or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch - Page 160

post #2386 of 3090

The bottom line is that even though I haven't tried the new HFM offerings, it seems that they've got it right with regard to weight and comfort. Each person that has got to try them comments immediately on how comfortable they are. So as someone who struggles with heavier hp's, I'm very much looking forward to these. 

post #2387 of 3090
Can someone explain why suspension headbands improve comfort? I think I've got an idea but not 100%.
post #2388 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

Can someone explain why suspension headbands improve comfort? I think I've got an idea but not 100%.

 

Two reasons, the first deals with the flexibility of the headband.  Suspended ones usually have some sort of flexibility to them that allows the weight to be distributed a lot more evenly.  The second reason is that some suspension designs utilize springs which also take a bit of slack off of the head.  Even if they don't, the slack is moved to two points (where the suspension band meets the headband) instead of one.  Either way, it's going to displace the weight a lot more evenly.  I may be off on some of this. 

post #2389 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

I find it unfair that "it's tolerable / not really a problem" is an argument for something not worthy of being improved. Headphone weight can always be lighter for the sake of improved comfort / disappears-on-the-head feel.

 

For instance, I can wear my HE500s for 12 hours straight if I want to, with just minor neck fatigue after; doesn't mean I won't welcome something with the same sound quality but half the weight more.

I agree with you. I am just being myself thats all. To be honest I am of the minority that likes the heavy feel of headphones. 

 

I cant explain why I just do. It could be the same reason why I feel holding a heavy drill feels better than a light one. Those reasons shouldnt apply to headphones but hey I cant help it.

 

I do find though that honestly my ideal comfort and fit would be the hd650 with memory foam pads.

 

I contradict myself quite often in preference. While I love the hd650 fit... Every time I put the he500 on I felt like I was wearing the best headphone ever made. Just like it was built to perform. After buying the lcd2 and holding it I felt underwhelmed by its build. More feelings than any logical reasoning.

 

Maybe I just love headphones in all shapes and sized and I appreciate their differences. I guess from the perspective of someone really hoping for their ideal hp to be made , these things that I say "man up" over will stick out like a sore thumb to them. 

 

Overall when I see comments like "oh they sound great but the comfort is gawdawful" I think "really":rolleyes:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

The bottom line is that even though I haven't tried the new HFM offerings, it seems that they've got it right with regard to weight and comfort. Each person that has got to try them comments immediately on how comfortable they are. So as someone who struggles with heavier hp's, I'm very much looking forward to these. 

I agree as well. The part of me that likes heavy feel of  headphones will lose to the part that likes the hd650 comfort.

post #2390 of 3090

People generally don't have perfectly round heads so a normal headband would end up resting on the part of the head that protrudes the most, putting a lot of pressure at that point. A suspension headband conforms to the shape of the head, therefore distributing the weight of the headphone much more evenly.

post #2391 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

The bottom line is that even though I haven't tried the new HFM offerings, it seems that they've got it right with regard to weight and comfort. Each person that has got to try them comments immediately on how comfortable they are. So as someone who struggles with heavier hp's, I'm very much looking forward to these. 

 

I still think the suspended headband should do quite a bit of it.  I'm hoping to get a pair of these (keyword here is hoping), so I'll be able to talk about the comfort (if I do).  Keep in mind that heavy 'phones don't bother me unless the pressure isn't dispersed properly (and I don't have HiFiMan's older offerings to compare to XD). 


Edited by tinyman392 - 3/11/14 at 12:59pm
post #2392 of 3090

Well hopefully I can get the test sample HE560 soon, then I can compare its headband comfort against HE400 (no comfort mods) and HE500 (with beyer strap, another suspension strap by GREQ).

post #2393 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Well hopefully I can get the test sample HE560 soon, then I can compare its headband comfort against HE400 (no comfort mods) and HE500 (with beyer strap, another suspension strap by GREQ).

Are they on their way or they haven't even shipped yet?

It's almost mid March... If HiFiMAN is still targeting the late March release, I imagine they should be shipping the samples by now...

Hopefully :D

 

Anyway, :popcorn:

post #2394 of 3090
When will the stories of sodium poisoning start to roll in..? Ohh, the wait..
post #2395 of 3090

I have been wishing for a lighter weight planar headphone.....here's hoping these live up to the hype.

post #2396 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Well hopefully I can get the test sample HE560 soon, then I can compare its headband comfort against HE400 (no comfort mods) and HE500 (with beyer strap, another suspension strap by GREQ).



Can we rely on you for more pics? Maybe even a video?

post #2397 of 3090

Was there ever a confirmation on a pre-order date or discount?

post #2398 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Was there ever a confirmation on a pre-order date or discount?

Certainly no discount confirmed... I imagine they won't be any though...
As for pre-order, I believe mid-March was referenced as the time when pre-orders would begin.
post #2399 of 3090

As someone that never had a serious issue with the comfort of the HE-500. I don't mind improving the comfort via weight reduction and better headband pressure distribution, in fact I would prefer it and applaud Fang for continuing to improve and innovate. If the HE-400i can offer the same sound quality as the HE-500 at 360 grams and $499, that would be totally freakin awesome and probably be the greatest headphone produced ever for under $500.

 

Audez'e going into 600 gram territory is just too funny. I can probably handle it but I won't know until I try. I hope the LCD-4 isn't 750 grams.

post #2400 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

As someone that never had a serious issue with the comfort of the HE-500. I don't mind improving the comfort via weight reduction and better headband pressure distribution, in fact I would prefer it and applaud Fang for continuing to improve and innovate. If the HE-400i can offer the same sound quality as the HE-500 at 360 grams and $499, that would be totally freakin awesome and probably be the greatest headphone produced ever for under $500.

 

Audez'e going into 600 gram territory is just too funny. I can probably handle it but I won't know until I try. I hope the LCD-4 isn't 750 grams.

 

:veryevil:...this is what I'm hoping. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch