or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Amp for SRH840's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp for SRH840's

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

My dad surprised me with the SRH840's on Christmas without my  without my knowing. So far, after a little burning-in, I personally think they are comfortable and sound great, with very clear mids and highs, but a little lacking in the sub bass. To bring the bass to light with more emphasis, I was looking into external amps and DAC's under $100. Any suggestions? Do I need an external amp at all, and should I burn them in further? Thanks!

post #2 of 23

1. SRH840's don't really need amping.

2. Amping won't change the EQ like that.

post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4599638 View Post
 

My dad surprised me with the SRH840's on Christmas without my  without my knowing. So far, after a little burning-in, I personally think they are comfortable and sound great, with very clear mids and highs, but a little lacking in the sub bass. To bring the bass to light with more emphasis, I was looking into external amps and DAC's under $100. Any suggestions? Do I need an external amp at all, and should I burn them in further? Thanks!

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
My acer laptop and ipod 4G
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4599638 View Post

My Acer laptop and iPod 4G

The 44-Ohm Shure SRH840 really do not need to (have to?) be used with an amplifier.

But laptops usually come with very low costing audio hardware.

Technically, the iPod already comes with a basic headphone amplifier.

A FiiO E11 ($63) portable headphone amplifier, might improve the audio quality of the SRH840 and can work with the laptop and iPod (best to get an LOD cable for use with the iPod).

A FiiO E07K is both an DAC and Amp, so it can be plugged into the laptop's USB port, the E07K's DAC should be a fair bit better then the laptop's DAC chip, the E07K can only use it's amplifier (not DAC) with the iPod.

post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
My friend has a fiio E12, and I'll consider the fiio e07k if I like the results of the SRH840's paired with the E12.

Is the fiio e07k a better amp or dac? How is the equilizer?
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
The problem with the LOD cable is that I also have an iPhone 5, and I couldn't use the LOD cable with it.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The 44-Ohm Shure SRH840 really do not need to (have to?) be used with an amplifier.
But laptops usually come with very low costing audio hardware.
Technically, the iPod already comes with a basic headphone amplifier.
A FiiO E11 ($63) portable headphone amplifier, might improve the audio quality of the SRH840 and can work with the laptop and iPod (best to get an LOD cable for use with the iPod).
A FiiO E07K is both an DAC and Amp, so it can be plugged into the laptop's USB port, the E07K's DAC should be a fair bit better then the laptop's DAC chip, the E07K can only use it's amplifier (not DAC) with the iPod.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4599638 View Post

My friend has a fiio E12, and I'll consider the fiio e07k if I like the results of the SRH840's paired with the E12.

Is the fiio e07k a better amp or dac? How is the equilizer?

"Is the FiiO E07K a better amp or DAC?" compared to ?

I know zero about the E07K's EQ feature.

post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
I mean which feature of the fiio e07k is better than the other feature? Or which is better: the fiioe07k's amp or DAC?
Edited by JR4599638 - 12/31/13 at 8:14am
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

"Is the FiiO E07K a better amp or DAC?" compared to ?
I know zero about the E07K's EQ feature.
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know the difference between the fiio E07k and the fiio E11 for SRH840's from my laptop or iPod? How's the equalizer? Should I consider a cheap amp at all for more bass presence?
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Bump
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4599638 View Post

Does anyone know the difference between the fiio E07k and the fiio E11 for SRH840's from my laptop or iPod? How's the equalizer? Should I consider a cheap amp at all for more bass presence?

The E07K is a DAC & Amp, the E11 is an amp only.

Both sound drive the SRH840 about quality.

post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The E07K is a DAC & Amp, the E11 is an amp only.
Both sound drive the SRH840 about quality.

So would you recommend the fiio E07k over the fiio E11 for the price per performance ratio and the DAC, or should I buy an eternal amp at all just for more bass presence?
Edited by JR4599638 - 12/31/13 at 12:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Amp for SRH840's