or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › VSonic GR07 may be busted...how do I troubleshoot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VSonic GR07 may be busted...how do I troubleshoot?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hey guys. Not sure what happened but it seems my GR07's left channel is now out of commission. They were transported abroad and back and have been sitting in their leather holder all coiled up for the last few weeks but I'm not convinced I've done anything to really break the wires inside (my right channel works flawlessly still) or the left bud itself.

 

If possible how do I troubleshoot where the problem is? If I do find out what are my options to getting this replaced or repaired, especially if VSonic has a warranty center in the US (and the warranty extends past 1 year)?

 

Worst case, if I have to buy new IEMs, what brands with strong products in the 200-300 USD range have good warranty programs?

 

I appreciate any and all guidance and thank you in advance for your time and energy.

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex View Post
 

Hey guys. Not sure what happened but it seems my GR07's left channel is now out of commission. They were transported abroad and back and have been sitting in their leather holder all coiled up for the last few weeks but I'm not convinced I've done anything to really break the wires inside (my right channel works flawlessly still) or the left bud itself.

 

If possible how do I troubleshoot where the problem is? If I do find out what are my options to getting this replaced or repaired, especially if VSonic has a warranty center in the US (and the warranty extends past 1 year)?

 

Worst case, if I have to buy new IEMs, what brands with strong products in the 200-300 USD range have good warranty programs?

 

I appreciate any and all guidance and thank you in advance for your time and energy.

Try wiggling the cable around. I say check the cable area at the y split, the 3.5mm connector, and right by the iems. If cable doesn't affect anything, make sure the source is not broken. Try using them with multiple different devices. If nothing works, it probably is your left earpiece, and I recommend that you just send them to get repaired.

 

Shure has great warranty, if you are within US. UE also has great warranty. I've personally dealt with both Shure and UE's customer service, and both were very good.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post
 

Try wiggling the cable around. I say check the cable area at the y split, the 3.5mm connector, and right by the iems. If cable doesn't affect anything, make sure the source is not broken. Try using them with multiple different devices. If nothing works, it probably is your left earpiece, and I recommend that you just send them to get repaired.

 

Shure has great warranty, if you are within US. UE also has great warranty. I've personally dealt with both Shure and UE's customer service, and both were very good.

No go. :( Played with my cable in all sorts of ways while being gentle so as to not cause more damage and not even a staticky peep came out of the left bud when connected either to my laptop, smartphones, or tablet, all of which play properly through other headphones/earphones/car audio aux port. While playing music on my Mac I tapped on my buds and noticed a subtle clicking in the left bud, implying something is detached or loose. It happened again while typing this as I tilted my head.

 

As far as repairs go, where/how exactly would I get that done, especially in an economically sound way? If too expensive (i.e. spending 50%+ of the $190 MSRP I originally paid) I'd rather save the money for purchase towards a new product.


Edited by Mapex - 12/30/13 at 2:47pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex View Post
 

No go. :( Played with my cable in all sorts of ways while being gentle so as to not cause more damage and not even a staticky peep came out of the left bud when connected either to my laptop, smartphones, or tablet, all of which play properly through other headphones/earphones/car audio aux port. While playing music on my Mac I tapped on my buds and noticed a subtle clicking in the left bud, implying something is detached or loose. It happened again while typing this as I tilted my head.

 

As far as repairs go, where/how exactly would I get that done, especially in an economically sound way? If too expensive (i.e. spending 50%+ of the $190 MSRP I originally paid) I'd rather save the money for purchase towards a new product.

Email VSnoic at service@vsonic.com.cn and tell them that you have a broken GR07 and want repair. They'll give you an address you can send your GR07 to.

Assuming you are under warranty, you only should have to pay the shipping there. That's like $30 shipping from US. That's not too bad.  

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Seems VSonic's warranty is only twelve months. Sigh.

Thanks for all the help kimvictor. I went ahead and purchased a dented box UE 900 for 300 USD. Would have went with an eBay seller selling a proper retail box for 325 and no tax but people have complained that Logitech doesn't honor warranties for products sold by many Amazon or eBay sellers, even dedicated stores.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex View Post

Seems VSonic's warranty is only twelve months. Sigh.

Thanks for all the help kimvictor. I went ahead and purchased a dented box UE 900 for 300 USD. Would have went with an eBay seller selling a proper retail box for 325 and no tax but people have complained that Logitech doesn't honor warranties for products sold by many Amazon or eBay sellers, even dedicated stores.

:( Sorry to hear that. But on the bright side, UE900 are great!

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 

Don't mean to bump the thread but I figure it might be useful to others who are between the GR07 MK2 and UE900 or similar headphones at those price points/categories.

 

I am very happy with my UE900, especially since it was discounted 100 USD because of the "dented box" which by the way must merely a somewhat dusty/old looking box with the tiniest rip in one of the pieces of cardboard.

 

I don't know audiophile terminology very well but the sound is substantially better mixed than with the GR07, which didn't sound so much analytical but less emotional (I don't think its mids were as good but I had some fit issues). The GR07's also had some slightly deeper bass but I don't think recovered from it quickly enough. For instance, in the last seconds of Animal Bones by Protest the Hero (4:00 mark), there is this awesome bass line that on the GR07 sounds like it's somewhat separated/delayed in that measure or maybe the rest of the instruments in that measure are drowned out/not as high. On the UE900, the bass line loses some of its awesome deep sound but is still somewhat accented and sounds more on time.

 

My only complaints so far are only related to build quality. The blue vi cable (mic + volume and play controls) is broken; on many sources it likes to cut out sound to the right bud. My co-workers vi cable also has this issue. I'm going to be RMAing mine shortly. Also the arrows on the cables ends that indicate whether they are for the left channel or right channel can wear away if you touch/rub them. I'm not sure if this has improved with new batches of cables. Finally pulling the buds out from the cables can be hit or miss. A lot of people say it's stupid easy to do; for me this is only true for the right bud and not true at all for the left bud. It takes some pressure/strength to pull it, almost enough that you can imagine snapping your cable-to-bud connector into pieces.

 

HOWEVER the GR07 build quality, while good, possessed some massive user experience banes. The entire in-ear piece pivoted in two axes like crazy whereas the UE 900's is locked to only swivel along one axis. Furthermore the GR07 cable untangling was the biggest exercise in frustration I've ever experienced with any audio equipment I've ever owned. The UE 900 braided cables don't tangle anywhere near as much but don't retain memory either.

 

For reference I'm a punk (from Black Flag to Strung Out, Pennywise to Refused, Bad Religion to A Wilhelm Scream) and highly technical metal listener (Protest the Hero, Soilwork, Periphery, Meshuggah, The Human Abstract) who also frequently listens to more traditional metal bands such as Lamb of God, Pantera, Judas Priest, etc.

 

Hope that helps anyone who may run across this thread in the future. It's too easy to get lost in the UE 900 Appreciation Thread.


Edited by Mapex - 1/9/14 at 8:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › VSonic GR07 may be busted...how do I troubleshoot?