Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Topping VX1... anybody try it yet? - Page 9

post #121 of 139

Bump. I am looking into a desktop amp for speakers for my pc. I use a pair of wireless "gaming" headphones when gaming (due to mic and the wireless part), and prefer to use my desk speakers for the rest. Music and video at my home office. An desk amp would be nice, and I am looking at used recievers, but the price of the Topping VX1 is 1) as cheap as something used in Norway, 2) it is small and looks nice below my screen and on my desk, and 3) if I someday get a nice pair of headphones I can connect them directly. 

 

So how does the Topping hold up in 2016? For the price and a nice pair of used bookshelves? 

post #122 of 139

@ paulkemp & the Head-Fi board:

 

Surprised to see paulkemps post here. I'm in the same boat: thinking about getting a VX1 in 2016.

 

I have been resarching the VX1 for the last few days / weeks / months, and it seems to be the only product that meets my requirements. I want to have a high quality amp, and also use my headphones. All while not spending hunderds of dollars. 

 

Same question as Paulkemp, does this product still hold up in 2016?

post #123 of 139

I have the Topping TP32EX and it drives speakers and a headphone together if you like. Great sound and build quality for the money, no regrets on my part and would buy again.

 

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp32ex/index.htm

 

It also contains a remote control.

post #124 of 139

Interesting. The TP32EX is not a newer product though. Amazon lists its introduction as August 2013, and the VX1 as December 2013. So the VX1 is more recent.

 

Still good to know you like the TP32EX though. Any reasons why you preferred this one over the VX1?

post #125 of 139

I needed a Coaxial input which the VX1 does not have. Also it utilizes the Cirrus Logic CS4392 DAC and has higher output through the speaker outputs courtesy of the

Tripath TK2050 Digital Amplifier.

Lastly it has a remote control which I like since I use this amp to listen to my films through headphones and can adjust the volume.

The VX1 is a very good amp, I would say to you to look at what you need in the functionality of each amp and then choose the correct one.

You mentioned that the VX1 is more recent, this is a non point as the 32EX has better parts and is made at the same time.

 

On this home page:

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products.htm

 

You will see the 32EX is described as "Flag ship combo of TK2050 T-AMP, 24bit/192KHz coaxial DAC, 24bit/96KHz (16bit/192KHz) USB DAC and headphone amplifier!"

 

More info on the TP32EX:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/sirobako/item/tp32ex-s/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=564hOLMAy8M


Edited by Cecala - 6/14/16 at 3:16am
post #126 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

I needed a Coaxial input which the VX1 does not have. Also it utilizes the Cirrus Logic CS4392 DAC and has higher output through the speaker outputs courtesy of the

Tripath TK2050 Digital Amplifier.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBurger View Post

 

Still good to know you like the TP32EX though. Any reasons why you preferred this one over the VX1?

 

Thanks to both iBurger and Cecala of you for your replies.

 

I have looked at both, and althought the TP32EX may have a better quality, it lack those sexy knobs the VX1 has. I may have to go for the one with the knobs... I know, I am weak for knobs. 

 

Chinese products seem to have a very strong, or shiny, light. How are shiny are the blue lights when the lights in the room are off? 


Edited by paulkemp - 6/23/16 at 4:50am
post #127 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkemp View Post
 

 

 

............. How are shiny are the blue lights when the lights in the room are off? 

On the 32EX you have 3 steps of brightness for the display and lights. Step one is quite bright down to step 3 which is quite dim. These settings can be also adjusted with the remote.

post #128 of 139

@paulkemp

 

I contacted Topping support. And they told me that they will release a new model soon which features bluetooth. I'm waiting for that one! 

post #129 of 139

You won't be disappointed as Topping is a good manufacturer of these products. I'm very happy with my EX32 and as I have already stated, I would buy again with total confidence.

post #130 of 139

I've had one of these little Toppings (VX1) for about three years now - I must have got it when it was new.

 

I only just discovered that yes, it does suffer from balance issues when at very low volume. I used to have it in the basement and only played it loud - I moved it to the office and tried to play quietly sometimes, to find that the right channel doesn't come in properly until volume is up past 5% or so.

 

Besides that, wonderful unit with way more features than you could expect at the price point, and manages to drive adequate power for desktop listening.

 

Now they've got VX2 and VX3 models, which offer more power out at 8Ω - but I don't like either - the VX2 has no analog in (and a pretty garish looking LCD volume display window), while the VX3 has no USB in. So to step up would either call for cutting out USB, or analog input. Hmmm, I want the VX2+3=5.

 

And I've read the thread linked elsewhere from this one ... but I'm still not closer to understanding *why* cheap volume pots (/ICs) are subject to balance problems when set low low. Seems a weird problem.

 

Anyway - besides that issue, it's a lot for a little, and I'll keep an eye on Topping in case they make a new T-amp with *everything* crammed in (except for bright LED lights - they can go). I want one of those!

post #131 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandrew View Post
 

I've had one of these little Toppings (VX1) for about three years now - I must have got it when it was new.

 

I only just discovered that yes, it does suffer from balance issues when at very low volume. I used to have it in the basement and only played it loud - I moved it to the office and tried to play quietly sometimes, to find that the right channel doesn't come in properly until volume is up past 5% or so.

 

Besides that, wonderful unit with way more features than you could expect at the price point, and manages to drive adequate power for desktop listening.

 

Now they've got VX2 and VX3 models, which offer more power out at 8Ω - but I don't like either - the VX2 has no analog in (and a pretty garish looking LCD volume display window), while the VX3 has no USB in. So to step up would either call for cutting out USB, or analog input. Hmmm, I want the VX2+3=5.

 

And I've read the thread linked elsewhere from this one ... but I'm still not closer to understanding *why* cheap volume pots (/ICs) are subject to balance problems when set low low. Seems a weird problem.

 

Anyway - besides that issue, it's a lot for a little, and I'll keep an eye on Topping in case they make a new T-amp with *everything* crammed in (except for bright LED lights - they can go). I want one of those!

 

My Audioengine N22 does the same thing though the volume it does it as is pretty useless.

post #132 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
 

 

My Audioengine N22 does the same thing though the volume it does it as is pretty useless.


Yeah my office is upstairs near bedrooms, so if I'm working late it makes it harder to have some soft background music playing. I mean, it will play - but I'll just sit there making a screwface because it bugs me that one of the speakers is basically mute.

 

I also had a comparatively much higher-end amp that developed this same problem after a few years. I got the potentiometer replaced by the manufacturer, but it's interesting that it's not only a problem in the very bargain basement.

post #133 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandrew View Post


Yeah my office is upstairs near bedrooms, so if I'm working late it makes it harder to have some soft background music playing. I mean, it will play - but I'll just sit there making a screwface because it bugs me that one of the speakers is basically mute.

I also had a comparatively much higher-end amp that developed this same problem after a few years. I got the potentiometer replaced by the manufacturer, but it's interesting that it's not only a problem in the very bargain basement.
Yeah it's a common problem. My Little Dot I+ has the same issue.
post #134 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlux View Post

@headfi-Phil. No line out? I want my speakers directely connected to my dac/vx1. And connect my laptop to The dac via USB port.

Does a DAC give better sound than a mobotherboard intel high definition audio?

Thx
Your speakers will connect to the VX1 and your VX1 can connect to your computer via the USB (which will use the internal DAC) or the analog line out from your computer, in which case you would be using the digital signal processing on your laptop.

There is no line out that you can use to run the output of the DAC to some other piece of gear. Though Arsis is using the headphone out to feed a low level signal to his sub, and I plan to do the same thing.

I don't have the VX1 yet, it gets here today, but the DAC on the TP30 sounds better than the Realtek ALC892 chip on my computer. Not a big difference but it does sound better.

You hit the spot guys, this is the set-up that I want, amp/dac capable of driving a headphone and a bookshelf speaker as well. I dont want to be tied up to my desk with the headphone and I want some free movement by the option of listening to my music with the same quality as of my headphones. Can the Vx1 handle that or can anybody suggest an amp/dac on the same value for money as the vx1. Thanks for your reply
Edited by dockie7 - 10/24/16 at 4:20pm
post #135 of 139

Get the VX2, same price, more updated.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Topping VX1... anybody try it yet?