whatever that means.
- Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Best Headphones (NOT EARBUDS) For Biking With a Helmet 4 seconds ago
- › Fidelify - Spotify with ASIO and WASAPI support!!! 24 seconds ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Looking for High Resolution Audio - Trance Music / EDM 5 minutes ago
- › Need help choosing the right pair of headphones 7 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude