or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch - Page 94

post #1396 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxc View Post
 

Is Oppo single sided as well? Any sound impressions for those? They sure look beautiful.

lol that's funny. i personally think they look extremely silly like the nad hp50. i think round earcups are more classic & stylish than boxy rectangles on your ears. luckily for us, it's sound quality over looks & looks are very subjective.

post #1397 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

if the Oppo's planar maggies are released at the rumored estimated $1000-$1200 price as the video suggests (and it almost sounds like Oppo is planning on releasing an amp for em from the video comments), it would be competing with the HE-6 and Audeze headphones.

Not really competition for the sub-$1000 planar magnetic playing field as Hifiman really has that niche cornered.

Its been confirmed a while ago about other oppo amp. Worth looking at the oppo thread for it.

The only lower competition now is hifiman vs Mr speakers. Will be interesting when the new fostex open back planar is released , as well as where it sits price wise.
Edited by Eternal Schism - 2/3/14 at 6:32pm
post #1398 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Schism View Post

Its been confirmed a while ago about other oppo amp. Worth looking at the oppo thread for it.

the oppo planars will be able to work with other amps ya? have there been any rumors on the power requirements of the oppo planars? if they are too power-hungry, then the low efficiency & easy amping aspect of the new Hifiman releases would make me lean more towards those.

post #1399 of 3090
They will work with other amps of course, that'd be very foolish business wise if they couldn't.

Not sure about the efficiency, I have not seen anything about that yet. Hopefully it isn't he6 like in that regard.
post #1400 of 3090

got to audition some great phones today.  wasn't till i was about to leave i found out they had hifimans.  going to have to go back and audition them.

but omy the abyss and lcd-3 are great headphones.

post #1401 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post
 

got to audition some great phones today.  wasn't till i was about to leave i found out they had hifimans.  going to have to go back and audition them.

but omy the abyss and lcd-3 are great headphones.


Please do... we need some more impressions.

post #1402 of 3090

i liked my $300 modded he-400's more than the lcd-xc lol the lcd-xc had the same problem i had with the 400's before modding.  it was shouty

but that lcd-3 had such a smooth all around sound it was great but the imaging wasn't that good

i heard ringing during a couple vocals

There was something about the presentation that threw me off guard.  i can't put my finger on it but the best way i can think about it is that the abyss did sound life like and less like a headphone while the lcd-3 was less life-like.  transparency maybe?

post #1403 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Schism View Post

They will work with other amps of course, that'd be very foolish business wise if they couldn't.

Not sure about the efficiency, I have not seen anything about that yet. Hopefully it isn't he6 like in that regard.

hahaha... I meant more like would they require specific amp power requirements like Hifiman's HE-4 and HE-6. If so, it adds additional costs to budget-minded people trying to upgrade who don't have the right equipment... which would really suck IMO :(

post #1404 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post
 

i liked my $300 modded he-400's more than the lcd-xc lol the lcd-xc had the same problem i had with the 400's before modding.  it was shouty

but that lcd-3 had such a smooth all around sound it was great but the imaging wasn't that good

i heard ringing during a couple vocals

There was something about the presentation that threw me off guard.  i can't put my finger on it but the best way i can think about it is that the abyss did sound life like and less like a headphone while the lcd-3 was less life-like.  transparency maybe?

If you are hearing ringing or other audio distortions with $1,700 headphones (like the lcd-xc) that you also hear on the $300 HE-400... I would imagine that the problem is with your source rather than the headphones. ROTFL!!!

 

Sometimes the track just actually sounds shouty because that's the way it was mastered. lol!

post #1405 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

If you are hearing ringing or other audio distortions with $1,700 headphones (like the lcd-xc) that you also hear on the $300 HE-400... I would imagine that the problem is with your source rather than the headphones. ROTFL!!!

 

Sometimes the track just actually sounds shouty because that's the way it was mastered. lol!

That's a naive state of mind, costlier cans can and often do exhibit issues that certain cheaper cans don't have. Especially things like ringing or tonal annoyances, plenty of >$1000 headphones have them to various degrees at certain frequencies.

post #1406 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

If you are hearing ringing or other audio distortions with $1,700 headphones (like the lcd-xc) that you also hear on the $300 HE-400... I would imagine that the problem is with your source rather than the headphones. ROTFL!!!

 

Sometimes the track just actually sounds shouty because that's the way it was mastered. lol!

 

he never said he heard the ringing on the he-400 though. jerg said enough though about differences that can occur so ya +1 to jergs comments

post #1407 of 3090
Common sense dictates that a $1K+ headphone would be close to perfect in all regards. Can't be further away from the truth. It is pretty common that one would prefer a headphone to others at half the cost.
post #1408 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

That's a naive state of mind, costlier cans can and often do exhibit issues that certain cheaper cans don't have. Especially things like ringing or tonal annoyances, plenty of >$1000 headphones have them to various degrees at certain frequencies.

Shouty... as in how? Although what do I care I liked the un modded HE 400, and I like my W1000x with the pb1 which was a upper mid boosting amp. I think I enjoy to an extent "shouty" but to much attack and NO decay I do not enjoy 

post #1409 of 3090
The xc was faster than the 3 and a bit drier, more reference like. It did not seem to be fatiguing except vocals would sometimes have distance from your ears and then as the singers voice elevated the dynamics would suddenly hit your ear drums. I tried different volumes and it was not simply because I had the volume to high. They were not a bad headphone and I appreciated what they did but they are not for me. The 3s ringing I really only heard twice so take that with a grain of salt. It didn't distract me from enjoying the sound. I'm very curious about how the he-500compares and the first day my wife has off after we get our taxes I am going to go do full on review with pictures and definitely spend more time with them
The abyss was phenomenal and actually the realism reminded me of my 400s but on a totally different level with a flatter frequency response and great treble extension. The 3 also demonstrated pretty good treble extension that I most definitely welcomed and to be honest never understood it till I heard these cans
post #1410 of 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

The xc was faster than the 3 and a bit drier, more reference like. It did not seem to be fatiguing except vocals would sometimes have distance from your ears and then as the singers voice elevated the dynamics would suddenly hit your ear drums. I tried different volumes and it was not simply because I had the volume to high. They were not a bad headphone and I appreciated what they did but they are not for me. The 3s ringing I really only heard twice so take that with a grain of salt. It didn't distract me from enjoying the sound. I'm very curious about how the he-500compares and the first day my wife has off after we get our taxes I am going to go do full on review with pictures and definitely spend more time with them
The abyss was phenomenal and actually the realism reminded me of my 400s but on a totally different level with a flatter frequency response and great treble extension. The 3 also demonstrated pretty good treble extension that I most definitely welcomed and to be honest never understood it till I heard these cans

Good attitude, I'd love to hear the XC and compare it to my modded W1000x, the XC should blow it out of the water 

 

I may wind up with a W5000 before I get the XC though 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch