Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Head-Fi Bloggers › Sasaki › CHORD HUGO preview report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CHORD HUGO preview report - Page 34

post #496 of 505
Listened to it yesterday. Very, very good. An intricate presentation of music. The light colours are a little confusing but all in all, amazing. I'd call it musical, but not coloured - at least not immediately apparently coloured, but there's something going on in the way it presents details and timbre.

Didn't try an external amp, but the on-board amp drove an hd800 as well as it did a pair of xba-40's.

Now all i need is money...

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #497 of 505

Great review.  Can you please help.  I have the AK120 with RSA blackbird and its good, but I know there is better out there.  I am contemplating buying the AK240 and selling the AK120.  However having read reviews on the Cord Hugo I am more than interested in this lovely device.   Would the AK120 sound as superior to the AK240 with the Hugo.  Then of course i want the headphones, which will be high end as well and from what you say the Hugo is more than capable.   The AK240 is horribly expensive!

 

Regards Spitfire

post #498 of 505
I wonder how the AK-240 and the Hugo together would sound? I got the AK-240. Dreaming......
post #499 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post

I wonder how the AK-240 and the Hugo together would sound? I got the AK-240. Dreaming......

 

Here.

post #500 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post

Here.
Thanks...
post #501 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post


Thanks...

 

I did not have a hi-grade optical tos-link interconnect from AK240 -> Hugo. Was using the default one that was provided by Hugo, so my AK240 was limited to 24/96 output as transport. Not sure if the experience could have been different for higher quality files, but basically if you are listening mostly to redbook CD quality then the difference is not very significant unless you have special golden ears and even then I doubt you can hear much of a difference. The main difference kicks in when you need to drive high impedance headphones which then Hugo gives a better SQ with its more powerful amp.

post #502 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

 

I did not have a hi-grade optical tos-link interconnect from AK240 -> Hugo. Was using the default one that was provided by Hugo, so my AK240 was limited to 24/96 output as transport. Not sure if the experience could have been different for higher quality files, but basically if you are listening mostly to redbook CD quality then the difference is not very significant unless you have special golden ears and even then I doubt you can hear much of a difference. The main difference kicks in when you need to drive high impedance headphones which then Hugo gives a better SQ with its more powerful amp.

In that case, probably it's far better (or should say economic) to just hook up an external portable amp with the AK240 instead of using it as transport to Hogo? 

post #503 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengwei007 View Post
 

In that case, probably it's far better (or should say economic) to just hook up an external portable amp with the AK240 instead of using it as transport to Hogo? 

 

Well definitely if you already own an AK240. Using it as a transport to Hugo is a waste of money since you are bypassing its excellent DAC+Amp (you are only using its UI which is very good but there are cheaper options out there if it is just for the UI) and you also cannot benefit from its native DSD playback using it as a transport.

 

Before you go buying and hooking up AK240 with an external amp, maybe you can try RWAK120-B + balanced external amp (if you already own RWAK120-B), but I really don't want to go back to AK120's laggy UI after having AK240. :happy_face1: Not sure if AK240's dual CS4398s + a good balanced amp will beat RWAK120-B's dual WM8741s + the same amp since I do not have RWAK120-B and have not audition it before. Will need to ask someone that owns both to do such an A-B test (maybe @Vinnie R. can help us once he gets down to it since he owns both). @rudi0504 has both AK240 and Titan-Mod but I think he has only done a single-ended setup.

 

Portability is another issue when stacking multiple devices. Depending on your preference, you may/may not want to bring along more than 1 device. IMO AK240 alone is good enough for the noisy outdoor/on-the-go environment use with IEMs since I tend to travel without a bag and do not like the idea of carrying multiple devices. Having 1 DAP in addition to my mobile phone is already the limit I can settle with.


Edited by Bluebear - 3/25/14 at 1:13am
post #504 of 505

I had the pleasure of listening to the Chord Hugo at the SoCal Head-fi meet with Audeze LCD-3 or LCD-X which one I can't remember sadly. Either way they sounded absolutely incredible and to my disbelief such a large sound was coming out of a tiny little thing. The product is pimped out with cool lights that change every time you move up to another volume with the scroll wheel. This product really changes the game when it comes to portable audio and I sure wish I could shell out that amount.. Off to Vegas! haha

post #505 of 505
Great to know you liked the Hugo. Can you tell me which dap was used with it. I am hoping to get one to use with my AK120 -can't stretch to the AK240.
Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sasaki

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Head-Fi Bloggers › Sasaki › CHORD HUGO preview report