Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion - Page 77

post #1141 of 2295

Hey guys,

 

Do you think the HE-400i would fare better amped with a Schiit Asgard 2 or a Schiit Valhalla 2? My planned source will be a Modi with a Wyrd.

 

Thanks!

Garraty

post #1142 of 2295
Thread Starter 

Either would be good. I'm actually very surprised at how good the 400i sounds from the Val 2. Usually OTL amps and planar mags don't mix like peanut butter and jelly...but this time they do. 

post #1143 of 2295

Any thoughts as to whether the HE-400i would be a better experience over the HE-500? I listen to quite a bit of rock, hip hop, and electronic music. Currently own the HE-500s, Schiit Magni and Modi.

post #1144 of 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjacked View Post

Any thoughts as to whether the HE-400i would be a better experience over the HE-500? I listen to quite a bit of rock, hip hop, and electronic music. Currently own the HE-500s, Schiit Magni and Modi.

One of the reviewers will prob respond, but some very similar questions have been asked and answered in this thread...try a search or just look back a handful of pages. wink.gif
post #1145 of 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

Do you think the HE-400i would fare better amped with a Schiit Asgard 2 or a Schiit Valhalla 2? My planned source will be a Modi with a Wyrd.

 

Thanks!

Garraty


It comes down to tube or not to tube...I have the Asgard 2 and the HE-400 and 500 sound great, have not tried the HE-400i....someday

post #1146 of 2295

question....when will the HE-400i become available? I've searched everywhere and they are not for sale.

post #1147 of 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

question....when will the HE-400i become available? I've searched everywhere and they are not for sale.

The most recent time frame that was given was, "mid August."

I'm sure we'll get a new update here in the next week or so on what's happening.
post #1148 of 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
 

question....when will the HE-400i become available? I've searched everywhere and they are not for sale.

probably end of august.

 

if you e-mail the people at headroom, SALES@HEADPHONE.COM, they will send you a preorder form. Don't forget HR10 coupon for 10% off, though I am not sure when it expires.

 

http://www.headphone.com/products/hifiman-he-400i

post #1149 of 2295

HFM! It's middle of August. I even gave you a couple buffer days! You better be doing a design change or something of the sort to make the headphones sound even better (like the grill mod), otherwise, RELEASE THE KRAKEN, erm, 400i! Or at least have an update for tomorrow.


Edited by SoAmusing777 - 8/17/14 at 1:00am
post #1150 of 2295
Told y'all not to expect this until September. ALWAYS give companies a bit of extra time. This is why I like the way Schiit does it's releases. They tell no one. They release it when it's ready and BOOM, everyone is happy.

I understand generating hype prior to release, but surprise releases are also hype generating.
post #1151 of 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Told y'all not to expect this until September. ALWAYS give companies a bit of extra time. This is why I like the way Schiit does it's releases. They tell no one. They release it when it's ready and BOOM, everyone is happy.

I understand generating hype prior to release, but surprise releases are also hype generating

I didn't get the memo, lol. I can wait tho. Doesn't bother me. i love Schiit :D Certainly interesting way to release things.

post #1152 of 2295
Thanks all. So I assume sometime in October?
post #1153 of 2295
Nah, September. I'll call it now.
post #1154 of 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Here is what I learned from the process. The first grill took 50 minutes...the second was ten minutes.

First, use the original grill or pattern of the exact diameter to draw the pattern on the new material. A contrasting color/sharpie helps. 

Second, use tin snips to cut away the large areas of material. Just straight cuts...don't try to follow the circular patter very closely. And Always err on the side of leaving extra material rather than trying to cut too close. It's easy to cut away more material later, but pretty tough to put it back on. 

Next I used a grinder to carefully shape the outside of the new grill going slowly and getting a true circle. On the second grill I made a plastic template, same diameter as the stock grill, and held that piece sandwiched with the new grill and used it to put the finishing touches on the new grill with the grinder. Don't forget to take the burr edge off the new grill as it can be very sharp.

Last, I tried a couple different kind of paints. Krylon semi-gloss worked best. It dries quickly and smooth and the color seem to coordinate with the paint on the cups very well. 
Thanks for giving such good directions on how went about doing this mod sir. It is greatly appreciated.
post #1155 of 2295
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post


Thanks for giving such good directions on how went about doing this mod sir. It is greatly appreciated.

 

Welcome sir!! Enjoy. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion