or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch - Page 58

post #856 of 3090

Admittedly, we are biased and quite excited about He-400i and HE-560 so I am trying to not overhype the new models.

 

All I can say factually is that they are much lighter and more comfortable and the response we had to them at CES was extremely positive.

 

In the end, our friends here on Head-Fi, along with the market at large, will be the final judges. 

 

Peter

Reply
post #857 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman-us View Post

 

In the end, our friends here on Head-Fi, along with the market at large, will be the final judges. 

Yup. You guys better bring it!

 

We eagerly await...

post #858 of 3090

58 pages and counting of pure frothing at the mouth.

post #859 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambosenior View Post

Read it all. The thread is like staring at fish going back and forth in a fish tank.

 

Simile of the day.   Good job, Sir.  


Edited by Jodet - 1/20/14 at 12:23pm
post #860 of 3090

It does sound that the HE560 maybe will be  like the HE-6 which I like very much but not with the other models.  The main issue with the single side drivers is dynamic compression that I heard with planner loudspeakers. With just one side producing the driving force the magnet force is inversely proportional to the distance from the diaphragm.  I would have to hear how well this is going to work.

post #861 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post
 

It does sound that the HE560 maybe will be  like the HE-6 which I like very much but not with the other models.  The main issue with the single side drivers is dynamic compression that I heard with planner loudspeakers. With just one side producing the driving force the magnet force is inversely proportional to the distance from the diaphragm.  I would have to hear how well this is going to work.

could you explain this more? i am really interested in the technical limitations or advantages of single-sided vs double-sided maggies :)

post #862 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

could you explain this more? i am really interested in the technical limitations or advantages of single-sided vs double-sided maggies :)

 

I saw this post in the HE-400i thread

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

They both have tradeoffs.  In theory, double sided offers a true isodynamic field with better diaphragm control and less distortion, while single-ended offers less weight for better comfort and less resonance for a more spacious perceived sound, but has less diaphragm control.

post #863 of 3090

As the diaphragm travels further from the magnet array, the magnetic field strength will decrease. That'll not happen with double sided planars. With double sided, that field strength will be more even.

post #864 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

As the diaphragm travels further from the magnet array, the magnetic field strength will decrease. That'll not happen with double sided planars. With double sided, that field strength will be more even.

 

But the sound wave will have to go through another magnet.

 

Honestly, the HE-4 is a superb headphone, and a bargain at its price point (like the HE-500).

 

I feel like the HE-560 will be a "super HE-5LE".

The HE-400i having some similarities with the 500s is great news!

post #865 of 3090

In severe cases dynamic compression will act somewhat like a loudness function. Some transit music like small drums or piano, the transits may be a bit dull. It all depends how well HiFiman can minimize  the tradeoffs and maximize the advantages. 

post #866 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

 

But the sound wave will have to go through another magnet.

 

Honestly, the HE-4 is a superb headphone, and a bargain at its price point (like the HE-500).

 

I feel like the HE-560 will be a "super HE-5LE".

The HE-400i having some similarities with the 500s is great news!


The HE4 to me can be a bargain end-game for many head-fiers like myself. With some easy to do mods, it's transformed into an extremely tough to beat headphone (for the price). And the excuse that they need gobs of power really isn't something that should get you to shy away with good choices in the $200-$350 for an amp. That is of course if portability is your objective then it's not for you.

I'm wondering if the HE4 will be phased out first or the HE400/500. It would seem it'd be the former  which is too bad because it really is much more of a bargain than the HE400 IMO.


Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 1/20/14 at 4:53pm
post #867 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

As the diaphragm travels further from the magnet array, the magnetic field strength will decrease. That'll not happen with double sided planars. With double sided, that field strength will be more even.

Do you know if the HE-560 will feature double sided planars?

 

Did a google search. Seems like they are single sided. How will the HE-560 sound better than the HE-6 since it's technically inferior?


Edited by DADDYDC650 - 1/20/14 at 3:47pm
post #868 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post
 

Do you know if the HE-560 will feature double sided planars?

 

Did a google search. Seems like they are single sided. How will the HE-560 sound better than the HE-6 since it's technically inferior?

 

Tuning...  Although a doubled-sided setup can be mechanically stronger, it's not impossible to tune a single-sided one to meet the levels, no easy task, more like a painful one XD  Also, there is no confirmation that the 560 will be better than the 6...  This is all speculation right now. 

post #869 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman-us View Post

Admittedly, we are biased and quite excited about He-400i and HE-560 so I am trying to not overhype the new models.

All I can say factually is that they are much lighter and more comfortable and the response we had to them at CES was extremely positive.

In the end, our friends here on Head-Fi, along with the market at large, will be the final judges. 

Peter

Hi Peter, sorry for being off topic, but is there any ballpark on far away the new electrostat is? 1 year, 2 years, less (hopefully)? Also, do you know if there are plans to make it compatible with STAX amps? I know I should be asking about the new planars (which I'm also quite interested in), but the prospect of a new stat is extremely exciting to me smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by mangler - 1/20/14 at 4:52pm
post #870 of 3090

Thanks for the question. The new ES will definitely come well after the HE-400i and HE-560. Perhaps later this year but it is more important to make sure it is perfect so that will determine exactly when it is launched. 

 

Not sure about compatibility with Stax amps. Will see what I can find out.

 

Btw, I have seen a few Head-Fers calling it "Jade II". That is a name someone made up, not one we are using at HiFiMAN. This ES phone will be nothing like the original Jade. 

 

Peter

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch