or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch - Page 162

post #2416 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

I don't see where there's any flaw with running your source at 100% but if you run it lower you can lose bits depending on your sources capability

 

A lot of sources don't run the cleanest signal at 100%. 

post #2417 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast View Post
 

Even though I feel people wine too much. I feel embarrassed of myself by reading back on other peoples posts and realizing how much better it is to have it lighter. I was kinda joking. But its true lighter over all is better.

 

Better in terms of comfort? Sure. Marginally, imo, albeit. Better in terms of SQ? Let's not forget that more magnet = more efficiency, or the driven film can be thinner/lighter (more responsive). More magnet also means heavier, however. HFM's switch to a one-sided configuration is probably mostly what allows their new cans to be significant lighter, while maintaining similar sensitivity levels to what is current.

 

You can't have it all.

post #2418 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigon_ridge View Post
 

Better in terms of comfort? Sure. Marginally, imo, albeit. Better in terms of SQ? Let's not forget that more magnet = more efficiency, or the driven film can be thinner/lighter (more responsive). More magnet also means heavier, however. HFM's switch to a one-sided configuration is probably mostly what allows their new cans to be significant lighter, while maintaining similar sensitivity levels to what is current.

 

You can't have it all.

My opinion is yours there

 

but lets hope they know something you don't because they are aiming at not just making them a little less sensitive than their predecessors. 

post #2419 of 3090

In fact, the new ones are even more sensitive according to the specs. I can only guess that it is due to the transducer film being placed closer to the magnetic field. Whether there are drawbacks to this one-sided design remains to be seen. Since HFM is confident enough about their new products to discontinue their HE-x00 line, I don't really worry much about it, though.

post #2420 of 3090

Anybody know the details on pricing ?

post #2421 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbass View Post
 

Anybody know the details on pricing ?

Assuming nothing has changed..."Launching in March, the HE-400i will retail at $499, and the HE-560 will be on shelves at $899."

post #2422 of 3090
Edit; beat me to it ^

He560, mid to late March ship dates with price at $899 IIRC.

He-400i I believe is April or May $499
post #2423 of 3090

Its very interesting that companies like Hifiman keep updating their catalog of products.

I thought this market was a rather niche product so I expected them to have to run with the previous models for a while till the reinvestment was possible in R&D.

post #2424 of 3090

Hifiman certainly refresh their products much more often than companies like Sennheiser. Some companies will want you  to  have their very best even when they haven't let the cow run dry on their current crop. 

 

I for one appreciate and applaud the effort. Companies like Mr. Speakers do the same. It seems whenever Dan makes a new discovery he incorporates the change into the design very quickly. 

post #2425 of 3090
Innovative products are indeed very good for us. I likewise think Hifiman deserves praise for bringing us so much in their so far relatively short show in the HiFi industry.
It is definitely easier to spend money for such a product where I feel the price is more justified rather than products that look very similar.
More so when the price is the same wink.gif
Innovation does excite...
Here is for no QC issues popcorn.gif
Edited by conquerator2 - 3/12/14 at 5:20am
post #2426 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Hifiman certainly refresh their products much more often than companies like Sennheiser. Some companies will want you  to  have their very best even when they haven't let the cow run dry on their current crop. 

 

I for one appreciate and applaud the effort. Companies like Mr. Speakers do the same. It seems whenever Dan makes a new discovery he incorporates the change into the design very quickly. 

The trends seems to be that smaller companies are more able to come up with new flagships, or versions of their current models, much more frequently than larger companies; at least in the case of the audiophile headphone industry.


Edited by tigon_ridge - 3/12/14 at 5:25am
post #2427 of 3090

Well, I for one applaud the good Doctor at hifiman for what they've accomplished so far. Here's hoping for two homeruns...

 

:beerchug:

post #2428 of 3090
I like MrSpeaker's approach in that you can update your current model to whatever he cooks up next for a fee. It will probably stop at some point, but for now, those with earlier models can update to the full blown Alpha Dog...

Cuts down on buyer's remorse, and doesn't make your headphone obsolete or easily replaced. I wish more companies did this. Like Audeze upgrading older LCD2s to the newer ones for a small fee, instead of having to buy a whole new headphone.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/12/14 at 6:10am
post #2429 of 3090
I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on that lcd-xc when I see this thread smily_headphones1.gif

Looking for efficiency and these newer cans seem to fit
Edited by Maxx134 - 3/12/14 at 6:50am
post #2430 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I like MrSpeaker's approach in that you can update your current model to whatever he cooks up next for a fee. It will probably stop at some point, but for now, those with earlier models can update to the full blown Alpha Dog...

Cuts down on buyer's remorse, and doesn't make your headphone obsolete or easily replaced. I wish more companies did this. Like Audeze upgrading older LCD2s to the newer ones for a small fee, instead of having to buy a whole new headphone.

MrSpeakers is in a rather unique spot though, where the vast majority of his customers know and appreciate his work as having a strong basis on modding, and the accompanying modularity of it all. I doubt Audeze customers would share the same positive outlook if Audeze suddenly announced DLCs for existing cans.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch