or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread - Page 219

post #3271 of 13975
But is tuna flagship store the new KZ flagship store?
post #3272 of 13975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben123 View Post

But is tuna flagship store the new KZ flagship store?

Don't think so... 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikdas95 View Post
 

Just received my ED8m ( Blue ). I don't know why, but the before burn-in somewhat sounds like the after burn-in EDSE except for the quality of treble and highs. clarity in both instrumental and vocal in treble and highs is not good: has sibilance. Details maybe a little less but doesn't make much of a difference except for symphonies. Mids are far better than EDSE. Bass seems to be a tad more than EDSE. Melodeth does sound a little better in terms of the tone ( a little sweeter ) to the whole stage. Using WASAPI event config in Jriver.

For me ED8m (Red) got improved a lot after burn in. Let know once you think you've burned it in. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRManenti View Post


They don't have two colors, one option comes with the package that you posted, the other comes with what I'm assuming is the traditional cardboard box.

I see... thanks for the info : ) 

post #3273 of 13975
Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikdas95 View Post
 

Just received my ED8m ( Blue ). I don't know why, but the before burn-in somewhat sounds like the after burn-in EDSE except for the quality of treble and highs. clarity in both instrumental and vocal in treble and highs is not good: has sibilance. Details maybe a little less but doesn't make much of a difference except for symphonies. Mids are far better than EDSE. Bass seems to be a tad more than EDSE. Melodeth does sound a little better in terms of the tone ( a little sweeter ) to the whole stage. Using WASAPI event config in Jriver.

Also try all ear tips, sound depends very much on them. To my ear, spiral eartips yield best sound. 

post #3274 of 13975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeiem View Post
 

Also try all ear tips, sound depends very much on them. To my ear, spiral eartips yield best sound. 

+1

post #3275 of 13975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeiem View Post
 

Also try all ear tips, sound depends very much on them. To my ear, spiral eartips yield best sound. 


I have tried the following tips on them:

 

1. Spiral Silicone ( default ) : Sounds decent.

2. TX-400 Comply : A lot of Improvement in High Vocals/Instruments and Treble but at the cost of details.

3. Double Flange Silicone : Enough Improvement in High Vocals/Instruments and Treble besides even better Bass and Soundstage experience with decent details.

 

So, I would say, #3 option suits me the best.

 

Status: 5 hours of Burn-In


Edited by souvikdas95 - 4/14/15 at 7:01am
post #3276 of 13975

My current thoughts:

Does N45 mean that Neodymium has been used in ED8m ( BLUE )? If so, no doubt, why it is more natural sounding ( not funny sounding - as some of you guys believe so ) than EDSE.

EDSE has a sort of damp and closed soundstage. Very rarely, it would open up - depends on Source. ED8m activates better with a much open and airier soundstage.

Details maybe a little less, part of which is suppressed, maybe due to weight of the bass and width of the soundstage in case of ED8m but it's yet debatable. This is because, I have observed details much finer than EDSE in parts of sound, which requires less populated soundstage, such as in case of sounds of light-rainfall in forests, alleys, mountains, valleys and various other natural as well as artistic environments. EDSE just can't amend such details.

Now based on burn-in of EDSE, my whole deduction has changed. I believed that EDSE had a good sub-bass. Rather, it has good mid-bass. I used to think its soundstage was good, especially compared to its bass. Now, I believe, it gets its bass, only because of the small soundstage that it has. Only thing it's best at, compared to anything else that it has, would be its speech clarity and instrument separation at all regions without even a little sibilance - thanks to its double magnetic coil. ED8m has comparatively lower clarity ( as discussed earliar ) but an on-the-go listener won't find any difference if he/she was asked to compare. I have observed certain improvement in highs and treble after a little burn-in and definately expect and predict more, based on reviews by others.

Now, the place where EDSE fails to make an impact - huge failure, is its mids. It gives a detailed but literally, more or less, blank-stereo / mono image of any instrument or voices played in this region, which before burn-in, I used to believe, was exceptionally great ( I guess I was only an amateur )

Also, no doubt, ED8m has better 3D imaging capability as compared to EDSE.

So, I would say that EDSE is relatively mediocre compared to ED8m ( BLUE ). I have no idea, how the RED ones sound.


Edited by souvikdas95 - 4/14/15 at 8:49am
post #3277 of 13975

You made me curious. ED8 should have very boomy - midrange bleeding- bass, and only bass. Are you a basshead that you find them natural?

post #3278 of 13975

<removed>


Edited by souvikdas95 - 4/14/15 at 9:37am
post #3279 of 13975

Actually, to be more precised, I have had an over-the-ear headset ( Sennheiser HD 202 II ) that sounded like these when I first bought. Now it's been 4 years ( uncountable hours of burn-in ). Till last time I listened to them, they were very good sounding. Required a lot of burn-in - a lot!! I believe that, once the diaphragm becomes a little loose, it will solve the problem with the midrange-bleeding.

Ok, so I was mistaken about midrange-bleeding factor. Does that mean that bass eats up clarity in some frequencies in lower-mid region? Not really! I like bass but I don't like bass ruining music. Till now, I did not have such an experience with these in ears. Although harsh treble and highs with sibilance does irritate at times. For which, burn-in is necessary.


Edited by souvikdas95 - 4/14/15 at 9:41am
post #3280 of 13975
Very good findings, souvik. I won't talk much about mids since mid is the most confusing part of frequency for me. Talking about highs my ED8 produces airier highs compared to EDSE. They sound more open and thus grant nice spacious feel. Sub bass is good and Mid bass is super punchy. ED8 is very, very good for melodeath, trance, progressive genres. Mids are good enough, though since I have some performers like Havi B3 and Tenore, or SoundSoul to compare, I'd say mids are lacking. ED8 imo are V-shaped IEMs. This doesn't make them bad by any chance, since V sound is pretty fun sound.

Soundstage, fun sound and mid bass quality are two aspects of ED8 that amaze me.

This is about my red ED8. After a lot tip roll I settled on Zero Audio narrow bore medium silicone tips for these. Sweet business smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by EISENbricher - 4/14/15 at 9:45am
post #3281 of 13975

Oh, I have got a very brief and ironic description of EDSE and ED8m:

EDSE: Soundstage drives the Bass

ED8m : Bass drives the Soundstage

:P

post #3282 of 13975
Quote:
Originally Posted by EISENbricher View Post

Very good findings, souvik. I won't talk much about mids since mid is the most confusing part of frequency for me. Talking about highs my ED8 produces airier highs compared to EDSE. They sound more open and thus grant nice spacious feel. Sub bass is good and Mid bass is super punchy. ED8 is very, very good for melodeath, trance, progressive genres. Mids are good enough, though since I have some performers like Havi B3 and Tenore, or SoundSoul to compare, I'd say mids are lacking. ED8 imo are V-shaped IEMs. This doesn't make them bad by any chance, since V sound is pretty fun sound.

Soundstage, fun sound and mid bass quality are two aspects of ED8 that amaze me.

This is about my red ED8. After a lot tip roll I settled on Zero Audio narrow bore medium silicone tips for these. Sweet business smily_headphones1.gif


Can you try and listen to "Teri Deewani" by "Kailash Kher" ( Bollywood ) and tell me if you find the highs and treble still pleasant on your Red ED8m. Try at different volumes.

post #3283 of 13975
Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikdas95 View Post


Can you try and listen to "Teri Deewani" by "Kailash Kher" ( Bollywood ) and tell me if you find the highs and treble still pleasant on your Red ED8m. Try at different volumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikdas95 View Post


Can you try and listen to "Teri Deewani" by "Kailash Kher" ( Bollywood ) and tell me if you find the highs and treble still pleasant on your Red ED8m. Try at different volumes.
haha Kailash Kher's voice itself always has sounded sibilent to me xD but will give it a spin.
post #3284 of 13975
Quote:
Originally Posted by EISENbricher View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira Delphic View Post

That is to be determined, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I wouldn't recommend to anyone yet until we get some meaningful feedback. Let's hope the lackluster SQ of the ED8 isn't repeated.
Come on man, ED8 isn't lackluster by any means. It has its unique sound which is suits very well to certain genres. In fact, I pounced on ED9 on very first day only because my trust in KZ was unbroken by ED8.

Let's not judge things by our own taste.

 

I only had the blue, not red version (two sets - got rid of both). I didn't like the sound signature, specifically the muddy bass. And the design - too much metal - too heavy. The EDSE were superior in every way to my ears. The reds must be better?

As long as you guys like the ED8 - that's great! I remember when if first came out many of us weren't happy with the blue version. Hisoundfi, for example, iirc.

For the ED9 - I'd rather see people hype it AFTER they actually get a pair (and I assume like the SQ) as opposed to before :normal_smile :


Edited by Ira Delphic - 4/14/15 at 10:55am
post #3285 of 13975
Quote:
And the design - too much metal - too heavy. The EDSE were superior in every way to my ears.

Much heavier than EDSE? Edse is already too heavy for me (compared to piston2), can`t imagine even more heavy ED8 :rolleyes:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread