or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Introduction and help about portable amp/dac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Introduction and help about portable amp/dac

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hello,

 

 

I am a new member here, altough I have been reading this forum for more than a year now and enjoying it very much and learning a lot.

 

I started searching for information in order to upgrade my headphones.

 

I listen to a lot of Jazz and Classical Music and some heavy metal.

 

Now I use an iPod, with Apple lossless files and a pair o Sennheiser PX200II.

 

As I would like to have an increase in soundstage and ear the instruments in a more separate way, after reading several reviews I decided to buy, the relatively new, NAD Viso HP-50.

 

My first question is, do I need an amplifier. Probably half of you guys will say that, with only 32 Ohm I don´t, but the other half will probably say that the sound experience will improve.

 

I also have another doubt. How do I bypass the iPod's DAC. I have a Fiio L9 cable to connect to the bottom of the iPod. Does that means that the signal that comes out of it is digital and not analog I need a DAC to convert it? And does that means that with just an amplifier it won't work? Sorry for my elementar questions but I have not found any good explanation of how that works.

 

 

So with NAD Viso HP-50, an iPod and Fiio L9 cable, what do I need, for instance: a Fiio E11 (amp) or a Fio E17 (DAC/amp) ?

 

 

Thank you very much for any of your support and answers

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteironm View Post

Hello,


I am a new member here, altough I have been reading this forum for more than a year now and enjoying it very much and learning a lot.

I started searching for information in order to upgrade my headphones.

I listen to a lot of Jazz and Classical Music and some heavy metal.

Now I use an iPod, with Apple lossless files and a pair o Sennheiser PX200II.

As I would like to have an increase in soundstage and ear the instruments in a more separate way, after reading several reviews I decided to buy, the relatively new, NAD Viso HP-50.

My first question is, do I need an amplifier. Probably half of you guys will say that, with only 32 Ohm I don´t, but the other half will probably say that the sound experience will improve.

I also have another doubt. How do I bypass the iPod's DAC. I have a Fiio L9 cable to connect to the bottom of the iPod. Does that means that the signal that comes out of it is digital and not analog I need a DAC to convert it? And does that means that with just an amplifier it won't work? Sorry for my elementar questions but I have not found any good explanation of how that works.


So with NAD Viso HP-50, an iPod and Fiio L9 cable, what do I need, for instance: a Fiio E11 (amp) or a Fio E17 (DAC/amp) ?


Thank you very much for any of your support and answers

On the ipod: No, you can't bypass the ipod DAC without hardware modifications to the ipod. There are companies that used to provide that modification service (ALO) but you really don't want to mess with that - it is expensive. The L9 cable is a "lineout" cable. It bypasses the ipod's built-in amp and sends the lineout signal from the ipod's built-in DAC to your own external amp. This is a Good Thing - it will improve the sound by eliminating the noise from the ipod's amp prior to the signal (and the noise) being amplified by the external amp. I have no comment on the NAD Visio HP-50, I have never heard them.
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteironm View Post
 

 

My first question is, do I need an amplifier. Probably half of you guys will say that, with only 32 Ohm I don´t, but the other half will probably say that the sound experience will improve.

 

I also have another doubt. How do I bypass the iPod's DAC. I have a Fiio L9 cable to connect to the bottom of the iPod. Does that means that the signal that comes out of it is digital and not analog I need a DAC to convert it? And does that means that with just an amplifier it won't work? Sorry for my elementar questions but I have not found any good explanation of how that works.

 

 

So with NAD Viso HP-50, an iPod and Fiio L9 cable, what do I need, for instance: a Fiio E11 (amp) or a Fio E17 (DAC/amp) ?

 

 

Thank you very much for any of your support and answers

 

an amp would improve the sound quality.

 

it is not possible to bypass the dac of ipod. Even if you use the L9 cable, the sound would be analog. If you want to use the headphones with computer and ipod, go for E17. So that E17 will be used as a dac/amp with computer and an amp with ipod. If you intend to use the headphones only with ipod, go for a portable amp such as E11 or E12.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

Ok, thanks for your quick answers. now I understand that the sound that comes from the L9 cable is still analog.

I intend to use the iPod only and not with a computer so I will focus on a portable amplifier and not a DAC/amp.

 

 

Regarding to the example that I gave (the Fiio E11) will it perfom well with the NAD Viso HP-50? I am also looking for some more expensive ones like Graham Slee Voyager and Just Audio uHA-120. Will they make a huge difference from the Fiio?

 

Unfortunately here in Europe we don't have most of the brands that you talk about in this forum, that is why I considered only the 2 models that I've metioned.

 

 

Thank you

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteironm View Post
 

Ok, thanks for your quick answers. now I understand that the sound that comes from the L9 cable is still analog.

I intend to use the iPod only and not with a computer so I will focus on a portable amplifier and not a DAC/amp.

 

 

Regarding to the example that I gave (the Fiio E11) will it perfom well with the NAD Viso HP-50? I am also looking for some more expensive ones like Graham Slee Voyager and Just Audio uHA-120. Will they make a huge difference from the Fiio?

 

Unfortunately here in Europe we don't have most of the brands that you talk about in this forum, that is why I considered only the 2 models that I've metioned.

 

 

Thank you

Stick with Fiio. It is value for money!(even though we have to pay more in EU compared to US)

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 

Instead of Fiio E11 maybe I should look at Fiio E12, it seems like some features gets improved.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteironm View Post
 

Instead of Fiio E11 maybe I should look at Fiio E12, it seems like some features gets improved.


+1

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

And how is the JDS Labs C5 comparede to the Fiio E12? Has anyone compared them side by side?

post #9 of 12
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks, my previous search didn't match any results.

 

But the conclusion on that one doesn't tend to choose any of the two. So I'm still without a clear answer.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

After reading a litle bit more, I bought the JDS Labs C5. If I choose the Nad Viso HP-50 for it's good soundstage and instrumental separation, I had to choose something that went with it, and from what I've read this one is a litle better than the Fiio E12.

 

Just paid 215€ for it. Yeap, that is what we have to "suffer" in Europe to have some good equipment.

 

 

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

 

Cheers

post #12 of 12
There are almost never "clear answers" in audio. The differences between typical amps in the same price range is small. The NAD 'phones don't appear to be really difficult to drive - I suspect (but I don't know for sure) that either amp would be fine. Sometimes you just have to make a choice and go for it. smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Introduction and help about portable amp/dac