Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60 - Page 21

post #301 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by yilun View Post
 

Has anyone auditioned both W50 and W60? Heard that they have quite different sound signature.

 

Yes 9 posts ago, I have heard both on different occasions, my impression is that the w50 are darker.

post #302 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggypinggy View Post
 

Please help, W50 or UM 50 Pro?

I am using iBasso DX50, most of my music are WAV format.

I am currently using um3x and want to upgrade it to W50 or UM 50 Pro.

1. Do I need to get an AMP for W50 or UM50pro?
2. What are the difference between them? 

Thanks for helping^^!

Your ID looks familiar..Are you pigg on www.erji.net?

post #303 of 355

I received a few pairs of new Shure triple flange ear tips today & have been hacking them up per the diagram (more or less).

 

I cut the stem per the "1st Cut" in diag A, & cut the smallest flange off per diag B. However, I did not make the "2nd Cut" because it made them too short for my ears to seal properly.

 

So far I like the direction the sound has taken. It has tamed the boominess of the lows without sacrificing the quality, & I am resolving the highs better. Almost where I wish the Cardas' could have gone with different tips to knock the mids back.

 

I'm looking forward to listening more this weekend.


I had tried to cancel the order for the Grados when ordering the flanges, but I missed the cutoff, so I received those today too.

 

I may as well give them a listen to compare.

 

 

post #304 of 355

With W40 having a good 20% more bass than W4, it is really difficult to understand or gauge how much better EITHER W50 or W60 are over it?

post #305 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post

To me, the W60 bass quantity is similar, but lo, lo-mids, mids, quality and detail are much better than the W4. The detail in those freqs is amazing and special to listen to... as amazing as the subs are on the 846. The sub lows maybe not be quite as deep... but everything above that is much more detailed. You can notice notes on low/mid freqs that just sound like great sub on the 846, comparitively.

The high end is also much better than W4 and 846. So smooth, but seems to extend beyond either.

The Westones I've had are notorious for being very dependent on ear tips to get the best out of 'em. The W60 is no different. It does sound better than the W4 using standard single, double, triple flange tips. But I've said this before, and I'll say it again for the W60. To really hear all the W60 has to offer, you need to make the EarPortz tips work for you. Westone, W60, and EarPortz are a match made in heaven. It seems as though the more open you can keep Westones' output directly to your ear drum, the Westones keep increasingly showing their strengths. So the widest bore eartip you can get comfortable with is most desirable. With EarPortz, the W60 is capable of very closely matching the low end oomph! of the 846, but the W60 is leaps and bounds ahead of W4 and 846 throughout the frequency range when it comes to detail and quality. Westone has done it again for me. They kept the buttery, sweet mids of the W4, and the overall "Westone sound" signature... but bumped it up a few notches in the quality of sound. This is much more to my liking than my 846. I'll probably be keeping both, because the low end thump on the 846, along with the pushed high mids, are fun to listen to sometimes. But for range, quality, tone, and detail... the W60 is the winner for me.

 

Interesting find! Thanks for sharing. I personally find the bass quantity too lacking in the W40 but the W60 fixes this without pushing the mids and highs back.

post #306 of 355

The W50 do sound darker than the W60, I could hear the sub bass more with the W50, but the W60 have a lot of details and clarity to me.

 

The pair of W60 that I demoed have not been burnt in for a long time I was told, since they have only been in for 2 days, there was a little bit of harshness in the treble which I think should go away eventually.

 

I liked the W60 a lot so I got a pair, but was told they take a lot of burning in, 200 hrs apparently. :-S

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by milford30 View Post
 

 

Yes 9 posts ago, I have heard both on different occasions, my impression is that the w50 are darker.

post #307 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepller View Post
 

 

Interesting find! Thanks for sharing. I personally find the bass quantity too lacking in the W40 but the W60 fixes this without pushing the mids and highs back.

Yeah, I agree that using standard tips, the W60 does have more quantity of low end, and possibly even high end, so that it sounds acceptable using the standard tips. Whereas the W4 was really quite "flat" sounding using standard tips. The W60 does fix that. But use the wide bore double flange tips from Sensorcom, EarSonics, or Earphonesplus' double or triple flange and the W4 & especially W60 sound quality, including high freqs and low end impact, improves significantly over the standard Westone and Shure tips. And if you can make the EarPortz tips work for you properly, the W4 becomes a great IEM, and the W60 is noticeably well beyond the W4 and 846 in detail and sound quality, with very close to as much impact in the low end as the 846. So the W60 comes out far on top for me. The detail in the upper low end and lower mids of the W60 is unrivaled by the 846, as well as the high end being noticeably smoother and much less fatiguing than the 846.


Edited by javahut - 5/25/14 at 4:03pm
post #308 of 355

Back from my trip & it appears the Grado's have beat out the W50's. They are night & day from each other.

 

I like a more neutral, balanced sound & I'm finding the W50's way too dark compared to the Grado's which don't throw low end in your face because they can, but when the source material demands it.

 

I'm liking the different reports on the W60's, but I can't justify $1000 when the Grado's are $400 & sound quite good. I'm sure the W60's are better, but 2.5x better?

 

I'll have to make due with a small eq bump for the low end with the Grado's to keep my wallet from catching on fire.

post #309 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr1971 View Post
 

Back from my trip & it appears the Grado's have beat out the W50's. They are night & day from each other.

 

I like a more neutral, balanced sound & I'm finding the W50's way too dark compared to the Grado's which don't throw low end in your face because they can, but when the source material demands it.

 

I'm liking the different reports on the W60's, but I can't justify $1000 when the Grado's are $400 & sound quite good. I'm sure the W60's are better, but 2.5x better?

 

I'll have to make due with a small eq bump for the low end with the Grado's to keep my wallet from catching on fire.

"The Grados"??

 

Are you talking GR10?  Nice IEM but grossly overpriced at $400.  Maybe $250 would be more appropriate.  The bass is a little bit more than an Ety ER4 which is a great thing and I certainly prefer GR10 over ER4 overall but IMHO GR10 cant possibly compete with W4/40 and above.   Just my opinion.

 

GR10 best most unique feature is it's ability to offer such a floating airy sound.  So addicting.  But if you like to crank it up....amped or unamped,,GR10 will start to crap out/distort versus a Westone or Shure product.

post #310 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

"The Grados"??

 

Are you talking GR10?  Nice IEM but grossly overpriced at $400.  Maybe $250 would be more appropriate.  The bass is a little bit more than an Ety ER4 which is a great thing and I certainly prefer GR10 over ER4 overall but IMHO GR10 cant possibly compete with W4/40 and above.   Just my opinion.

 

GR10 best most unique feature is it's ability to offer such a floating airy sound.  So addicting.  But if you like to crank it up....amped or unamped,,GR10 will start to crap out/distort versus a Westone or Shure product.

 

Unfortunately I can't find anywhere around here to test the W4's out. Does Westone have a retail space at their factory where you can test stuff? They are only an hour from here.

 

How does the sound compare between the W4 & GR10's?

 

So far during normal listening I haven't had to crank them up to a point where they distort.

post #311 of 355

Ok so listened to the W50 for about a month now and had posted my review based on using the stock cables with the DX90 and X5.

 

Hope you guys find it useful.

 

http://headfonics.com/2014/06/the-w50-iem-from-westone/

 

 

 

Sadly I do not have a wide range of Westone to compare and didn't get the W60 to test either. My opinions are based from testing the UM 10 Pro, the Alpha Series, the UM3X, the UM1, the K3003, IE800, UM Merlin's and the UE900.

 

I am being told silver cables might just make a big difference. I have twag v2 and Beats silver sonic but sadly with the old 2 prong connectors so that is frustrating. Will add to the review if I get some new cables with the connectors.


Edited by marcusd - 6/1/14 at 7:52am
post #312 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusd View Post
 

Ok so listened to the W50 for about a month now and had posted my review based on using the stock cables with the DX90 and X5.

 

Hope you guys find it useful.

 

http://headfonics.com/2014/06/the-w50-iem-from-westone/

 

 

 

Sadly I do not have a wide range of Westone to compare and didn't get the W60 to test either. My opinions are based from testing the UM 10 Pro, the Alpha Series, the UM3X, the UM1, the K3003, IE800, UM Merlin's and the UE900.

 

I am being told silver cables might just make a big difference. I have twag v2 and Beats silver sonic but sadly with the old 2 prong connectors so that is frustrating. Will add to the review if I get some new cables with the connectors.

 

Great review. I wish I could have read it a couple of weeks ago to save myself having to return the W50's I bought. At least I have heard them now to compare to other IEMs though.

post #313 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

"The Grados"??

 

Are you talking GR10?  Nice IEM but grossly overpriced at $400.  Maybe $250 would be more appropriate.  The bass is a little bit more than an Ety ER4 which is a great thing and I certainly prefer GR10 over ER4 overall but IMHO GR10 cant possibly compete with W4/40 and above.   Just my opinion.

 

GR10 best most unique feature is it's ability to offer such a floating airy sound.  So addicting.  But if you like to crank it up....amped or unamped,,GR10 will start to crap out/distort versus a Westone or Shure product.

 

After doing a bunch of reading I jumped off of my wallet & ordered a set of new W4r's. My wallet may curse you, but hopefully my ears will tell the wallet to be quiet.

post #314 of 355

I think you might prefer the W4.  Let your ears get use to the "not as bright" sound of the GR10.  Certainly warmer and more lush....but it still has amazing treble!  That's the real unique lure of W4/40.   How it is so laid back warm and lush but has fabulous treble too.   Use the silcone tips, play with EQ...W4/40 is a very fine product and much more forgiving of sources versus the very picky Grados.  Please report back.  Very curious what you think.

post #315 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

I think you might prefer the W4.  Let your ears get use to the "not as bright" sound of the GR10.  Certainly warmer and more lush....but it still has amazing treble!  That's the real unique lure of W4/40.   How it is so laid back warm and lush but has fabulous treble too.   Use the silcone tips, play with EQ...W4/40 is a very fine product and much more forgiving of sources versus the very picky Grados.  Please report back.  Very curious what you think.

 

Just got my W4r's & am a few songs into listening. Out of the box I am liking them a lot.

 

Your description was spot on. Definitely warmer than the Grado's, but not obnoxiously so. A real nice balance with great treble presence given their warmth.

 

I am currently using the Westone silicone tips, but will be trying the Shure tips I bought & modified for the W50's at some point as well.

 

I am going to have some fun with these this weekend. Thanks again for the recommendation.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone Signature W-series W50 & W60