or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › KRK Rokit 6 for Desktop use? Is it possible?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KRK Rokit 6 for Desktop use? Is it possible? - Page 2

post #16 of 24

Most audio interfaces come with a basic recording software bundle, such as cubase or ableton, so if you want to you can play around with making your own music with a cheep USB keyboard and some "virtual" instruments.  

 

Hope you enjoy your new speakers :)

post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post
 

Most audio interfaces come with a basic recording software bundle, such as cubase or ableton, so if you want to you can play around with making your own music with a cheep USB keyboard and some "virtual" instruments.  

 

Hope you enjoy your new speakers :)

 

Yeah I know! :) When I buy the new speakers I will definitely come back and tell you my experience. (its gonna be an enthusiast one!) haha!

 

:P

 

Thanks guys!

post #18 of 24

I assume you want to spend the least you can so:

 

If you don't have an interface and looking for something to connect the rokit to your laptop this is more or less what you can use..

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP153-Cable-Inch-Dual/dp/B000068O3C

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/TRS-Phone-to-Dual-XLR-Male-Cable-p/saixlry10.htm

 

Look for the 10ft cable.


Edited by squallkiercosa - 1/12/14 at 1:48pm
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by squallkiercosa View Post
 

I assume you want to spend the least you can do so
 

 

If you don't have an interface and looking for something to connect the rokit to your laptop this is more or less what you can use..

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP153-Cable-Inch-Dual/dp/B000068O3C

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/TRS-Phone-to-Dual-XLR-Male-Cable-p/saixlry10.htm

 

Look for the 10ft cable.

 

Thanks for your help man! This 10ft. cable is for use WITHOUT the Lexicon Alpha right?

post #20 of 24

Exactly. You need ONLY the cable, no interface. Check first where would you like to connect the speakers because both need to be plugged to an outlet. 10ft should be enough but be aware, A right/left angled 3.5mm extension/adapter can be in handy to avoid extra tension to the cable and the laptop jack and gain a few extra ft. 

post #21 of 24

While a cable WILL connect the computer to the speakers it may not be the perfect solution.  I wont ever advocate spending money needlessly so testing a DAC or AI from a supplier with a good returns policy is the best way to find out if the investment is worthwhile or not.  Having  $500 monitors being driven by a poor on board audio chip is almost as pointless as a $2000 DAC with $500 speakers.  

 

The cable is a solution, but there may still be room to get more performance out of the speakers.  Thats all I was trying to suggest.

post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablix View Post
 

While a cable WILL connect the computer to the speakers it may not be the perfect solution.  I wont ever advocate spending money needlessly so testing a DAC or AI from a supplier with a good returns policy is the best way to find out if the investment is worthwhile or not.  Having  $500 monitors being driven by a poor on board audio chip is almost as pointless as a $2000 DAC with $500 speakers.  

 

The cable is a solution, but there may still be room to get more performance out of the speakers.  Thats all I was trying to suggest.

You're completely right, but please give him some options

post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 

Thank you both for your help! I will be (economically) able to buy the speakers on February so I will be back to inform you how it goes. :)

 

One more question. If I also buy the Lexicon Alpha (or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) which cables do you suggest for me to buy?

 

Thanks again for your time guys!

post #24 of 24

I believe you will want TRS>TRS or TRS>XLR cables for either audio interface.  I am using basic 3m TRS > XLR cables that cost under $25 a peice and available from most specialist stores, amazon etc.  

 

For you information I toyed with the focusrite for a while but ended up getting the roland quad capture at a reduced rate, the only reason for my buying decision.  I am now putting a Focursrite 6i6 interface in the shopping cart as I want to play around with more mic than I can currently use.  

 

In terms of audiophile DAC's products from Schitt Audio seem to be well reviewed here, not sure about the pricing however.

 

In terms of audio upgrade with dac's I can plug my adam a7x into my PC with a cable solution and no interface dac, and to my ears there is a difference in quality.  The noise floor is audible for a start and the bass extension is poor, but consider this is on board sound card as a source and very revealing pro monitors.  Each situation is very different, in terms of PC/laptop, cable's, monitors and indeed room acoustics.

 

HTH

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › KRK Rokit 6 for Desktop use? Is it possible?