I am about to go out and buy me a nice pair of headphones for my computer. Because I am only an infant in terms of my experience with headphones and audio systems for the PC, I ran into some problems. Also, it might be an important mention that I, primarily but not only, will be using my headset for gaming, and Immersion/sound quality is the biggest factor in choosing what pair I want to go with.
So far I am looking at a nice pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones + the Asus Xonar DX dedicated soundcard. I might also be buying the astro mixamp pro in a more distant future, primarily because it can produce Dolby Digital live surround sound.
I did my research but I just couldn't find any posts that gave 100% clear answers to the questions I had.
My questions are:
- Is there any way to get proper surround sound through the headphones and the soundcard alone, that match the quality of the surround sound produced by the astro mixamp pro + headphones + soundcard?
- How good is the sound quality of the headphone+ sound card combination compared to the quality of headphones + soundcard + mixamp?
- Is there any good alternative to the astro mixamp pro that can:
- Produce Dolby Digital Live surround sound
- Output good quality sound
- Is in the same price range as the astro mixamp pro (tight budget)
(- Outputs the sound through optical and coaxial cables (I've let myself persuade into thinking that it is crucial to the quality of the sound)
- If I do get a mixamp, is the sennheiser HD 598 headphones still the optimal pair of headphones to get in the same price range and with open-back design?
The reason why I can't include a budget, is because the prices will differs from place to place. If you have any questions, or even other suggestions that deviate ( is that even the right word? I am not a native speaker) from my questions, feel free to constribute them.
Also, Thank you for your time.