No I haven't heard either. Just going off the hundreds of posts read and trying to read between the lines. What I think we know as fact that is NOT debatable.
- W4 and certainly w40 has better textured bass than SE535.
- W4/W40 has better extended treble than SE535
- W4/W40 has better transparency than SE535.
- Midrange is a preference between the two....a draw.
- SE846 has the best bass of any universal IEM to date.
- There is very little data and feedback about any improved treble or overall transparency or soundstage from SE535 to SE846 which leads most to believe that improvements with SE846 are all about the bass.
Based off reading the above bullet points and hearing that Westone has improved everything about W40 (knowing it was already better than SE535), if you put a gun to my head and said pick one...I'd probably choose the W60 thinking as a whole package, it may be the very best universal IEM ever made (based on what I hear out of W40). For those that are bass heads or are big pop, rap and hip hop fans......without even hearing it I would say go ahead and buy SE846 instead. Those people probably don't know what transparency even is.
I love your bullet points and your absolute assumption you are correct comparing the 535 to the W4r. So I guess all of us who owned both but preferred the 535 are just wrong and you are right. Wow thank you for setting me straight.
Please read the comment in the beginning of this article how the sales of the W4r were a disappointment to Westone.
Edited by spook76 - 6/11/14 at 7:29pm