or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › "Please Stop 'Burning In' Your Earphones"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Please Stop 'Burning In' Your Earphones" - Page 7  

post #91 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rommy View Post

none of you even know what your babbling about,
Then why are you interested in continuing this conversation?
post #92 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Rommy - you seem to be ignoring my posts.

I feel you bro. :happy_face1:

Has he called you closed-minded yet?

 

 

edit: A random guy's anecdote (K550 changing its sound signature significantly 3 times during burn-in) vs. an AKG employee saying that they have no knowledge of driver burn-in ...

I happily dismiss the random guy's anecdote.


Edited by xnor - 1/8/14 at 1:41pm
post #93 of 164

So with some dynamic drivers there MAY be SOME mechanical differences, and possible actual perceptual changes. I was never one to believe in such a thing but this reinforces my thinking. I always found it annoying when a package arrives and I can't even use the goods inside for a day or so based on some crazy ritual the vets seem to be convinces (and that alone. Even with Shure's findings it's hard to justify such a practice)

 

My next pair of dynamic drivers will enjoy the light of day around my head as soon as the bx is gleefully cannibalized. and the BAs I have on order won't know what hit them when they leave the hands of the postman :p 

post #94 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post
 

I feel you bro. :happy_face1:

Has he called you closed-minded yet?

 

Nope - I'm still trying to work out if he actually does believe in major changes in headphones after burn-in (despite the overwhelming evidence against it), or if he's just trolling for the fun of it.

 

Based on his responses and selective replies - I suspect the latter.

 

Actually thought he'd scoot as soon as he saw that the thread wasn't going to escalate.  As a topic - it's been done to death ........

post #95 of 164
I ask the question again, how many sets of headphones have you owned? no one seems to answer that question. There is no overwhelming evidence against break in...why don't you guys read some of the owner threads...and AKG is Chinese junk anyway
post #96 of 164
And senns don't have enough highs for me..just my taste. No reason to put down the headphone because they recommend burn in..but I myself think they are a little over the top. .my T1...perfect!
post #97 of 164

OK - I know you're trolling now - either that or you have a little difficulty reading

 

My current headphones are in my signature.  Everything I've owned and currently own is in my profile.  All of the AKG's I've had were made in Austria.

 

Rommy - you can leave this thread now - there is no point.  It'll get closed anyway if you carry on the way you are.

 

EDIT - I notice you list none of your gear .....

post #98 of 164

Obvious troll is... obvious? :D

 

 

post #99 of 164
all I said was that in some of my headphones I noticed a difference after break in and some I did not. Everyone jumped on me for saying that..some headphones I own did not change at all. But two of them did, I'm sorry I'm arguing with so many experts here that are so sure that burn in is a farce. Have you listened to every headphone? Until you have, you can't make broad statements.I think that is fair enough and to dispute that is just plain ignorant
post #100 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rommy View Post

all I said was that in some of my headphones I noticed a difference after break in and some I did not. Everyone jumped on me for saying that..some headphones I own did not change at all. But two of them did, I'm sorry I'm arguing with so many experts here that are so sure that burn in is a farce. Have you listened to every headphone? Until you have, you can't make broad statements.I think that is fair enough and to dispute that is just plain ignorant

 

You're in the Sound Science forum, rommy. 

 

From Wiki (bold is mine):

"The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. The Oxford English Dictionary defines the scientific method as: 'a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.' "

post #101 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rommy View Post

all I said was that in some of my headphones I noticed a difference after break in and some I did not. Everyone jumped on me for saying that..some headphones I own did not change at all. But two of them did, I'm sorry I'm arguing with so many experts here that are so sure that burn in is a farce. Have you listened to every headphone? Until you have, you can't make broad statements.I think that is fair enough and to dispute that is just plain ignorant

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?
Let me rephrase your statement in more approachable terms:
"Unless you've driven every car a few thousand miles you're making a sweeping statement if you say car engines don't have a burn in period."

The reason the scientific method exists is because knowledge transfer via stories and anecdotes has a zero chance of maintaining its integrity. Without emperical evidence, every one will have to re perform all the experiments on their own, and even then you'll end up with a variety of conclusions.
Edited by proton007 - 1/8/14 at 4:32pm
post #102 of 164

:popcorn:

I am enjoying all of the replies here, even if it is getting a little cyclical.

 

Anyhow, perhaps rommy simply needs to find another thread.  Not to say this is an eviction notice, rommy, but honestly, one's time can be better spent than trying to convince others of your argument in a forum which demands empirical evidence.

 

It was fun while it lasted everyone!

post #103 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gignac View Post
 

:popcorn:

I am enjoying all of the replies here, even if it is getting a little cyclical.

 

Anyhow, perhaps rommy simply needs to find another thread.  Not to say this is an eviction notice, rommy, but honestly, one's time can be better spent than trying to convince others of your argument in a forum which demands empirical evidence.

 

It was fun while it lasted everyone!

 

 

Summary:

 

  • Burn-in solved my headphone troubles. Thank you Burn-In!
  • Bah! Humbug! Give me the proof! There is none? Bah! Humbug!
  • How many headphones do you own? Have you tried every headphone on the planet? If not how can you say its humbug?
  • Look, all I'm saying is Burn-in solved my headphone troubles. Thank you Burn-In!

Edited by proton007 - 1/8/14 at 6:26pm
post #104 of 164

We have evidence against the audiophile claims in the form of independent measurements.

 

We also have at least two well-known manufacturers of pro-audio equipment, microphones, headphones that say that headphone driver burn-in has no audible effect on their headphones.

 

Both are covering several headphones where audiophiles claim that driver burn-in causes clearly audible changes.


Edited by xnor - 1/8/14 at 6:39pm
post #105 of 164
sorry I accidentally stumbled upon the geek thread...you guys sound like a bunch of scientists. Or try to sound like one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › "Please Stop 'Burning In' Your Earphones"