or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 40

post #586 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. View Post
 

 

 

It probably does the same thing as setting the volume to MAX and locking it.  So it's just max headphone output to feed an amp, with a software display calling it line out.  :p


Exactly. :) It's the next best thing, a make-believe line out.

post #587 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
 


Exactly. :)It's the next best thing, a make-believe line out.

iRiver, The Astell & Kern, bringing the second best things since the sliced bread since, 2012 or 2013?

 

*sigh* :rolleyes:

post #588 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
 


Exactly. :) It's the next best thing, a make-believe line out.

 

Well - we can only hope that the amp section is really good, because for a thick unit that does not have a real line out, would one want

to use an external amp?  I wouldn't.

 

What it DOES have going for it is internal 256GB (compared to the 64GB of the AK120 and 128GB of AK120 Titan).  But if you go AK120 Titan + two external 64GB cards, you end up with the same.  And it's an all-in-one box solution for those who prefer that.

 

Stupid question - how much GB are they putting into Android devices (phones, tablets) these days?  There are apps now that let you run 32/384k via Android platform, for example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro

(of course you need a dac/amp that can as well, but more are coming out).

 

Thanks,

 

Vinnie 

post #589 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie R. View Post
 

Stupid question - how much GB are they putting into Android devices (phones, tablets) these days?

 

 

Sweet FA, unfortunately.

 

It's even worse than the world of DAPs.

 

Seems to be 64gb Max, and mostly 16gb or 32gb. It's like the dark ages!

 

Take a look at this thing - it's got ES9018-2m in it and yet it's only 32gb onboard, and expansion slots may or may not exist - hard factual data on that is proving elusive, thus far.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695771/vivo-xplay-3s-with-ess9018-and-opa2604-true#post_10077706

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Flib.91.com%2Fphone%2Freview%2Fsolo%2F131226%2F21641030.html

post #590 of 8541

mostly 32gb internal + max 32 through microSD because of fat32

post #591 of 8541

64gb max using the low-quality micro cards? That sucks big time I must say. I am enjoying a 256GB CF card so to speak. :)

 

Oh forgot to mention it's rockboxed.


Edited by DMinor - 1/9/14 at 11:46am
post #592 of 8541

Doh!

post #593 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


But there will be AK480 which will cost 4800 USD, how can you live with the inferior one?

 

:rolleyes:

I never had a case of acute upgradite.

My main system which is on sale now is 11 years old. It's been designed by one the top french icons in hifi, who's 67, and spent 42 years designing systems.

It's more musical, dynamic, energetic, tonally true than many systems costing much more. I'm on the market for something new because I need to listen

music in another context, and also because I got tired of my Khorns (already sold now).

 

My previous car (a Jaguar, mind you) has been with me for 8 years, and ran like a cuckoo clock during that time. It was so gorgeous and I so much loved

to drive that beauty, especially compared to so many ugly boring cars built since and now.

My previous iPhone was a 3G bought in 2008. I upgraded with the iPhone 5 in 2013. And will upgrade probably with an iPhone 7 in 2015.

 

Again, I'm immune to upgradite. Good systems last more than 12 months.

post #594 of 8541
Is 2.4k really that outrageous when the RWAK 120b is 2k. And for that you're getting a balanced out, line out, and an upgraded Wolfson DAC.

The 240 you get balanced out with the internal amp, dual DAC on the same level as the Wolfson, twice the memory and a new design for better or worse. Lose the true line out.

I don't think their price has anything to do with insane profit because they won't sell enough. They are trying to exclude customers based on price and set themselves up as the luxury DAP. Even their name change was headed in this direction. And if I've learned anything on head-fi, the law of diminishing returns is in full effect in the headphone industry.
post #595 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantx View Post
 

I never had a case of acute upgradite.

My main system which is on sale now is 11 years old. It's been designed by one the top french icons in hifi, who's 67, and spent 42 years designing systems.

It's more musical, dynamic, energetic, tonally true than many systems costing much more. I'm on the market for something new because I need to listen

music in another context, and also because I got tired of my Khorns (already sold now).

 

My previous car (a Jaguar, mind you) has been with me for 8 years, and ran like a cuckoo clock during that time. It was so gorgeous and I so much loved

to drive that beauty, especially compared to so many ugly boring cars built since and now.

My previous iPhone was a 3G bought in 2008. I upgraded with the iPhone 5 in 2013. And will upgrade probably with an iPhone 7 in 2015.

 

Again, I'm immune to upgradite. Good systems last more than 12 months.


I am also a kind of person who prefers to go for the very good one and keep it for a long time. So we will see where will end up in this madness.

 

I got my Galaxy S2 when it was newly released, still goes on no need to upgrade (no money for phones, audio gears suck it all). I got a SE5way ciems, which will be my only monitor for a looooong time. Now I need a dap but still 2.4k, even if you are immune to upgraditis, is not a normal way of approach to this market, considering the things they brought and they way they chose to follow.

post #596 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel View Post


I don't think their price has anything to do with insane profit because they won't sell enough. They are trying to exclude customers based on price and set themselves up as the luxury DAP. Even their name change was headed in this direction.

 

 

With respect, I believe you are somewhat contradicting yourself, there.

 

If they are trying to exclude customers based on price, but not seeking insane profit, then their hardware should be streets ahead of their competitors, who are selling for a fraction of the price. But iRiver hardware is not streets ahead of competitors' hardware.  Sure, it gains in certain areas, but, overall, it does not deserve to be sold for twice the price of an HM-901 or even twice the price of their own AK120, for that matter. It's even debatable whether there is justification for charging double the cost of an AK100 for an AK120...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post
 


.... we will see where will end up in this madness.

 


Edited by Mython - 1/9/14 at 12:20pm
post #597 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


I am entitled to this opinion...I never called anyone a moron and you understood perfectly well so do not twist my meaning. I said iRiver takes us for morons. And I am certainly not alone in thinking so. I said the price of this DAP is indecent, and that does not sound too extreme. But I will never judge anyone buying it and might even get one on a crazy day. Do not feel personally offended when someone attacks AK because you love the AK120...

Please keep you advice on form and threats of mod intervention to yourself, I was just stating a personal opinion...self apointed moderators annoy me to no end.

And if all you have to bring to the debate is that value is in the eye of the beholder well we are not going far with that.

Finally, if you hate to fuel something, do not twist people's words and patronize them. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

I will say no more on the matter of price or AK pricing policy, because I do not wish for this to get out of hand either.

Of course you did. "us potential clients, for gullible morons". You think anyone that buys it is a moron or that AK does. Either meaning fits what I wrote. What else should we make of your words? Of course you're entitled to an opinion when stated as one and without conjecture of manufacturer's motive or descriptions of their clients' intellect. I don't own an AK120 and haven't for some time so no, I don't get personally offended unless you make it personal like projecting my intent. Great stuff. The attackers always seem to feel attacked when called out. Sorry that you feel threatened, LOL. It was a statement as to what may happen to an open forum if this sort of unruliness continues, nothing about you other than your post as example.


Edited by goodvibes - 1/9/14 at 12:19pm
post #598 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

Of course you did. "us potential clients, for gullible morons". You think anyone that buys it is a moron or that AK does. Either meaning fits what I wrote. What else should we make of your words? Of course you're entitled to an opinion when stated as one and without conjecture of manufacturer's motive or descriptions of their clients' intellect. I don't own an AK120 and haven't for some time so no, I don't get personally offended unless you make it personal like projecting my intent. Great stuff. The attackers always seem to feel attacked when called out. Sorry that you feel threatened, LOL. It was a statement as to what may happen to an open forum if this sort of unruliness continues, nothing about you other than your post as example.
Go and check the word potential in the dictionary. "LOL". Someone who he is a potential buyer, including me (that is what us means), not someome who buys. But let us agree to disagree and stop this sterile debate.
Edited by Mimouille - 1/9/14 at 12:27pm
post #599 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

 

With respect, I believe you are somewhat contradicting yourself, there.

 

If they are trying to exclude customers based on price, but not seeking insane profit, then their hardware should be streets ahead of their competitors, who are selling for a fraction of the price. But iRiver hardware is not streets ahead of competitors' hardware.  Sure, it gains in certain areas, but, overall, it does not deserve to be sold for twice the price of an HM-901 or even twice the price of their own AK120, for that matter.

 

 

That's the whole Apple vs. Microsoft discourse redux. Apple always built products that were better. I remember the first Mac — I was a very young teen.

In Europe, it was sold the equivalent of 6 000 euros (8500 USD). I certainly didn't think then I would have that kind of money for that kind of machine.

But boy, how desirable it was compared to the boring Toshiba laptop I bought when student for a fraction of the price : GUI, box, what it did, everything

was better.

Then Microsoft took over selling cheap crap to millions and Apple was out of the water and half dead. Then you know the rest of the story.

The funny thing is even when Scamsung went out of its way to copy Apple, they couldn't come close. I had briefly a Galaxy SIII in hand for 3 weeks.

After 2 weeks it totally ceased to… phone, when I was abroad. Boy, I was glad to come back to my iPhone 5… 

 

IRivers has clearly an Apple-ite slant. And so far it's succeeding : they're not "streets ahead", but their gear is very sexy — while the rest of the bunch 

is not, or much less so. And in the hifi world, there is a lot of people easily blinded by all the glitz. For instance, when I sold my Khorns, the guy who

bought it — well educated, not stupid at all — told me he was on the market for an amp to drive the beasts. I told him : buy mine. It drives the pair 

beautifully.

He said : I saw an american amp somewhere, 6 Grands, I will definitely choose this one. Oh, I said, perfect, if you already know it and it it suits your

ears,run for it. Yes, he said. Well, I never listened to it. But I saw it: it's beautiful, and it's a well-kown US brand, so it must be good. (I believe it was an

Audio Research).

 

Nuff said. 

post #600 of 8541
AK does not have the apple ease of use...no playlists for instance. They are not bad but not reference. And while the first models appealed to the majority, I feel this latest one will be less consensual in terms of design. And finally, others have sexy and more afordable products coming out...Calyx M, Sony ZX1, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240