The decay of the cannons in 1812 Overture?
- productAudio Technica Headphones ATH-WS55tagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
- productSRH840 - Professional Premium Studio Monitoring Dynamic Closed Back Over Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- Beyerdynamics Earpads DIscussion Last post on 12/8/13 at 9:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Sennheiser Momentum Last post on 2/11/14 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Upgrade - Senn 650, 700 or Beyer? Last post on 7/21/12 at 7:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help... Last post on 6/13/12 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- If HD800 And T1 Are Overpriced, What Are The Cheaper Alternatives That Compete With These Two... Last post on 12/29/13 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
Got these headphones in blue limited edition and first of all, I must say that they look absolutely fantastic. Sexy in style and design. Not only that, the sound is amazing too! High, mid lows are...
As a precautionary remark: this is the first headphone review I have ever written - although I have read a lot of them; moreover these are the first pair of headphones I own in this price class,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Why are some headphones more expensive than others? - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Mostly songs featuring a trumpet, piano, or guitar part, but other than that, no. I still believe that my earpods are great, and could compete with my SRH840's in terms of sound quality. It's just so hard to justify the SRH840's because of this reason.
I have heard the HD800 out of the O2/ODAC which drives them as objectively good as they can get. Incredible sound quality. However when I go back to lower priced headphones like the Sennheiser Momentum and/or NAD Viso HP50, the enjoyment factor increases because they have the sound signature suitable for my genre preferences. The HD800 is a technical beast, however in real world applications, It doesn't work out well with DnB, Trance, etc...
In the end, sound signature is more important than sound quality for me.
Have you tried a Beats Pro?
Edited by pdrm360 - 1/6/14 at 4:44pm
I think a lot of it is marketing and hype and getting what the market will pay for the product. The backlash against the Abyss ($1000 cables? come on...) and Ultrasone in general (ED8 and ED10...good luck getting half of what they retail for in the used market) and even the HD700 (almost a 50% price cut recently) are examples of badly priced products. I find Audeze headphones ridiculously overpriced outside of the LCD-2, but there is a market for them here, so they continue to do well.
One could wonder the same about amps and DAC's as well. I have trouble going above $1000 for a single component, unless it is truly revered (such as the SR-009 or the HD800, although HD800 has issues of its own). I have listened to $1500-$2000 amps and come away unimpressed. DAC's in particular, I have my doubts whether you actually get more if you spend more.
Perhaps not. What you call slight is what some people spend tons of money to get. The whole Head-Fi thing may just not be for you. It's ok.
Sorry, your post offended me a little. I am too a musician, I have been playing guitar and piano since I was 5 and 7, trumpet, clarinet, trombone, and euphonium in school bands since 10. I still play and practice these instruments, so I must have a musically inclined ear as well. Still, I can't determine any differences in quality or detail in my SRH840's, WS55's, or apple earpods.
I too have been playing many instruments for a long time, but that does that do automatically have "musically inclined" ears
sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing between headphones
best to try to visit audio stores or shows to get a sense of what really good equipment sounds like
before i got into this, first time I tried kplisch s4 I was amazed, coming from apple earbuds
For the most part, unless the headphones are really bad, you won't be able to hear things on one headphone and not another. It actually would depend a great deal on the quality of the recording as well. This is all what I've found in my experience anyway, but for me it's more of a question of clarity and enjoyment, not as much about being able to hear things on one set that you can't on the other, although I will say the first time I listened to the DT880s through a good pre-amp I felt that I could hear a lot of textural details that I couldn't before.
This was already discussed, read the thread. I was under the impression that iTunes used MP3 256 as I am not an iTunes user, and the last time I was that was the file that downloaded.
Got you. Just a suggestion, try a Philips Fidelio X1 when you get a chance. they are great phones for the price and I think you will like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kD6fcH58_U here you can hear the timbales and the guitar way more clear with the shures
Edited by wphantom - 1/6/14 at 7:15pm
- Why are some headphones more expensive than others?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › High-end Headphone Decision 25 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 42 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 replacement headband options 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Advice/Opinions 5 minutes ago
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)