Originally Posted by GearMe
In reality, I might even buy the argument that, at the lower to middle end of the spectrum, you could have better luck finding higher quality in individual components by choosing high-value performers from each equipment category with a little research, listening, and patience to get a good deal.
And that's a good point. I think sometimes people evaluating passive vs. active setups are looking at MSRP. The truth is that I would not recommend that anyone buy most brick and mortar store company brand speakers (and often receivers) at anywhere near MSRP for any use. For example, the Polk TSi200 are listed at Crutchfield for MSRP $319.99, their price $249. However, those are the same as the Polk Monitor series that Newegg sells, which have historically frequently been on sale well under $200. That makes them a good value at Newegg's price, but nothing special at Crutchfield's. Similarly, the HK 3390 amp I have is an excellent price/performance value at around $250 or less, but not at it's MSRP of $399
On the other hand, there are Internet direct brands like Emotiva, Ascend Acoustics, EmpTek, etc. that sell their equipment at a good price/performance value. If someone is going to spend full MSRP on passive speaker equipment from Best Buy, then the best active speakers for the same money probably are going to sound better.
So, like you say, one has to research to discover how to put together that good system.
Originally Posted by Tablix
I tip my hat in respect to both GearMe and Cel for not taking my post as an attack, I hate these "recommend me" posts as all we can honestly do is offer a starting point for research which is about 10% of the buying process. The other 90% is all about personal situation, use and preference. Its very difficult to make objective and recommendations when most of us are passionate about the gear we have bought and owned, this often clouds how we offer advice. To offer anyone a buying suggestion is usually just asking for someone to confirm our own thoughts to kill the insecurities of "upgraditus" or "gear-envy" making us not go shopping for the next level of audio bliss.
And in terms of fanboys, we would be mad not to be fans of things we have spent thousands of dolars on. I think we are all equally guilty of loving our gear.
You and I disagree sometimes, but I respect your opinion.
I'll admit I mostly reacted because you strongly supported DR, who does have a pretty clear agenda represented in his postings, and will often say whatever he can think of (even if not tenable or accurate) to support that agenda. For example, this week, he told someone who was thinking of switching their B&W DM602s to an active setup that the cones likely needed replacing on the 602s because they were about 15 years old. A ridiculous suggestion since the DM602s cones are made out of Kevlar (lol). So I beg you. Try not to enable him.
I don't actually mind these "recommend me" threads. I'm glad to see people asking these questions because it does, as GearMe says, require research to get a good value for your money. And it's perfectly good when people say they like this or that which they own, or they prefer how it sounds to some other model, and recommend it. The problem is when people categorically say that X is always better than Y, when they know that many people with lots of experience feel differently. That doesn't help an OP because they could be part of the crowd would like the other choice.