Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Would the HD700s be a good addition to existing HDVD800, HD800 and HD650 setup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would the HD700s be a good addition to existing HDVD800, HD800 and HD650 setup?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi Everyone,

 

I’m a long time voyeur of these forums, but this is my first post (please be gentle).

 

I have a bit of an obsession with lovely things and often I obtain more than I really need. I really love a lot of Sennheiser equipment and I have quite a few items of theirs. I have the HDVD800 amp, HD800s and HD650s (which one I use depends on my mood) but I have a niggling feeling I’m missing out by not owning the HD700s. It may not be that rational, but the never satisfied completist in me yearns to own the 700s.

 

In anyone’s opinion, is there any real benefit to me owning the 700s as well as the 800s and 650s? And do you think they offer enough of their own unique sound signature or would they just feel like a weak pair of 800s?

 

This is probably a simple question without a simply answer, but I appreciate any input.

 

Many thanks,

 

Danno.

post #2 of 12

I see no need for a hd700, it is bright and peaky, sounds artificial. Rather get something else. 

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

@davidsh

 

Thanks for the reply. Seems a reasonable idea to look at other makes.

 

I guess with Sennheiser I'm personally in known territory so it's 'safe' for me to look at their range, especially when matched with the HDVD800.

 

Maybe I should look at something like the LCD-3 or something from Beyer to compliment my collection. Although whether or not they match with the amp is a different thing. I should give them a demo when I next have the opportunity (and can find a shop that exact config ready to go).

post #4 of 12

Some folks have complained about the treble spike, or treble peakiness in the HD700, this is true.... but to any degree more than similar complaints of too much treble or too sterile sounding regarding the HD800?  I don't think so.

 

There is a great argument to be had regarding the HD700 in your collection, and that argument is that regardless of how high or low your opinion of the HD700 is (and mine is very high), I have yet to come across anyone that feels it is in any way similar to the HD650 or HD800.  Many good reviews on these cans, and I think a good case to be made about some potentially positive attributes:

 

1) Better bass than HD650, cleaner and more articulate, and while maybe not quite as deep as HD800 in absolute terms, a bit more punchier and certainly more present in terms of the rest of the spectrum than with the HD800.  I won't go so far as to say that is plain fact, but I see a very high degree of corroboration on these points.

 

2) Not as amp fussy as the HD800 or amp demanding as the HD650, so if you enjoy and celebrate the Senn brand, then I would argue the HD700 is the most versatile in terms of smart phones, tablets and laptops, and other direct headphone connections that are not dedicated pieces of headphone equipment, and yet when you do put an HD700 on anything that is known to work well with either the HD650 or HD800, I get the sense that most agree the HD700 comes to life on those chains as well.  So you have a unique situation here where the HD700 should be happy to follow either HD800 or HD650 on any given piece of equipment, but at the same time do better on equipment that does not quite work with the other two.

 

3) Give the HD700 plenty of time to break in and settle down, give yourself plenty of time to not be so obsessed with the dreaded spike, and there is a very good chance you will join many people who feel the sound and comfort of the HD700 is world class and though not as spacious and detailed as the HD800, it is "musical" and "versatile" and "dynamic" enough to deserve a space on the top shelve of any collection.

 

At $999, even if money is not a driving concern, I would be hesitant to make the jump, but at $650, why not!  Also, if you happen to be near a Best Buy Magnolia or any audio shop that deals with Senn, there is a good chance you can give them a try.  I use mine with a Dragonfly 1.2 and love it.  I have also listened through the HDVD800 and think they sound great.  And finally, they are a bit smaller and lower profile than the HD800, so when you are not in the mood for opposing pie plates that press on your upper jaw line, you can instead opt for the most ergonomic headphones on the planet, the fabulous HD700 : ) 

post #5 of 12

Yeah, the hd700 is very very comfortable, surely the most comfortable headphone I have tried. More so than hd800 for me.

I haven't owned the hd700, only demoed.

post #6 of 12

Yes, the design/comfort is what I think is best about the HD700, and I don't have anything but respect for other opinions regarding their sound as the fit and driver/ear interface, and music selection, equipment selection, etc.. all cause us to hear things differently.  And yes, their measured response, like many other headphones, give reason for caution...

 

I think the main point is that the HD-650, HD-700, HD-800 all have a different sound rather than a clear "house sound" from sennheiser in general, and they all three seem to have very distinctly different strengths and weaknesses.  So if you think it would be cool to have all three, and I think it would be very cool to be able to afford that option, then there is merit in doing so as they each may appeal more or less to you on any given day with any particular selection of music.  That is the nice part about having a collection of headphones, being able to take a chance and have a slice of various "schools of though" on what makes a great headphone and not be locked in to one path.   But I guess going for an HE-500 or 600, or an LCD-2 or 3 is certainly just as valid, but I think there is something neat about having all three HD's to entertain you, friends and family with a trio of some of the best Sennheiser has to offer, past and present.  I would even add the 598 and 600 to the mix and call it mission complete!  You have to really love Sennheiser to go that far, but if any brand deserves that kind of craziness I think they do.  They have been with us a long time, and unlike others (AKG are you listening?) with a long history, they didn't fall asleep on the job.

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks both.

 

@Greggo

 

Thanks for the very detailed posts I really appreciate it, you've given me a lot to think over though as you also may have caused me greater expense in the future :D only because a full range of HDs on a nice long headphone stand will (to me anyway) beat any inanimate ornament for room decoration! And they'd be functional. I think I may well get the 700s, and once I get accustomed to owning them I may look down the line and add the other models. You never know what moods I’ll feel in the future. As you say, I may wish to have a detailed but smaller pair of headphones than the 800s at times, so the 700s may work well in that scenario. I’ve not really ventured below the number 650 in terms of the HD range, but I’ll have a read of some trade/user reviews on them and maybe demo them out when I can.

post #8 of 12

I have the HD600, HD650, HD800 and now the HD700. Like you, I am a completist and would not have been satisfied until I had heard the HD700. I did find the treble a bit sharp but this can be solved with a cable replacement - this one is $33 and provides a much more balanced sound: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD700-HD-700-Headphone-/261317123574?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var&hash=item3cd7b6ddf6&_uhb=1&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email.

 

I like the HD700. It is more resolving than the HD600 or 650, but not as much as the HD800, but (with a cable replacement) with a warmer balance than the HD800. I use the HD700 in a bedroom system with an RSA HR-2 amp, while the HD800s are used with my RSA Apache in my main rig. Both sound excellent.

 

I would recommend getting the HD700s to complement your collection and spending another 30 bucks on the cable.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks I appreciate the perspectives.

 

I do believe (with your help) I've made my mind up to buy them. I'm sure I won't regret it at all :)

 

I somehow believe I would have always come to this choice in the end. Please Sennheiser, for the sake of my marriage, don't bring out an HD750 or 850 any time soon.


Edited by Danno81 - 1/9/14 at 7:20am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81 View Post
 

Thanks I appreciate the perspectives.

 

I do believe (with your help) I've made my mind up to buy them. I'm sure I won't regret it at all :)

 

I somehow believe I would have always come to this choice in the end. Please Sennheiser, for the sake of my marriage, don't bring out an HD750 or 850 any time soon.

 

Just out of curiosity, why the need for that many headphones? I mean, what's lacking still having both the HD650 and HD800? I'm considering getting HD800s too but I'm not planning on keeping my HD600s. And yes, I've listened to them long enough, that's whys 1) I want a pair of my own and 2) I'm sure I don't need to have both 600 and 800 (but that's also why I'm not rushing; I might like it better than the HD600, but since I don't really dislike them, no need to rush).

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi ProtegeManiac,

 

It's not that I need them so much, more that I'd enjoy collecting and owning them and using them depending on my mood. I love the HD650s and when I bought them I thought it would hard to beat them by any large stretch, then I bought the 800s and I realised that in many ways that wasn’t true and they are amazing. But they each have their character, the 650s are great for some more shameless listening, something rocky for example, because of their bass signature and less challenging detail. I do love the 800s, they are an amazing pair of headphones and currently I’m using them more than the 650s.

 

The 800s have a wonderful clarity that makes listening to them a joy, however they are exceptionally clear and revealing. I’d use the 800s if I want to really get into thinking about the music and hearing every detail, I find this wonderful but it does take more focus and distracts from a simpler level of enjoyment. If I just want to switch off and take some time away from life the 650s are awesome for that, they don't take the effort the 800s do and that can be exactly what I'm looking for at times.

 

I think the 700s should fall somewhere in between those, allowing me a little of both if I don't want to completely switch off, but also allowing enough clarity to get inside the music and appreciate it technically when I want too, but not to the same extent that the 800s do.

 

That was the rational justification, the irrational side of this is my love of completing a collection (can be anything, if I enjoy something I can get a bit collect obsessed). If I bought the 600s and the 598s, etc, this would only be for the last irrational reason. But I still may do that.

 

All this aside, the HDVD800 has 4 headphone outputs so if some friends come around we could all try them out together and demo them, assuming they want to check out the headphones.

 

I hope that makes sense.

 

Dan.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81 View Post
 

Hi ProtegeManiac,

 

It's not that I need them so much, more that I'd enjoy collecting and owning them and using them depending on my mood. I love the HD650s and when I bought them I thought it would hard to beat them by any large stretch, then I bought the 800s and I realised that in many ways that wasn’t true and they are amazing. But they each have their character, the 650s are great for some more shameless listening, something rocky for example, because of their bass signature and less challenging detail. I do love the 800s, they are an amazing pair of headphones and currently I’m using them more than the 650s.

 

The 800s have a wonderful clarity that makes listening to them a joy, however they are exceptionally clear and revealing. I’d use the 800s if I want to really get into thinking about the music and hearing every detail, I find this wonderful but it does take more focus and distracts from a simpler level of enjoyment. If I just want to switch off and take some time away from life the 650s are awesome for that, they don't take the effort the 800s do and that can be exactly what I'm looking for at times.

 

I think the 700s should fall somewhere in between those, allowing me a little of both if I don't want to completely switch off, but also allowing enough clarity to get inside the music and appreciate it technically when I want too, but not to the same extent that the 800s do.

 

I've briefly tried the HD700, but they might not necessarily fall in with what you need the 3rd headphone for, regardless of the model numbers and the price. From my trying out gears it sounds more like the LCD-2 will slot in between the HD650 and HD800.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81 View Post

 

All this aside, the HDVD800 has 4 headphone outputs so if some friends come around we could all try them out together and demo them, assuming they want to check out the headphones.

 

This might not be as easy as it sounds, even with all three Sennheiser headphones. Each of them has a slightly different sensitivity and so would your friends' ears, plus the frequency response are different (so that can affect the percieved volume), therefore whoever is on the HD650 might listen a lot louder than the ones on the HD700 and HD800. The treble sharpness of the HD700 for example will be piercing while the HD650's smoothed out treble is still pleasing (or lacking) to whoever's wearing it. In short, even with all three headphones connected, it's likely better that you all listen one person at a time, swapping headphones then adjusting the volume (by ear isn't as good as actually measuring the actual loudness, but better than nothing).

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81 View Post
 

 

Hi ProtegeManiac,

 

It's not that I need them so much, more that I'd enjoy collecting and owning them and using them depending on my mood. I love the HD650s and when I bought them I thought it would hard to beat them by any large stretch, then I bought the 800s and I realised that in many ways that wasn’t true and they are amazing. But they each have their character, the 650s are great for some more shameless listening, something rocky for example, because of their bass signature and less challenging detail. I do love the 800s, they are an amazing pair of headphones and currently I’m using them more than the 650s.

 

The 800s have a wonderful clarity that makes listening to them a joy, however they are exceptionally clear and revealing. I’d use the 800s if I want to really get into thinking about the music and hearing every detail, I find this wonderful but it does take more focus and distracts from a simpler level of enjoyment. If I just want to switch off and take some time away from life the 650s are awesome for that, they don't take the effort the 800s do and that can be exactly what I'm looking for at times.

 

I think the 700s should fall somewhere in between those, allowing me a little of both if I don't want to completely switch off, but also allowing enough clarity to get inside the music and appreciate it technically when I want too, but not to the same extent that the 800s do.

 

That was the rational justification, the irrational side of this is my love of completing a collection (can be anything, if I enjoy something I can get a bit collect obsessed). If I bought the 600s and the 598s, etc, this would only be for the last irrational reason. But I still may do that.

 

All this aside, the HDVD800 has 4 headphone outputs so if some friends come around we could all try them out together and demo them, assuming they want to check out the headphones.

 

I hope that makes sense.

 

Dan.

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81 View Post
 

 

Hi ProtegeManiac,

 

It's not that I need them so much, more that I'd enjoy collecting and owning them and using them depending on my mood. I love the HD650s and when I bought them I thought it would hard to beat them by any large stretch, then I bought the 800s and I realised that in many ways that wasn’t true and they are amazing. But they each have their character, the 650s are great for some more shameless listening, something rocky for example, because of their bass signature and less challenging detail. I do love the 800s, they are an amazing pair of headphones and currently I’m using them more than the 650s.

 

The 800s have a wonderful clarity that makes listening to them a joy, however they are exceptionally clear and revealing. I’d use the 800s if I want to really get into thinking about the music and hearing every detail, I find this wonderful but it does take more focus and distracts from a simpler level of enjoyment. If I just want to switch off and take some time away from life the 650s are awesome for that, they don't take the effort the 800s do and that can be exactly what I'm looking for at times.

 

I think the 700s should fall somewhere in between those, allowing me a little of both if I don't want to completely switch off, but also allowing enough clarity to get inside the music and appreciate it technically when I want too, but not to the same extent that the 800s do.

 

That was the rational justification, the irrational side of this is my love of completing a collection (can be anything, if I enjoy something I can get a bit collect obsessed). If I bought the 600s and the 598s, etc, this would only be for the last irrational reason. But I still may do that.

 

All this aside, the HDVD800 has 4 headphone outputs so if some friends come around we could all try them out together and demo them, assuming they want to check out the headphones.

 

I hope that makes sense.

 

Dan.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Would the HD700s be a good addition to existing HDVD800, HD800 and HD650 setup?