Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 - Page 23

post #331 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

I don't own the Abyss but I own the HE-6 hardwired wit the Zeus cable. I was driving the HE-6 with a Threshold T50 (50 watts/ch Class A @ 8 ohms or about 8 watts/ch @ the 50 ohms of the HE-6) sounding exquisite. Now I am driving them with the MHA100 and to be honest I do not miss the T50 (which is actually for sale right now). I have tried them out of the headphones output with the high output and high impedance setting (that's what the guys from McIntosh recommended) and also out of the speakers tabs. To be honest I could not hear much of a difference. If any maybe out of the speakers tabs they have just a little tiny more body in the sound but it is really difficult to distinguish IMO.

I got the Abyss!

and used it w/ the MHA100 - using it w/ my Cavalli Liquid Gold now.

 

I personally didn't like the pairing of the Abyss and the MHA100 - 

the Abyss, to me, have incredible bass response, its controlled and powerfully dynamic.

But there isn't much sparkly in the midrange, where most music lives!

The highs are nice too - 

 

but I guess that also comes down to taste.

IT didn't come off as soulful to me as the Audezes or HD800 did...

 

I loved my Audeze LCD-2 w/ Fazor on the MHA100

LCD-3 w/ Fazor, LCD-XC, and my Senn HD800s!

 

Dug it with my Audio Technica 900X as well

post #332 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

I got the Abyss!

and used it w/ the MHA100 - using it w/ my Cavalli Liquid Gold now.

 

I personally didn't like the pairing of the Abyss and the MHA100 - 

the Abyss, to me, have incredible bass response, its controlled and powerfully dynamic.

But there isn't much sparkly in the midrange, where most music lives!

The highs are nice too - 

 

but I guess that also comes down to taste.

IT didn't come off as soulful to me as the Audezes or HD800 did...

 

I loved my Audeze LCD-2 w/ Fazor on the MHA100

LCD-3 w/ Fazor, LCD-XC, and my Senn HD800s!

 

Dug it with my Audio Technica 900X as well

 

Don't own any of the Audeze headphones but I totally agree with you regarding the HD800. IMO the HD800 sound the best out of the MHA100 compared to any other amps I have heard them with.

post #333 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

Don't own any of the Audeze headphones but I totally agree with you regarding the HD800. IMO the HD800 sound the best out of the MHA100 compared to any other amps I have heard them with.

 

I recently picked up a MC2205 amp and C35 preamp and paired with my Chord Hugo, it's been fun and rewarding to hear how good this decades old gear performs with modern headphones.

 

My HD800 sounds really good out of the MC2205.  I originally bought the Hugo for its analog qualities and liquid midrange, and the HD800 directly out of the Hugo was slightly underpowered, but the SQ is fantastic.  

 

When paired with a variety of other headphone amps, I found them to color Hugo's sound, dull it a bit, and haven't yet found the ideal amp to pair with the Hugo.  The Aurelic Taurus MkII and GSX MkII were two that I found / heard that "least-screwed-up" Hugo's sound.

 

The MC2205 in conjunction with the C35 retains the Hugo's musicality, but "tubes" it a bit.  The Hugo on its own is amazing for conveying "real sounding" music, very clear, tons of resolution.  The Mac gear warms up the sound, perhaps even de-rez's a tiny tiny bit, but puts forth beneficial smooth musicality, and doesn't dull or flatten the sound.

 

To get back on thread topic, I heard the MHA100 at THE Show this past May, and was amazed at its punch and to hear the "Mac" sound coming from a headphone amp.  That's what made me pursue vintage Mac gear these past few months, and it's a fun finding to hear similar SQ characteristics spanning decades of Mac HW.

 

Compared to my setup, the MHA100 was a little tighter, brighter, the mids were a tad bit more forward, but there was no mistaking the house sound.  I'd love to get the MHA100 but $4,500 is a hard pill to swallow.

 

Lastly, fwiw, the Audeze X sounded good, but not as stellar as the Mac pairing with the HD800.  There's some real synergy there with Mac and Senn.  The Senn HD800 was always super clear, incredible imaging.  The Mac gear gave it bigger balls, fuller mids and bass, without sacrificing clarity.   

post #334 of 463

Does this amp has fixed level line RCA out?

post #335 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartez75 View Post
 

Does this amp has fixed level line RCA out?


It does not.  It has a preamp out that is only active when "speakers" are selected as the output. 

post #336 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

 

How can you establish a price for it when you have not listen to one or even seen one in person?

There are several amplifiers (and I have owned some of them) with a higher price of your suggested price that are not even close to the build quality and sound of the McIntosh.

 

While I agree that we are all entitled to our opinions at least let's base them in some hands on experience with the units in question.

 

The cost of something is the first thing that a person notices when researching or buying a product. That's how.

 

If Mcintosh wants to somehow get more customers into their brand, they should have priced this for less than $4500 MSRP. See, I am a normal consumer, someone who does not have money to piss away on audio gear just because they can. Not to mention, I live in Canada, so this will no doubt be marked up higher than that. So any "good deals" on this would not be so great over here. Must be nice.

 

If this comes across as arrogant, I apologize. But my first point still stands.


Edited by iAmCodeMonkey - 7/17/14 at 12:42pm
post #337 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmCodeMonkey View Post

The cost of something is the first thing that a person notices when researching or buying a product. That's how.

If Mcintosh wants to somehow get more customers into their brand, they should have priced this for less than $4500 MSRP. See, I am a normal consumer, someone who does not have money to piss away on audio gear just because they can. Not to mention, I live in Canada, so this will no doubt be marked up higher than that. So any "good deals" on this would not be so great over here. Must be nice.

If this comes across as arrogant, I apologize. But my first point still stands.
You are missing the point. You are establishing your opinio of the price without seeing or trying the unit so it is only an opinion not based in any facts.
I am sure we can discuss this a lot more but I am sure it can get ugly based on your response so I am dropping it right now and wishing you the best in your audio travels.
post #338 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

You are missing the point. You are establishing your opinion of the price without seeing or trying the unit so it is only an opinion not based in any facts.
I am sure we can discuss this a lot more but I am sure it can get ugly based on your response so I am dropping it right now and wishing you the best in your audio travels.

 

Fair enough. It is clear that we see things differently, so lets not debate the issue here anymore. :)


Edited by iAmCodeMonkey - 7/17/14 at 7:46pm
post #339 of 463

still no review posted on Audio360°...  this is cruel to let us wait so long ;)

post #340 of 463

I just had a quick look at the owner's manual: can I or can it not use the headphone out and preamp out at the same time.

 

The manual says that "Loudspeaker Listening" is turned off as soon as a headphone is plugged in. Does this mean the speaker connectors being turned off or the preamp as well?

post #341 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45 View Post
 

I just had a quick look at the owner's manual: can I or can it not use the headphone out and preamp out at the same time.

 

The manual says that "Loudspeaker Listening" is turned off as soon as a headphone is plugged in. Does this mean the speaker connectors being turned off or the preamp as well?

 

I don't believe it can.  I had emailed Mcintosh about this and they said the preamp was only active when speakers were selected as the output.  So the headphone out would not be engaged.

post #342 of 463

That's what I thought. Thanks.

 

No headphones and speakers at the same time.

post #343 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

still no review posted on Audio360°...  this is cruel to let us wait so long wink.gif
It's up. With the conclusion "Buy it, buy it now". Good thing I just did smily_headphones1.gif Unfortunately I will only will be able to listen for an hour before going away for awhile. Initial thoughts are very favourable though.
post #344 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by snejk View Post


It's up. With the conclusion "Buy it, buy it now". Good thing I just did smily_headphones1.gif Unfortunately I will only will be able to listen for an hour before going away for awhile. Initial thoughts are very favourable though.

HEY guys!

 

So sorry for the delay!

We've had a bunch of event planning going on and CRAZED in our 9-5s!

 

Review published this morning!

 

Seriously hope you dig it.

We had a BLAST writing it - exploring its musicality and functionality - and @warrenpchi did a fantastic job of sexin' it up.

 

HERE'S THE LINK FOR YA!!!!

 

post #345 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45 View Post
 

That's what I thought. Thanks.

 

No headphones and speakers at the same time.

I didn't try this - but yes I can ping Mark at McIntosh for ya and ask if you haven't received an answer already!!

Looks like you did??

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

still no review posted on Audio360°...  this is cruel to let us wait so long ;)

SO sorry brother

I sincerely hope you dig the read - lots of event planning and other stuff collided (heading out on a red-eye to D.C. & CanMania at the Capital Audio Fest tonight)!!!!


Edited by mikemercer - 7/23/14 at 9:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100