or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch - Page 13

post #181 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post
 

Forgive me to ask this here but is the HE-400 design single ended too? Are there any theoretical drawbacks in SQ from using single ended magnets?

 

Yes, sensitivity. Take the HE-4: it is less sensitive than the 5LE, which is the dual magnet version.

 

It seems they found a solution for that anyway (stronger magnets?) since the sensitivity is pretty high (for a planar).

post #182 of 3090

Wow, look better than I thought when worn, then again most girls looks good with headphones.

post #183 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post
 

Forgive me to ask this here but is the HE-400 design single ended too?

 

I think it was the HE-4 that was single ended. The Abyss is also pretty much single ended as well.

post #184 of 3090

The HE-400 has magnets on both sides.  It employs weight (and cost) saving means by only having the 'voice coil' and magnetic structure covering abound 2/3s of the diaphragm.  Essentially the diaphragm encompasses all of the circular cup area, while the magnetic structure and tracings the rectangular grill you see when you peer through the earpads of the HE-400.

 

 

In theory, single-ended planars offer more airy sound as a result of less resonance issues by only having the magnets on one side of the diaphragm, but the tradeoff is less driver control and potentially higher distortion.  


Edited by TMRaven - 1/9/14 at 6:12pm
post #185 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

 

Yes, sensitivity. Take the HE-4: it is less sensitive than the 5LE, which is the dual magnet version.

 

It seems they found a solution for that anyway (stronger magnets?) since the sensitivity is pretty high (for a planar).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post
 

 

I think it was the HE-4 that was single ended. The Abyss is also pretty much single ended as well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

The HE-400 has magnets on both sides.  It employs weight (and cost) saving means by only having the 'voice coil' and magnetic structure covering abound 2/3s of the diaphragm.  Essentially the diaphragm encompasses all of the circular cup area, while the magnetic structure and tracings the rectangular grill you see when you peer through the earpads of the HE-400.

 

 

In theory, single-ended planars offer more airy sound as a result of less resonance issues by only having the magnets on one side of the diaphragm, but the tradeoff is less driver control and potentially higher distortion.  

 

Thank you very much for your informative posts. It really is a good feeling learning these kind of things. :)

I, just like almost everyone here on this thread, am very excited to hear if these new models will perform better technically to their predecessors. :popcorn: 


Edited by autoexec - 1/9/14 at 6:59pm
post #186 of 3090

subbed...

post #187 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

subbed...


I'd imagine this is great news for you, as you always despised the weight of orthos (right?). I remember you said you could only handle the HE-4's weight, and the others were too heavy. Well now you have more options from HiFiMaN to choose from :)

post #188 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

The HE-400 has magnets on both sides.  It employs weight (and cost) saving means by only having the 'voice coil' and magnetic structure covering abound 2/3s of the diaphragm.  Essentially the diaphragm encompasses all of the circular cup area, while the magnetic structure and tracings the rectangular grill you see when you peer through the earpads of the HE-400.

 

 

In theory, single-ended planars offer more airy sound as a result of less resonance issues by only having the magnets on one side of the diaphragm, but the tradeoff is less driver control and potentially higher distortion.

 

 

  so then,how does the conductive element,and therefore diaphragm,stay controlled if there isn't a very well controlled field for the diaphragm to get sandwiched between? I see what you mean by "potentially higher distortion".

 

  is the diaphragm really stiff on the single ended comparatively?,..or is the conductive element or magnet used/works differently?

 

  the why of "less resonance" and "more airy" (and difference in sound stage),was instantly clear to me once I read the reviews(HE-4) and then studied the design but I still want to know how the diaphragm is properly controlled. i really haven't read any reports of distortion,...has anybody?

post #189 of 3090

Man, looking forward to these!  The HE-400's have been my daily drivers as of the past couple weeks.  Great fun to listen to on a daily basis. 

post #190 of 3090

FIRST CES IMPRESSIONS / REVIEW!!!

 

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/hifiman-he-560-first-impressions-review

 

 

Wait a second, that looks like the HE400i lol, did they confuse the two models (HE560s should be wood)?


Edited by jerg - 1/9/14 at 8:38pm
post #191 of 3090

Love the strap.  Would love them even more if they retrofit to the older HEs...

post #192 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

FIRST CES IMPRESSIONS / REVIEW!!!

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/hifiman-he-560-first-impressions-review


Wait a second, that looks like the HE400i lol, did they confuse the two models (HE560s should be wood)?

I was just going to say the same thing. The HE-560 has teakwood cups according to the picture of the spec sheet posted earlier.

Bad news is they are using the same crap cable as the HE-500. Hopefully they change that.
Edited by Radioking59 - 1/9/14 at 8:46pm
post #193 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

FIRST CES IMPRESSIONS / REVIEW!!!

 

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/hifiman-he-560-first-impressions-review

 

 

Wait a second, that looks like the HE400i lol, did they confuse the two models (HE560s should be wood)?


Hmmm.... looks like angled pads?

post #194 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 


Hmmm.... looks like angled pads?

Hard to tell, these are definitely the new pads Fang promised they'd be showing at CES though. The only thing for certain is these are jumbo-sized, which is welcoming in terms of ergonomics.

 

I guess that was not really a useful impression at all, it just went over things we already know, and pretty much no sonic impressions. The photos are useful at least.


Edited by jerg - 1/9/14 at 8:50pm
post #195 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Hard to tell, these are definitely the new pads Fang promised they'd be showing at CES though. The only thing for certain is these are jumbo-sized, which is welcoming in terms of ergonomics.


They mention you on the other article, do you know if the design on the pads have anything to do with the jergpads? No back vents but maybe inside the leather is vented under the pads?

Could be the shadows on this one but they do long angled:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch