Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread - Page 17

post #241 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Simpson View Post


I'm glad I decided not burn in my IM70's after all then as this has been my experience with other earphone es burnt in; the bass gets tamed by quite a bit. I like the sound how it is on the IM70's so I'm keeping it this way.


After a week of you listening to IM70, it will be burn in anyway :p  You are just delaying inevitable.  The only difference when you do a non-stop burn in playing a pink noise loop or your favorite track at louder volume, you get a quick a/b comparison results.  Versus when you are just listening normally at moderate level, you slowly "cooking" your headphone with your brain getting a burn in adjusting to a new sound which makes it hard later to make a/b comparison by memory.

post #242 of 592
I might be pushing this but do anyone have any experience comparing the sony xbs-H3 vs. The IM 50 and 70 ? Just wondering how dynamic drivers combined would sound like . Cheers .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
post #243 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmike View Post

I might be pushing this but do anyone have any experience comparing the sony xbs-H3 vs. The IM 50 and 70 ? Just wondering how dynamic drivers combined would sound like . Cheers .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I actually just had the IM70 for about 2 weeks .. and just received the H3 2 days ago. I'm a vocals lover and both of these are just amazing for it. I usually like to use this song to compare as it's such a good recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YobX6aQFahU

 

The most significant difference I can hear is the separation or air between the different instruments and her voice. The H3 has very good separation between everything and a wider sound stage. The IM70 doesn't sound congested either but really centres around vocals and they really stand out ... they're very powerful and smooth. Sony's female vocals also stand out nicely, not as much as the IM70 but still sound forward enough but the bass and highs are also there to support it like it's surrounding the singer. 

 

Both iems are very clear sounding and I enjoy both immensely. If I had to choose one I wouldn't know which one. The IM70 is half the price, more comfortable, solid as a rock and I find it doesn't need adjusting or fiddling with. The Sony sound more expansive, more detail, more overall balance ... amazing deep bass and highs but it's huge ... fit is a little awkward but when it's fitted in, it's not too bad but I tend to fiddle with it a bit more to adjust it. 

 

To be honest I'd be very happy with either .. so I will be keeping the IM70 for going out and the sonys for my desk. The sonys just look ridiculous .. I will not be walking out of the house with them. 

 

Not sure if that helped you in any way .. but if you have anything specific you want to compare .. please ask.

update: listened to more songs and I just find there really isn't that much between the IM70 and H3. IMO, go with the IM70 if you love vocals .. they're crazy amazing, very full, clear, thick and powerful and has a really fast and impactful bass kick. IM70 is also much more comfortable. Tonality wise I think they're very similar and that's probably I like them both so much .. just that the H3s sound more airy or a bit wider. I think the IM70 is at least 95% of the H3. If vocals is your thing though .. I think the IM70 has them in spades and it's effortlessly powerful. 


Edited by joey99 - 6/7/14 at 7:03am
post #244 of 592

Hello all,

 

Just ordered IM50 from Japan. The reason I bought these is "mids" part. I've read many positive comments that IM50 is really good at that. My daily headphones is Dunu DN1000, I don't expect IM50 as good as DN1000, but maybe mids on these present close vocals to my ears?

post #245 of 592

Just got my IM50 white yesterday. I was about to buy M50x. But considered for heavy portable usage, I pick an IEM instead of portable around ear eventually. There was no testing , no demo set, hadn't had done any researches on the ATH IM series....

 

IM50 is 1/3 price of m50x. I considered the purchase should be a safe bet without any prior knowledge about its sound quality.  Since I have been using IE8 early 2009, I am hungry for hunting alternative IEM with different sound signature with high quality sound.  

 

Instantly surprise by the sound of IM50 out from the box....beside resolutions is lacking in playback classical or orchestra music, IM50's sound far clearer and energetic than IE8.

 

I also found the bundle tips T500 highly reduced sound quality. Do not recommend to use it. 

So IE8 and IM series ear tips r compatible. Going to try to plug IE8 stock bundles ear tips on IM50 later.


Edited by ZenocideZ - 6/16/14 at 1:41am
post #246 of 592

So, my replacement IM50 arrived about half an hour ago, and these sound better than I remember them. It's probably because the last ones were faulty, but the left driver on these actually works now, and the sound is pretty much as I remember, but having two stereo channels really makes a difference :wink_face:

post #247 of 592

Anyone have both the im50 & im70? From reading they are very similar but are the 70s worth double the price tag of the 50s?

post #248 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibilantz View Post
 

Anyone have both the im50 & im70? From reading they are very similar but are the 70s worth double the price tag of the 50s?


I had them both, but sold both my IM50's. Despite the fact that i did enjoyed the IM50's a lot, i still liked the IM70 signature better. It sounds a lot more polished right out the box, sounds more precise and they're just nicer sounding. But the IM50 isn't bad at all, i'd say it has around 70% the sound of the IM70, so if you're doubting what do you want to buy, i'd say go for the IM50's.

post #249 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 


I had them both, but sold both my IM50's. Despite the fact that i did enjoyed the IM50's a lot, i still liked the IM70 signature better. It sounds a lot more polished right out the box, sounds more precise and they're just nicer sounding. But the IM50 isn't bad at all, i'd say it has around 70% the sound of the IM70, so if you're doubting what do you want to buy, i'd say go for the IM50's.

Ah thanks

I actually managed to get the im03 when it had the massive discount but they didn't honor my purchase so it's been cancelled. I then thought I should just try the im50/70 but after I saw the chart at golden ears for im70 I've just ordered the IM-03s again lol...

 

http://en.goldenears.net/31885

 

Based on a few of their charts, I think I prefer the transparency/coloration to be on the right side of 0.. my ue900s are 0 based on their tests and it definitely seems veiled to me so been trying to find something a bit clearer/brighter and I am hoping the im03s will be the answer.. (also recommended by one of the pro reviewers here previously)

post #250 of 592
Has anyone had problems with channel imbalance on these? I bought a pair on eBay and it seems as though the right channel has much more 10-50hz presence than the left side. I'm going to try to return them, as this variation in bass from one ear to the other is really annoying and sounds awkward.
post #251 of 592
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor5cl View Post
 

So, my replacement IM50 arrived about half an hour ago, and these sound better than I remember them. It's probably because the last ones were faulty, but the left driver on these actually works now, and the sound is pretty much as I remember, but having two stereo channels really makes a difference :wink_face:

 

Was it CDJapan that gave you that replacement?

post #252 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloWatic View Post
 

 

Was it CDJapan that gave you that replacement?

Yup. Why?

post #253 of 592
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor5cl View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloWatic View Post
 

 

Was it CDJapan that gave you that replacement?

Yup. Why?

 

Oh, I'm just curious whether shipping them back the faulty unit was required in order to get the replacement, or is there some other ways?

post #254 of 592
Yeah I had to ship them back but they refunded me in shopper points. They also refunded me the import charges in points too, so if anyone knows of any cheap IEMs you can get from Japan let me know smily_headphones1.gif
post #255 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor5cl View Post

Yeah I had to ship them back but they refunded me in shopper points. They also refunded me the import charges in points too, so if anyone knows of any cheap IEMs you can get from Japan let me know smily_headphones1.gif

I just saw the Philips SHE9710 on CDJapan earlier today. They carry the black, white, red, and blue colors for $37 plus. Dsnuts impressions should be in the discovery thread IIRC.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread