Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › SE535x6 vs JH13, UM Miracle, ES5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SE535x6 vs JH13, UM Miracle, ES5

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to upgrade my current 535 and I'm stuck between getting it molded to a custom and adding three drivers or selling my 535 and just getting a custom from JH, UM, Westone, or another company. Adding three drivers would be much simpler but by adding drivers I'd expect to get at least somewhere near the performance of some of these TOTL customs, and I'm not sure if I will. Also, does anyone know if any other companies that could add drivers to my 535 have quicker turn around times than UM? I'd rather not wait that long if I don't have to. If anyone has any experience in anything like this, help would be very appreciated. Thanks.
post #2 of 11

Because putting another 6 cylinder into your Chevy's trunk would make it a Ferrari? Just buy a real Ferrari, avoid the kit car and call it a day. Read the forum and this.http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

Because putting another 6 cylinder into your Chevy's trunk would make it a Ferrari? Just buy a real Ferrari, avoid the kit car and call it a day. Read the forum and this.http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed
Thumbs up! smily_headphones1.gif
post #4 of 11

i had a 535x8 and it was crazy how detailed it was, but ended up selling it because needed silicone customs for better fit and was too neutral for me. (and needed funds!)

 

I think you should speak to Lime ears in Poland or Custom Art Audio, same, in Poland too. 

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
I don't mind what it is as long it can keep up with TOTL customs. So I guess the only question I have is does it perform similarly? Thanks again.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

Because putting another 6 cylinder into your Chevy's trunk would make it a Ferrari? Just buy a real Ferrari, avoid the kit car and call it a day. Read the forum and this.http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

=) doesn't quite follow the parallel
they put their own xover, add drivers and reshell. that's a new car. (price-wise too :| )


>I don't mind what it is as long it can keep up with TOTL customs. So I guess the only question I have is does it perform similarly? Thanks again.

I had a UM sm3x6 and sm3x8. I'm fairly sure UM tune all the x6 and x8 models the same (i.e. sm3x8=se535x8). x8 is the same config/FR chart as Rooth LS8 and I didn't really like the sound . x6 was similar to miracle FR chart wise but to be honest I preferred my Merlins. (and UM said x6 < Miracle, but you'd sort of expect they'll say that since new IEMs are less of a hassle vs driver upgrades biggrin.gif )

Keep in mind according to the UMG fb:
Quote:
New build times from UMLab:
UM Custom IEM's - 7 Weeks
Re-shell's - 15 Weeks
(and that could turn into more time if you need a refit). or it could also mean 'difficult job wait forever wink.gif'

Depends where you are as whoever says. if you're in EU, you might want to try Piotrg and his firm (for silicone) or Limeears. (for acrylic)
If you're in the US - JH (I have a JH16FP and like it a whole lot more than my UM Merlin)
at that point you could well try Heir Noble universals or customs or even UM Mentor biggrin.gif or RDB+v1 or 1+2... or, non acrylic universals.
Edited by svyr - 12/30/13 at 10:55pm
post #7 of 11
Just to let you know, recently I got my reshelled tf10 back in 4 weeks after it arrived at um lab. I made my order through stephen guo, um international.
post #8 of 11
I reshelled a pair of broken 530 to SE530x6 and they sounded great. However, you can get better with full TOTL. The Miracles are clearly not a whole world better, but a bit more refined. Another thing is that I find these upgrades really hard to sell whereas a TOTL custom is sellable, even if you lose at least 40%.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I reshelled a pair of broken 530 to SE530x6 and they sounded great. However, you can get better with full TOTL. The Miracles are clearly not a whole world better, but a bit more refined. Another thing is that I find these upgrades really hard to sell whereas a TOTL custom is sellable, even if you lose at least 40%.

how much better did the 530 sound over stock. with the extra armatures is there extra tuning  in the crossover dept or no?

post #10 of 11
+1 on the resale value
Definitely a new crossover. They don't just stick drivers in lol. Have a chat to Stephen Guo
PS I think there's also a warranty caveat for upgrades. It's less than the 2y for totl for the upgrades
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

how much better did the 530 sound over stock. with the extra armatures is there extra tuning  in the crossover dept or no?
mostly better extension, séparation and soundstage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › SE535x6 vs JH13, UM Miracle, ES5