Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch - Page 127

post #1891 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post
 

I know these headphones haven't been released yet, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good desktop amp that might pair well and drive the HE-560 easily, preferably in the $200-500 range? Of course this would all just be conjecture but I thought I'd ask since news on the HE-560/400i has been slow as of late and I wanted to start searching for possible amps I could buy for it in the future. I currently just have an E12 that I thought would hold me over until I get a proper desktop amp.

 

Project Ember and Garage 1217s upcoming solid state would probably be great contenders at that price. Schiit seems to have great choices as well. So many choices considering the new line-up are marketed to be efficient. I would still lean towards 1000mW however, just because Orthos and ample headroom are a good thing to have.

post #1892 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post
 

I know these headphones haven't been released yet, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good desktop amp that might pair well and drive the HE-560 easily, preferably in the $200-500 range? Of course this would all just be conjecture but I thought I'd ask since news on the HE-560/400i has been slow as of late and I wanted to start searching for possible amps I could buy for it in the future. I currently just have an E12 that I thought would hold me over until I get a proper desktop amp.

 

I imagine the Schiit Lyr will drive them very well.  I saw that RazorDog has an open-box deal on the HE-6s, so I got curious if the Lyr could do all right with them, given how difficult they are to drive.  A quick googlin' revealed a few reviews wherein the HE-6s are tested with the Lyr.  The reviewers definitely liked the Lyr + HE-6 combo, saying that while it's not the best amp for them, at $1500+ cheaper than the next best alternative, it holds its own.

 

I only mention that to show what the Lyr can do with planar magnetics.  And one need not spend a small fortune on tubes to make it all sound good.  I can see the HE-6s or HE-560s (or something beyond those) in my (probably) distant future.

 

That said, no doubt the Asgard 2 will drive the new HFMs fine, if you prefer solid state.  Time will tell.

 

I'll enjoy my HE-500s quite happily until then.

post #1893 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post

I still think the Emotiva will work well with the new lineup. But who knows, it might be too much power at that point--however you can still add resistors so who cares.
I hope our minis still work with both new cans cool.gif
post #1894 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcazbarach View Post

I just can't wait for the reviews/impressions to come in.

I'd thought for a long time the LCD2 was going to be my next headphone, but if the he 560 can at least "compete" with the lcd2, I may go with the more comfortable 560.
HE-500 already competes with the LCD-2, and exceeds IMHO.
post #1895 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc View Post

HE-500 already competes with the LCD-2, and exceeds IMHO.
Agreed
post #1896 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewewho77 View Post

Agreed

The price/performance on the 500 is also excellent. Used and even mint condition 500's can be picked up for less than <$600 and even brand new are $600. I haven't really seen any LCD-2 sell for that price point regardless whether it is a revision 1 or 2.

In the thread Battle of the Flagships the He-500 was one of the few headphones rated A+ in addition to a few others.
post #1897 of 3057

^^ Price performance for the the he500 is off the charts good. I believe that the he500 started at $900. 

post #1898 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Price performance for the the he500 is off the charts good. I believe that the he500 started at $900. 

Indeed it did start off at that price. I believe that was in mid or late 2011 and then eventually in 2012/2013 the price dropped to $699 and only recently was discounted to $599.
post #1899 of 3057

At that price it's one of if not the best buy in the game. The only other hp that I'd put against it at this price point would be the Alpha Dog. 

post #1900 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc View Post

HE-500 already competes with the LCD-2, and exceeds IMHO.
Yep
post #1901 of 3057

I wonder who HFM will send HE400i's to for early reviews; those could be the new giant-killers / king-slayers / etc, if they manage to be on par with HE500 in sound, yet are $100~200 cheaper and much more ergonomic.

post #1902 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

I wonder who HFM will send HE400i's to for early reviews; those could be the new giant-killers / king-slayers / etc, if they manage to be on par with HE500 in sound, yet are $100~200 cheaper and much more ergonomic.

 

I volunteer.

post #1903 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

I wonder who HFM will send HE400i's to for early reviews; those could be the new giant-killers / king-slayers / etc, if they manage to be on par with HE500 in sound, yet are $100~200 cheaper and much more ergonomic.

Any idea when you'll be receiving your 560 review sample, jerg?

post #1904 of 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

 

I volunteer.

It's ok, I'll do it :veryevil: 

I mean, I'd gladly do it, should I get the opportunity :D


Edited by conquerator2 - 2/19/14 at 9:56am
post #1905 of 3057

For HFM to discontinue the HE-400 and HE-500, Dr. Fang must have high confidence that his new creations will eclipse them in terms of performance. I personally love my EQ'd HE-400 through the Asgard 2, but I don't like it nearly as much without EQ. Too much treble, mainly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch