- 1,012 Posts. Joined 3/2014
- Location: Texas-Florida
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Replace AK120 with AK240 or go AK120 + Chord hugo Last post on 4/28/15 at 12:00am in Portable Source Gear
- DX90 vs ak240 vs ak120 help Last post on 4/28/15 at 12:03am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell&Kern, what's the best/great IEM to use? Last post on 5/27/15 at 7:52pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- How much better can the DAP listening experience get? Last post on 2/17/15 at 6:53am in Portable Source Gear
- Astell kern ak120 help or advice needed Last post on 2/13/15 at 8:14am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
Let me preface this review by explaining the issue I was dealing with. I have always experienced digital noise from, I'm assuming, my poorly grounded laptop. It didn't matter if I used the...
Build quality and comfort: Headband pad is a little too firm, may need break in. Initially putting them on, the headband is feeling is evidently there but with time it slowly disappears....
Introduction I initially caught wind of Flare Audio and their offerings through a friend's Facebook post. Cutting a long story short I clicked the link and with each detail I read became more...
Love this pair of headphones. Huge sound stage. Great for classical music. The bass is not shabby and is good enough to enjoy Coldplays Viva la Vida. Of course comprable amplifiers are necessry...
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 262
Gear mentioned in this thread:
So far so good with the update. No worries.
Edited by flymetothemoon - 6/26/14 at 8:54am
One question - are most of you using this DAP with an amplifier? I have been following the threads on DAPs for some time as looking for something to use with my UM Miracle. I currently have a Ray Samuels SR-71B and Clas Solo and it would be great to go to a one box solution. However, if these DAPs require a decent amplifier I will hold off until there is a better one box solution.
ALO does make balanced line out but they seem to be for portable devices :-
I guess you'll have to ask them to make a custom one for the Ragnarok.
On a side note, I wonder how the one I provided will work. I thought for the balanced lined out for the AK240 one needed a cable with a double head (for the 2.5mm TRRS & the 3.5mm TRS). Wouldn't the ALO one be "double amping" instead? :-
(From Double Helix Cables)
I thought the only purpose/reason for the second TRS was for Ground, not signal. All signal was through the 2.5mm TRRS...or, am I not understanding your question?
Nope you're right, it's my understanding that's dodgy. Cheers for helping clear that up.
Downloaded the 1.15 firmware yesterday. Sound has changed for the better I think; the EQ is a bit more effective as well.
Unfortunately the gapless playback still isn't working properly (at least not when playing FLAC). Has anyone else found that? I'm still getting a very slight skip and stumble between tracks that should otherwise be seamless.
- The Astell & Kern AK240
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software 2 minutes ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Why tubes but no equalization? 6 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 7 minutes ago
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by tyco
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kite7
- › Flare Audio R2Pro Earphones by dnun8086
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2