or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Topping VX1... anybody try it yet? - Page 2

post #16 of 135

I got mine tonight and – yay! – I'm very happy with it. Connected my pair of B&W DM600 S3 to it and compared to my previous setup consisting of a Fiio D3 DAC and Denon DRA F-100 amplifier. I don't have the vocabulary of an audiophile, but I can say this: a lot of more detail in the lows and highs and a more pronounced soundstage. I've never heard Brant Bjork's Jalamanta this good. It's also beyond comparison with the Roland/Edirol MA-15DBK I had before that. I don't have any fancy headphones, so I can't describe the headphone amplifier.

 

Two bad things:

 

* At a very low volume, the left speaker gets more power than the right. My Roland kit had the same problem.

 

* Blue LEDs, argh! I was prepared for them, but I still don't like them. Probably going to replace them with white LEDs sooner or later. (To match my Mac gear. :])

 

Anyway, a complete bargain for the $125 incl. shipping I paid.

 

Happy to answer any questions to my best ability.

 

P.S. I'm new here. I just registered here on Head-Fi just to share my impressions. D.S.

post #17 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by qerub View Post
 

I got mine tonight and – yay! – I'm very happy with it. Connected my pair of B&W DM600 S3 to it and compared to my previous setup consisting of a Fiio D3 DAC and Denon DRA F-100 amplifier. I don't have the vocabulary of an audiophile, but I can say this: a lot of more detail in the lows and highs and a more pronounced soundstage. I've never heard Brant Bjork's Jalamanta this good. It's also beyond comparison with the Roland/Edirol MA-15DBK I had before that. I don't have any fancy headphones, so I can't describe the headphone amplifier.

 

Two bad things:

 

* At a very low volume, the left speaker gets more power than the right. My Roland kit had the same problem.

 

* Blue LEDs, argh! I was prepared for them, but I still don't like them. Probably going to replace them with white LEDs sooner or later. (To match my Mac gear. :])

 

Anyway, a complete bargain for the $125 incl. shipping I paid.

 

Happy to answer any questions to my best ability.

 

P.S. I'm new here. I just registered here on Head-Fi just to share my impressions. D.S.

 

Thanks for posting about your new VX1. I'm still on the fence in getting it and waiting for more reviews.

 

-How did you determine that the left speaker gets more power than the right? Left speaker is louder and used an SPL meter to test?


Edited by SCSI - 1/28/14 at 9:42pm
post #18 of 135
Quote:

-How did you determine that the left speaker gets more power than the right? Left speaker is louder and used an SPL meter to test?

 

Just my plain listening; the difference is quite obvious.

 

I also just confirmed it with a sound meter iPhone app. :)

 

This might actually make me lower the volume in iTunes during late night listening so that I can increase the VX1 amplification to a level where the imbalance is gone.

 

Update: This thread seems relevant: Question: Low-Volume Channel Imbalance


Edited by qerub - 1/29/14 at 2:21pm
post #19 of 135

Can I just ask is this through USB or Aux that it gets imbalanced?

post #20 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticfox007 View Post
 

Can I just ask is this through USB or Aux that it gets imbalanced?

 

Both. I just tried to be sure.

 

I'm going to try and replace the volume potentiometer in the future.

 

To be specific: The problem only exist between 7 o'clock (the minimum) and 8 o'clock on the volume dial. Other copies of the amplifier might not be affected, as it all probably depends on the pot lottery.

post #21 of 135

 I wanted to replace my current setup with this one. One of my issue is imbalance, lol.

 

Thank you for testing, might gamble on it. 

post #22 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by qerub View Post

Both. I just tried to be sure.

I'm going to try and replace the volume potentiometer in the future.

To be specific: The problem only exist between 7 o'clock (the minimum) and 8 o'clock on the volume dial. Other copies of the amplifier might not be affected, as it all probably depends on the pot lottery.
Hi,
Jumping in. If you experienced same issue with different electronics in the middle of the chain (Roland vs Topping), then prob points to beginning or end of chain... Meaning source or speakers. Regrets if I missed something where this was already covered.
post #23 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertical View Post


Hi,
Jumping in. If you experienced same issue with different electronics in the middle of the chain (Roland vs Topping), then prob points to beginning or end of chain... Meaning source or speakers. Regrets if I missed something where this was already covered.

 

Sorry, I made things confusing by bringing up my old Roland kit (speakers w/ integrated amplifier).

 

When I replace the Topping amplifier with the Denon amplifier (while keeping the source and speakers), the problem goes away. That makes the Topping amplifier guilty in my book. :)

post #24 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by qerub View Post

Sorry, I made things confusing by bringing up my old Roland kit (speakers w/ integrated amplifier).

When I replace the Topping amplifier with the Denon amplifier (while keeping the source and speakers), the problem goes away. That makes the Topping amplifier guilty in my book. smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, agreed. Thx for bringing me up to date / clarifying.
post #25 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticfox007 View Post
 

 I wanted to replace my current setup with this one. One of my issue is imbalance, lol.

 

Thank you for testing, might gamble on it. 

What do you currently use?

 

If the imbalance only occur at the 7-8 o'clock on the volume dial then it is fine by me. I placed an order on the Topping VX1 recently to upgrade from my Lepia 2020A+ connected to Asus DX but it is currently out of stock. From the reviews here so far, looks/sounds like its DAC is good.

post #26 of 135

I'm using similar,  just using old Auzentech X-plosion with 2020A+ and PSBs. Imbalance maybe line, have to find spare cable. Tried my beyers in the soundcard socket and its fine. 

 

I tossed up between vx1 and a little ta2024 valve type one. I'd like warmer bass. ATM bit neutral. 

post #27 of 135
Thread Starter 
Been listening w/ my Minimus 7's... very impressed so far. l'm not quite ready for a full review yet. I want to spend some time with the Polk Monitor 70's first.

BTW... no balance issues here.
post #28 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by qerub View Post
 

 

I'm going to try and replace the volume potentiometer in the future.

 

 

Don't do it, because it will not help.

 

The volume control is IC based. The potentiometer is just providing the reference R for the Cirrus Logic CS3310, which is doing the volume controle.

Therefore, your problem is most likely not in the preamp stage.

 

Reagrds.

SnugOmatic

post #29 of 135
Thread Starter 
For the size/price I'm relatively impressed. Not enough ooomph to adequately drive the Polk Montor 70. No surprise there. Makes a nice desktop rig. I like the speaker / phones or both option. I'm using the phone jack to feed a powered sub. My biggest complaints are harshness in the treble and that it disables my mac's master volume control. I wouldn't say it's audiophile quality but it does sound pretty good. Especially the headphone amp. smily_headphones1.gif
post #30 of 135

Great that I found this thread. I was decided to get a Topping TP30, until I found this thread.

Do you think I should get a VX1 for just $10 more?

 

It looks like it is more powerful?

Does it sound as good or better than the TP30?

 

What are the pro's/con's with these two?

Is the DAC similar on both?

 

Will use this to drive my Tangent Evo E5 bookshelf speakers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?