or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell & Kern AK240 - Page 252

post #3766 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post

I had a volume spike once after playing DSD and switching back to PCM.  I don't recall the specifics but it was unnerving.  Even though it hasn't happened since, I'm careful now when switching between DSD and PCM.

Thankfully it hasn't happened to me yet.
post #3767 of 8541

thanks flymetothemoon, now that i have rwak240->uber->ref1.

 

is there a such thing exists as female trs to male trrs adapter? I dun want to re-terminate uber to trrs....

post #3768 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjohny View Post
 

thanks flymetothemoon, now that i have rwak240->uber->ref1.

 

is there a such thing exists as female trs to male trrs adapter? I dun want to re-terminate uber to trrs....

With the uber stays at 3.5mm gives you more flexibility and still able to listen to your other devices.  I am now having the Silver stayed at 3.5mm for usage on Tera while uber re-terminated with 2.5mm TRRS (DIY).

 

Going to Shanghai tomorrow for a 2-day trip and won't bring the 240 as it is less robust than the Tera and with much less battery.  Will bring Tera+Vorzuge+Ref.1 for this trip.

post #3769 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjohny View Post

thanks flymetothemoon, now that i have rwak240->uber->ref1.

is there a such thing exists as female trs to male trrs adapter? I dun want to re-terminate uber to trrs....

Congratulations SJ... Impressive setup there lol... Rock n Roll
post #3770 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjohny View Post
 

thanks flymetothemoon, now that i have rwak240->uber->ref1.

 

is there a such thing exists as female trs to male trrs adapter? I dun want to re-terminate uber to trrs....

 

I believe single ended headphones to balanced headphone out is a no-no. I'm trying to dig up posts about why it'd damage your device but I just can't find the posts at the moment.

post #3771 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

I believe single ended headphones to balanced headphone out is a no-no.....why it'd damage your device.....

 

Because TRS has merged (joined) grounds. TRRS (balanced) has two independent mono amps. You can't just take the isolated (L & R) grounds of a TRRS (balanced) connection and combine them. It will hurt the L & R channel amplifiers similar to electrically shorting them.

post #3772 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
 

 

Because TRS has merged (joined) grounds. TRRS (balanced) has two independent mono amps. You can't just take the isolated (L & R) grounds of a TRRS (balanced) connection and combine them. It will hurt the L & R channel amplifiers similar to electrically shorting them.

 

So in this case, what kind of adaptors work for the AK240?

 

Let's say I plan to order a 3.5mm TRRS cable. But AK240's balanced HO is 2.5mm female o/p. Is there an appropriate adaptor for it?

 

Similarly, can the 3.5mm TRRS cable be plugged into the SE HO, with the right adaptor?

 

Thanks.

post #3773 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSCODE View Post
 

 

So in this case, what kind of adaptors work for the AK240?

 

Let's say I plan to order a 3.5mm TRRS cable. But AK240's balanced HO is 2.5mm female o/p. Is there an appropriate adaptor for it?

 

Similarly, can the 3.5mm TRRS cable be plugged into the SE HO, with the right adaptor?

 

Thanks.

 

You can get a 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS but probably has to be custom made (check out DHC or NorneAudio if they make one off the shelf already), or balanced headphones TRRS to SE headphone out of the AK240 is also fine. Just not SE headphone -> balanced headphone out.

post #3774 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSCODE View Post
 

So in this case, what kind of adaptors work for the AK240?

 

Let's say I plan to order a 3.5mm TRRS cable. But AK240's balanced HO is 2.5mm female o/p. Is there an appropriate adaptor for it? YES

 

 

Similarly, can the 3.5mm TRRS cable be plugged into the SE HO, with the right adaptor? YES

 

 

Reterminate your Uber (or whatever) to 2.5 or 3.5 TRRS. Buy or make a TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter. (No, you cannot go the other way - TRS > TRRS)

 

When I want to listen to TRS single ended (like Tera) I just plug my adapter in first and you're good to go.

 

Double Helix Cables can make you an adapter. Or, if you are reasonably handy with soldering, you can make your own. PM me if you want a parts list and instructions.

 

 


Edited by burtomr - 6/17/14 at 8:52am
post #3775 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post

 

Reterminate your Uber (or whatever) to 2.5 or 3.5 TRRS. Buy or make a TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter. (No, you cannot go the other way - TRS > TRRS)

 

When I want to listen to TRS single ended (like Tera) I just plug my adapter in first and I'm good to go.

 

Double Helix Cables can make you an adapter. Or, if you are reasonably handy with soldering, you can make your own. PM me if you want a parts list and instructions.

 

I'm confused.

 

Let's say my cable is 3.5mm TRRS.

 

Shouldn't I get a 3.5mm TRRS female to 2.5mm TRRS male adaptor?

 

With regards to SE, will it be the opposite?

post #3776 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSCODE View Post
 

 

I'm confused.

 

Let's say my cable is 3.5mm TRRS.

 

Shouldn't I get a 3.5mm TRRS female to 2.5mm TRRS male adaptor?

 

With regards to SE, will it be the opposite?

 

That works but recommend going to the aforementioned places to get one instead of the ones you find on eBay. Remember AK240's balanced wiring is somewhat "unique".

 

Edit: Assumption that your 3.5mm TRRS is wired the Hifiman way.

post #3777 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSCODE View Post

 

I'm confused.

 

Let's say my cable is 3.5mm TRRS.

 

Shouldn't I get a 3.5mm TRRS female to 2.5mm TRRS male adaptor?

 

With regards to SE, will it be the opposite?

 

Yes, if your cable is 3.5mm TRRS and you want to use 2.5mm TRRS (AK balanced), you will need to have an 3.5 TRRS to 2.5 TRRS adapter.

 

See my pic above for 2.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS adapter.  3.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS would look the same.

 

NOTE: The adapters on Ebay are not wired correctly for AK's. The adapter shown above was is not from Ebay, it was made using Ranko plug, Gold/Silver wire, Cardas solder, Gold jack, etc...;)


Edited by burtomr - 6/17/14 at 9:05am
post #3778 of 8541
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post

An incident just happened to my AK240...



 



I was listening to DSD the last hour or so (via balanced) and switched song to hires PCM, all in sudden I only have right channel (I did not unplug my Ref.1 during the above process) and the volume is like in the region of 60+.  I unplugged and re-plug again and the result the same.  I thought my DIY TRRS 2.5mm was loosened and tried out the power off the 240 and restart...now I'm going back to normal stereo & volume. 



 



I've read some had similar problem (but seems like it was stereo but not on one channel) and not sure if anyone have the same problem occurred to them?



 



My firmware is 1.11


 



I had a similar issue and reached out to Jimmy Moon. Shoot something to A&K and have them get back to you.
post #3779 of 8541

AK TRRS (2.5mm)

 

 

 

Hifiman TRRS (3.5mm)

 

post #3780 of 8541

If you intend using the balanced out on the AK240, then I highly recommend having the cable terminated with a 2.5trrs and buying an adaptor for single ended use.

 

Burtomr is absolutely correct in stating Balanced to SE is fine but not the other way round!

 

Personally, I have my cables terminated with a 2.5trrs plug and am using this adaptor

 

 

I would also recommend against a 3.5trrs (of course wired properly) to 2.5trrs adaptor as it will put too much stress on the 2.5 female socket on the AK240.


Edited by spkrs01 - 6/17/14 at 9:57am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell & Kern AK240